The Science and cool stuff thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Paradox, Nov 10, 2016.

1. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

this isn't exactly science or technology but I thought it is amazing.
    This is a fascinating video of the Turkish art of painting on water.

Van Gogh’s Starry Night Painted On Dark Water
    http://www.boredpanda.com/starry-night-ebru-garip-ay/

If you want me to remove my post because it does not exactly fit the topic Let me know.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Lazybum likes this.
  2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

It fits the "cool stuff" part of the thread, that's for sure.

vipervicki likes this.
  3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i hear "we will have fusion in a few years" for at least two decades now and thats only because im not old enough to hear it for over four. iter - which is (yet) a(nother) PoC - wont be done till 2025, its successor wont be done before 2050 - with no guarantee whatsoever.
    also fusion is not without issues. it contaminates the reactor aswell and the stuff which needs replacing is gonna be a whole lot more complex. also neither deuterium nor tritium is easily available in masses.

its like fossils and fusion all over again. the ultimate source of energy, the salvation, all our problems will be gone ... till we figure out the issues of larger use years later.

ofc it should be researched, no objection, but this blind glorification is naive.

but we have a giant fusion reactor to our avail, and that since billions of years and its supposed to run for another few still. you see it every day, you just need to look up in the sky. solarthermal plants could easily provide all the energy we need. we then could produce hydrogen to store the energy. even if a shitload is lost in the process, the sun still delivers more then enough - and all the technology required is developed already. but thats no scarce resource, hyrdogen is the most common element there is, and capitalists dont like non-scarce resources. doesnt fit their understanding of how economics are supposed to work so well.

4. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Yeah, because now we are much more mature with the shit.

We improved from Chernobyl to Fukushima.

Although not Fukushima, but I would like to mention a case of high-level radiation.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokaimura_nuclear_accident
    It's mainly because of unprofessionalism though.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

Well as for ITER my daddo says it always takes around 30 years for such a technology to be operational and be used. A working fusion reactor is a big step. It's a big step even it works for one second. Even if it seems rather close, I still believe it will take a few decades for use to see it. I certainly hope not though.

6. flasche

the first tokamak was built by the ruskis back in its not even true anymore (aka the 60s).
    the successor for iter is planned for the mid of this century, but first iter has to proof itself and its still only a DEMO

so only some time after the 50s of this century there might be fusion ...

... or more problems.

while we could have a working hydrogen economy in a few decades since everything is pretty much worked out already. its everything there - since centuries actually.

7. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

I blaim the lobbyists and the shitty governments of the world who dont wanna invest into it.

I actually do, if fission and fusion had more money spent into it wed probably be there in the next decade or so. But noooooooo lets build more expensive fighter planes and tanks and shit

8. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Paradox, I'm not even shitting you Trump will listen to you. Go to this site. Type out a well reasoned response on why we should invest in it, but don't make it sound green, speak to him on his level. He wants an energy independent America, appeal to his interests in how a Fusion reactor would be the pinnacle of energy independence, along with creating jobs etc. He is trying to appeal to all American's right now, and people who even hate him commend this is a great step. All of Reddit right now is pushing for him to support Net Neutrality and they worded it as so, "It will help break up the mainstream media, not allowing them to hold a monopoly. It will foster economic growth by improving the infrastructure of America to make it on par with the rest of the world in Internet speeds. It will allow for competition, which will drive down rates for all Americans. It will make the internet more free."

He isn't beholden to lobbyists, he will seriously listen to the American appeal towards something and I think there is a good case to be made, in terms of economy/freedom that a Fusion reactor would provide. I don't mean to make this political, believe me, but seriously if enough people do this it could become a reality.

9. Paradox

Im from belgium, not going to bother with trying to make america great :P

10. flasche

[​IMG]

you might notice the usa at the end, you already fund it.

11. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

finally, politics have made it into this thread, my prediction has come true.

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

In the end though, I think we should support Fusion and ultimately fund more towards space travel. I think space travel is the one thing that can bring the world together, once everyone realizes how small we are in the grand scale of things and how little the universe cares about us.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

The only thing that can bring the world together is an E.L.E. then everyone will be equally dead.

You can't make idiots realize shit.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

he is role playing as the literal next president. how would politics not make it into ANY thread he posts in

15. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Apparently me holding similar views to a candidate makes me roleplaying, who knew.

16. Paradox

I'll report any of topic bullshit in my amazing science thread.

17. Ranger

Ranger Member

For any space fast travel shit in the future, we would probably need this anyway, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computing I don't believe we will see space travel in our lifetime. First activity in space would be mining imo. Then orbit bases to store materials and/or take them down to earth, or take them to the moon or to mars.

18. Deiform

Deiform Member

What do you count as space travel? We'll certainly see trips to Mars and a colony setup attempt within our lifetime.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yeah what do you call space travel? do you mean deep space manned missions? as in manned vessels leaving our solar system or at least going further than mars?

It's a safe bet to say that there will be people living on Mars more or less comfortably in our life time.

As for space mining I do agree that it would be one of the main priorities of space colonisation, because what's already in space you don't have to send to space. Once you have the setup to mine asteroid it would drastically drop the costs of space travel.

Now you mention we'd need quantum computing but you don't say why, I'm assuming you think it's needed to calculate trajectories. However may I remind you of the Rosetta mission, where they sent a probe in orbit of a comet, the missions started some 20 years ago and it required some pretty complex calculations. And they managed just fine without quantum computations.
    Would it make those calculations faster? for sure, and I can't wait to see how powerful they can make future computers. But I don't think it's one of the step stones of space travel.

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Space elevator is the best bet at continued space travel. If only though...