[WANTED] Names for new weapons.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Oct 13, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

just that it would need to be guided. TOW stands for Tube Launched Optically Tracked Wire Command-link Guided Missile.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

You see... To me, that's unnecessary words in the name. They belong in the description paragraph... Although it's nice to know what TOW stands for :)

It will still be known as guided missile.

Just like High Impulse Thermobaric warheads. (HIT missiles). Are known as nukes.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  3. flasche

i totally agree with you, players should not need a to read and memorize a terminology page to get what weapons do, its a violation of KISS and its a pretty good paradigma when it comes to gamedesign.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    BlackRedDead and VulcanStorm like this.
  4. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

could people stop writing "HEMG" - it hurts! :deadnf:
    "HE" = "high explosive" is the damage type/purpose and "MG" = "Maschine Gun" the weapon/projectile type!
    lets say you would use HE rounds on a heavy calibre MG you would write "HEHMG" - ouch!:sick:
    correctly written: "HE HMG" :|gramarnazi:|
    btw, different damage types/purposes can be written together, like "HEAT" = "High Explosive Anti Tank" where AT is the purpose ;-) (in this case added AT because HE weapons are normaly used against infantry and buildings!)

Also there is a difference between "LMG", "MG" and "HMG" ;-) (full list with other types aswell)

5. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

plasma cn should "melt" trough my enemy's :P
    tough, bio weapons should be more harmfull to infantry than vehicles - and maybe renamed to chemical weapons (or acid weaponary - corrosive like in bl universe)

6. flasche

behold the irony ...

7. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

urks, forgot to pay the [iron]y bill xP

8. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

TOW Guided Missile.

There you go.

9. flasche

my point was that it was proposed for UML.

10. Vdragon

Vdragon Member

TOW rocket was already in hawken (it's a straight going rocket you can explode in the air)
    2-slot/3-slot railgun: 2000kJ and 3000 kJ Mass Driver
    Research names: "SuperCapacitors"+"Heat Resistant Alloy projectiles"
    Long Range Cannon: Extreme Velocity Cannon (or just Ludicrously fast Cannon, or even High Velocity Cannon)
    Research: Condensed explosives, High velocity shells, Large bore rifling.

11. complete_

complete_ lamer

how about give them stupid fucking names like the infantry weapons

2 slot UML=Jekotian TX201 Missile Deployer

we should make it very hard for people to communicate to their commander what to research
    "get the missile deployer"
    "i only see upgraded ml"

its like you guys dont remember how confusing the research tree was for finding the weapon you wanted when you first started playing

Xyaminou likes this.
  12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

It's a problem with the research name NOT suggesting the weapon name, we have quite a few actually.
    "Explosive shells" = HE Cannon
    "Explosive tipped bullet" = HE MG
    I can certainly make change their names as well.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  13. complete_

complete_ lamer

i know its a problem now. im saying that i dont think we should go even more in that direction, as a lot of people in this topic are suggesting.
    other than that the reason why i dont like renaming current weapons is well known and has already been posted in this topic

BlackRedDead likes this.
  14. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

Extendeder Range Cannon

(or Long Range Cannon, if you want my serious answer.)

In general, I am against names that obfuscate the actual effect of the weapons, or the research required. The diameter that the shell ostensibly has does not actually have an effect on gameplay, do it should not be included.

However, I think it's alright if we want to change up how the weapons look or feel to match their use, or to switch research trees. For example, HE cannon -> fragmentation cannon if you wanted to make its anti-infantry capabilities more obvious, at the expense of maybe making the research non-obvious or having to change it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  15. Ranger

Ranger Member

I mention a lot of things you probably know below so don't h8. Appreci8 the long post m8.

I don't like weapons with specific names. I'd rather have light and heavy for missiles. For cannons I'd accept names with the cannon's caliber so that the size in slot is described. simple things like 40mm 90mm 120mm /Cannon. For ranged Ranged cannon is ok. Like basically it's a 90mm (two slot) cannon with kinetic damage type shells. If you're planning on making a 3-slot Ranged Cannon you could simply use the caliber to distinguish it.

