Wanted: New Maps

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by vipervicki, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Sadly, that's mostly true. However, I think small dual lane maps like canyon can be feasible if done right.

2. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Thanks! Scardy and Thomas!

thomasfn likes this.
  3. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

i highly disagree - a good small/medium pop map doesn't need to be singleline! - look at duststorm, cyclopean, homeland, ... great maps for that kind of games!

the thing is, the bigger the map is, the more you need to mind about waypoints! - thats just a fact - all a small map needs is some cover so both sides can't just directly shoot each other!
    a large map however could be flat as hell but that would be higly boring and ppl have more room to miss each other than to actually meet in combat!
    so small maps are relative easy to made, they just get very fast at theire max. pop. limit! ;-)

but as i said already more than once, we have great maps - they just didn't get voted often and at the wrong playercounts! :-/
    (instead well known shit like slaughtered never dies out -.-# - but to be fair, it seems cod is the new "everyday shitmap")

4. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Homeland is the only decent one here, otherwise these maps SUCK at low pop. Cyclopean is simply to big to make it viable, same with Duststorm. Too big for too little players to manage all of the land.

Point of the game is to fight, not wander around aimlessly till you come across a ref 5 minutes later, build it, go to the next one only to lose the ref you just built because some other person was aimlessly wandering to that ref point.

What?

The whole point of this is to get new maps because those old maps are getting boring. To offer more options for a low pop. Also, because you don't like a map doesn't mean that people don't want it and people don't like it. If they voted for the map... it got a majority of the votes which means a majority of people wanted that map.

5. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

lol... it's more the other way around xD
    at duststorm you can easaly drive from one corner to another without much "paths"
    around obstacles ;-)
    at cyclopean the map i bigger yes, but open too so long range combar is possible and you can drive from one corner to the other too if you know the ways! ;-)
    at homeland however, if you are at 1 corner, you need to drive all the way along of the map obstacles! xP
    but still it's size and the option for infantry to easaly switch pathways makes it a good map for low pop!^^

exactly, but then you know where the enemy is and don't need to search him!
    the thing is not that you necessary need more paths on a small or large maps, but you clearly need to mind more about it on large maps because if you do something like on homeland on a larger scaled map you automaticly increase the traveltimes and thus need more junctions to allow crossing lines - otherwise it would be very frustrating if your team gets attacked and you can't be there in time to help due to silly mapdesign ;-)

that:
    if you can't specify whats unclear for you, just read carefully again! ;-)

yea but complaining about monotony while voting the most awkward maps again is just stupid! - then maybe advertising other good maps that get voted not so often! ;-)
    there are nearly 200 maps ~30 in great quality - another ~50 acceptable (as far i can tell about my work with listing them - atm halted due to private rl changings!)
    most of them are on the nubs server, just needs to be nominated and voted for at propper pop counts! ;-)

as compareance, many other games have quite less maps available like ~20+only in some cases community made ones - tough they often reach higher quality - but empires is a mod!
    and for that we have quite much and also good maps already - tough new won't hurt!^^
    but crying for them while not looking at the other maps is just stupid!

6. Kidpaler

Kidpaler Member

Wrong. Those maps, again, SUCK at low pop. I don't care if you can "drive from one corner to the other" that has NOTHING to do with the playability of a map at low pop. I can drive from corner to another corner at any population on any map, it's a game with tanks that you drive around on your own doing that's a stupid point. (However this is my opinion. Some people like open maps on low pop but a majority of players dont. There are just so few small pop maps that can be picked during low pop times to make the game enjoyable.)

How open a map is doesn't make it more friendly to low pop, in anything it's the exact opposite. My whole point here is your odds, at low pop, of seeing another person on these GIANT maps is VERY low and that makes the game very boring. Sure, it can be fun, if you like seeing 3 other players before the game ends.

Which... is why Duststorm and Cyclopean are terrible for low pop. There's little action, a small mistake can lead to long travel times making it even more boring. Imagine being a brand new player and not seeing anybody and just running around... not seeing any action in a game you just downloaded. I'd quit.

What I meant by "what" is that this specific argument had absolutely nothing to do with the case you were making. You were stating before that large maps are fun at low pop, then you go on to say that "a map can be flat and you can miss each other but small maps are easy to make". That had nothing to do with your argument, so again, what is the relevance of this statement?

Wrong again. There are about, I think 50? maps open for public to vote on. MANY of the maps on your list are simply out dated or don't exist anymore which is truly a pity. But still, because YOU don't like a map and YOU think it's bad, doesn't mean that OTHERS think its bad.

For example: You hate slaughtered. I like slaughtered. You call it a shit map, I call it a decent map. I'd vote for slaughtered because I think its fun, me voting for it is not me having no choice, it's me wanting an enjoyable experience for myself, hence why I VOTE for it. Apparently, many others also find it an enjoyable experience because it usually gets a majority vote.

I don't understand this. Again this is deviating from the point slightly, I think?

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Why even try to argue with BRD...

Xyaminou likes this.