Official "Your HUD sucks and you should feel bad" Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Derp there is? Is it there for the new researches that now have 3 slot weaponry? For example, explosive shells now goes to a new research and I didn't notice it.

Also, that sucks about the no nf themed hud. I know you have worked on it, but is there a way to make it more neutral themed?

2. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Wait, really? You research 2 slot weapons, and then click them again to research a 3 slot item? Jesus christ. I never play beyond art testing anyway so I miss stuff like that - in any case, we can't change it at the moment because they source the same files.

Oh, that was you who updated the research tree from blocks? Good job, it made a massive difference a few years back. Maybe it is a med, it just seems to be a half/half icon. Which I suppose works given the situation of needing to use it for every tank.

My short answer is wait until javascript is settled down and it will be much, much more simple to do. My long answer is we could do it now but it would be black and grey - nuclear dawn's yellow UI looked kinda shit colourwise imo. And it would delay the javascript separation. So even still, I'd lean towards no. Sorry. Eventually, it'll be done with hue shifting and be very easy to do once javascript is on fire.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It's easy enough for the research to point to different icons, it's just a line in the research_item script. Each weapon could have it's own icon if you really wanted to.

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

I think they are ENTIRELY changing how it works so in the new system maybe this isn't the way?

5. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Came to post about this cause I had to run off after the test earlier. I had to get somebody else to tell me how to find them, haha.

6. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

No, he's right - we could just add a line in the scripts. If Security did that for me I could make new icons, I had no idea that weapons are now branches either. Sounds unintuitive. Why not have a branch that covers the 2 slot and 3 slot weapons with a 30 second research, and reduce the research time from both weapons by ~

In any case, coloured weapon glows are now removed. Apologies.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

"Icon" "comm/hex_cn" //icon drawn on research tree
    "Unresearched Icon" "comm/hex_cn_empty" //icon drawn in the GUI

The icon names look like these, I think you can create things like "hex_cn_empty_unres", "hex_cn_unres", indicates that it is a weapon, but it also leads to another research.
    It's bad to put them in a single branch.

8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I'm not sure you can say it's bad to put them in a single branch when it's always been done like that - consider the fact that I never found this research, and most people didn't either who never were specifically told how to access it.

I can't change the scripts, so it might have do be done next patch.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Yeah but that was for different items, I can't remember empires ever having tiered research for weapons. It was always you got say Heavy Caliber Machine Guns and got both the 2 and 3 slot versions of weapons.

It makes sense for it to work like security put it, it just needs to show it works like that.

10. Ranger

Ranger Member

Same goes for DUMG, Plasma MG etc? I mean tiered?

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

We still need the icons, submit the icons with that naming rule and I'll submit script changes.