The Science and cool stuff thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Deiform

Deiform Member

It's supposedly more viable to build a space elevator on Mars due to the lower gravity. Considering also that it's closer to the asteroid belt, it'd make more sense for the first space elevator to be built on Mars so that resources mined in the belt can be brought back to Mars to be refined and help build infrastructure (as well as a space port). Mars would likely become the industrial hub of the solar system in a century or so.

2. Ranger

Ranger Member

I was referring to fast space travel. I don't remember but I think someone implied some Star Trek stuff, missions to explore outer space...? Currently just going to mars takes 2 years I think. So we would obviously need more tech. research pls

I believe we will reach mars before getting any technology for significantly faster space travel. Therefore, I believe that there expedition to mars will be significantly larger. It will obviously include qualified colonists and possible multiple vessels. I suppose multiple cause things could go wrong, so back ups should be required. .. ? Also construction of a large spaceship does not seem possibly for USA.

Problem is that making spaceships, even small ones, as we see them in sci-fi and videogameses, cannot take off from the earth so they would have to be built in orbit OR... the moon.

USA has always underestimated the value of the moon. They cut NASA funding to go make wars in the east instead of continuing the space program. Planets and stars that NASA is now discovering and putting in their charts could have been discovered decades ago with bases on the moon. We could have already have space mining with a base on the moon, and even construct spaceships and more importantly, heavy industries to support such construction.

Probably the Chinese will have this advantage over USA, if they do get on the moon as they plan. A base there will speed up their base on mars too.

US tax payer pays for bad planning, sending spacecraft parts into orbit with rockets. Moon might be costly, but it certainly pays off.

On the other hand, USA could possibly have their spaceships built on the moon once the Chinese are there? I don't know about that just kidding. I just thought, hey Americans ended up paying Russians to send them in orbit so why not have the Chinese build the spaceships? lel lel

3. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Going to Mars takes from 6 months to 2 years depending on the position of the planets in the solar system. Obvioously any mission to mars will be aimed for the 6 months travel time.

Here is Elon Musk's plan to colonize mars, which is most likely how it will happen.

It's not that valuable, if you're going to build something might as well build it in orbit of the earth, even if there's low gravity on the moon there's still some and it would become a problem sooner or later. The most valuable thing about the moon is probably the Helium 3, and we're not in a position to exploit that yet.
    Either way, fuck USA.

I doubt the Chinese will make it to Mars before Elon Musk, but then again I don't know anything about them.
    But it's not about countries, space should be an international endeavor, problem is, once you have the power to send stuff in orbit you become a significant threat to everything and everyone on this earth, which is why SpaceX is only in the USA. And it's probably why there isn't a more global non-governmental effort toward colonization of planets.

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

My point was that to build things in orbit you would have to keep sending materials from the earth which is expensive. For the moon you'd do the same thing but you could then have an independent base. That's what I meant. It could be a storage, research facility, industries etc all in one. Theoretically, you could have a storage facility around earth too but idk it seems less... reliable... permanent maybe...?

And on the other hand, with a base on the moon think of all the space tourists xD

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well if I understand your point correctly, you're saying that it'd be more cost or resources efficient to send resources into space from the moon than from earth, which is true. But if you store these resources in space it'd be free.
    Of course the more massive the thing the more energy you'd need to get out of earth's orbit. But I guess getting out of earth's orbit is the cheapest of all alternatives.
    Anyway I feel like I'm going, well not off topic, but too deep into one subject.

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

id think mars phobos Ln distance would make a space elevator impossible.

7. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I have had a huge childhood boner for that ship... its amazing

9. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

yeah it sure reminds me of your mother :grinnf:

scnr

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

11. Xyaminou