Forum Administration Needs Improving

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by vipervicki, Nov 12, 2016.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

Posters should be able to delete their own topic if they choose and not have to ask for a forum mod's approval.

2. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Thats one hell of a clickbait misleading title.

Xyaminou likes this.
  3. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

how so? given there has been some complaints about how the forum is administrated...that's the purpose of this thread and not being able to delete your own topic sux and having to ask for permission to do so and have the mod decide whether your own topic should stay or not..sux.

4. Caelo

Caelo Member

I'd hate for a topic that has been around for days with multiple replies to somehow disappear. IMO topic should not be deletable by the creator except when no replies exist. The same should go for editing posts btw. meaning you cant edit the topics opening post when a reply has been given, nor can you change a reply once it is quoted. You can always grab an admin to have it administrated, but the best thing is to think long and hard before you hit that submit/post button.

5. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

but mistakes happens, I'm pretty sure no one here is perfect and it should be the posters right since its his words, to delete it or at least have it locked. Every forum I belong to including the one I run allows members to delete their own threads if they choose so. Its not up to the mods to decide for someone else's thoughts and especially to disregard the request, and basically tell the poster you have no say about your own thread.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  6. Ranger

Ranger Member

Perhaps, being deleted by the poster could make it invisible to people that haven't posted, and then keep it as a locked thread for those who have posted in it.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  7. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

locked would be good too but that was denied as well. Members request for things like this should be respected.

8. Caelo

Caelo Member

Which is something you can see immediately after posting (people won't reply within 5min usually)
    I disagree. What is said is said and once someone has read it you shouldn't be able to undo public evidence. Having said that if it is a genuine mistake you can always reply to your own topic saying you made a mistake and ask an administrator to delete the thread. If it was just a wrong idea and you have new insights you can own up to being wrong and say why you now disagree with your own post. Maybe people can actually even learn from that :)

The biggest tech forum in the Netherlands operates on just this notion that when a member opens a new thread that cannot be undone without contacting a moderator first. Even editing a post will show that * percentage has been edited (and I actually feel it's wrong to not also log the original post, but ok.)
    Yes, a moderator should not be able to dictate someone's thoughts however it is their duty to protect discussions on a forum. Giving the starter of a thread the ability to delete that entire thread is IMO plain wrong. It would mean that whenever the discussions goes somewhere he/she disagrees with he/she can delete the entire discussion.
    You do up to a certain point. A thread is a joint effort though, so everyone contributing to a thread should have a say in it. As a thread creator you are only a starter of a discussion.
    It is like saying "I think we should flood NY city" in Senate, then after having discussed it for an hour and either a) not liking the outcome (they prolly say no ^^) , b) having come to your senses about the terrible plan (I hope), or c) whatever, deciding all evidence of the discussions should be removed from existence. I'm hoping something like this is not possible in the US Senate without an appointed official giving the approval.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  9. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

I totally disagree with all your points. It's too dictatorial to have it as it is.

10. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Vicki this isnt personal, but if you want that thread to get deleted or locked I'm just going to make a new thread about server adminning in general and we can discuss server adminning in general ( since theres only 1 populated server ) It's going to be NUBS. I dont feel like the oligarchs of empires should be able to influence MSM like this by censoring and deleting.

11. Caelo

Caelo Member

Wow, so the thread starter who after a long discussion decides to delete the thread is not dictating everyone what they can do? I'd see that person is a dictator as wel as censoring everyone who participated in that thread. I'm not sure which is worse.

12. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

paradox there is a thread already like that was done w/o consulting NUBS owner that is why it was asked to be removed or locked, things were stated in it that shouldn't have been w/o asking thecreeper about it first since he makes the rules, no one else and the poster who made the thread realized his error and wanted it removed or locked and the forum admin said no. that sux

13. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Denying someone the ability to administrate their own thread isn't right and is downright shitty. You might disagree with whether someone should be able to delete their own thread however it's common place on other forums to allow the original poster to request their thread be deleted or at the very least locked to prevent further replies. Furthermore, the original poster should be able to moderate their own thread such as requesting that shit posts be removed when they only serve to derail the conversation.

All in all, it's very shitty to deny the original poster any control over their own thread especially when that doesn't fit with previous precedent.

BlackRedDead and vipervicki like this.
  14. Paradox

I know all of it, we're talking about the JGF thread. But this isn't a nubs forum so there shouldnt be any censoring at all even if it concerns the creepers server.
    If it's a mistake, well thats that, he should just say it's a mistake. But that doesnt take away that we the forumgoers get to discuss the state of your server. It doesnt break any rules that we get to discuss what happens in the server. That's why im saying if that thread gets deletd because JGF wants it or you are asking him to then Ill just make a new one cause I dont think censoring anyone should be a thing here

15. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

exactly it isn't a nubs forum that's why it should be all discussed on nubs steam group not here, like all server discussions used to be and should be and fly did edit his first post, it's completely empty since his request to lock or remove it was denied.

16. Paradox

I dont understand why the people who visit your server cannot discuss your server anywhere else than on your steam group?
    That seems prone to a lot of corruption and censoring.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

wish i had a friend like you.

i don't think its a good idea to let people delete their topics when they are embarrassed or proven to be wrong, because then these people get to control the narrative.
    with this ability, i could post a very rude or just plain wrong topic and then delete it almost instantly, avoiding any of the consequences.
    i only think topics should be locked when they devolve into attacks and anarchy.

BlackRedDead and Caelo like this.
  18. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

The original post asked how should nubs be adminned, it was mistake and fly realized it after he posted because thecreeper decides that not the community.
    If he made a topic feed back on adminning nubs or something to that effect would have been more apporproaiete but in either case thecreeper should have been consulted or at least notified first since fly was asking for something that thecreeper decides without thecreepers knowledge.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

I totally agree. You should be able to request it and there should be a very good reason for it to be denied. Which in this example obviously wasn't.

20. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

its reasonable to ask for that thread to be removed and a more appropriate thread put in its place. and being told no we wont remove or lock it, is like a slap in the authors face.
    no good reason was given for it being denied afaik