Cannons would be like
    90mm/120mm HE Cannon
    90mm/120mm LR Cannon (Instead of Long Range you could say Ranged AP. I believe simple terms like mm and HE, AP can be allowed. Many games use them.) And this is just a cannon with a longer barrel and a different shell, nothing else.

A rail gun does not fire a regular shell. Out of topic now. It could be similar to an AP, but due to it's high speed theoretically it's kinetic damage could be equal or superior to 5 HE cannons and with greater explosion radius, with a shell of smaller mass allowing for more ammo.

Anyway, Rail Guns could be named like this
    Rail Gun
    Heavy Rail Gun or Advanced/Improved/Superior/MasterRace/Topkek Rail Gun

It could also be renamed to Coil-Gun and Heavy Coil-Gun. The difference is that the gun barrels the electric fields are different. The coil-gun also powers the gun barrel as the shell pass through it after it's fired. While rail guns keep the "barrel" always charged. In a few words. Also, it uses magnets so that's another difference of the technology. The magnets are on the rails on the both sides.

Same for Plasma Guns
    Plasma Gun
    Heavy Gun or Advanced/Improved/Superior/MasterRace/Topkek Plasma Gun

And you can add nice descriptions like"the advanced version blah blah is superior and allows for greater blah blah and stuff"

HEMG is an Autocannon. Autocannons vary in technology, size from 15mm to 40mm or even 50mm and fire rates from 120rpm to thousands rpm depending on the use. For example, vehicles like Bradley use low RPM 100 too 200 or something around that but the RPM can also be regulated. Also mind that Autocannon can be gatling type guns or chain guns.

So, I would name HEMG, a 20mm Chaingun and this leaves space for other chains guns like 30mm, obviously less rpm but more damage different ammo clips etc but idk. I've made two of those, idk if they are worth it though. Their dps is kinda the same I think. Made them months ago; I think one was 17 and the other 17.5 something. it wasn't seconds i don't remember how i calculated the numbers. I think 20mm was 8.5 per shot so 17 and the other dealt more damage but fired slower so...

Machine guns are easy.
    Std could be named Machine Gun. (General Purpose MG say 7.62)
    Then we the chain gun in game, but it's just a gutling gun. It can fire faster and deal less damage so it would be like a slow XM214 which was never used because 5.56 is just not good enough in certain cases. But if it Dealt the same amount of damage with the MG then it'd be.. OP? I mean if it's a standard weapon then everyone would use the gutling instead of the machine gun.

Depending on what weapons you want to keep. The only way it makes sense to me keeping in consideration slots and balance is to make the std mg (1 slot) a LMG like the m249 (Made in Belgium, blizzerd) Then make the two slot a General Purpose MG so a 7.62. and then the one slot gutling a 5.56. more expensive and heavier(?)

When I scripted for the lose my purpose was to classify every and grade everything. The calibers and slots suggest the quality of something so I think adding this would be good for players. Not for realism but for better understanding of the options available.

Well. Missiles are more complicated. First of all calling every projectile a missile is misleading. Dumb fire should be named rockets launcers for simplicity. Now, naming all depends on if you're adding new weapons... In the current stage it should be pretty easy. you god std rocket. an improved and fast std rocket. then a salvo of rockets. guided missiles and homing.

Now some of these have 3-slot weapons so here is my idea. Wait. Honestly I don't remember if for example 3-slot homing missiles add more rockets or keep the same number and buff their damage.

Anyway

Light Rocket Launcher (Std) Or Light TOW Rocket

Rocket Launcher (2-slot upgraded Warhead)

Light Rocket Salvo (2-slot Weapon. Same damage with the Std maybe? If Std damage is too little, you could increase the numbers of rockets.)

Rocket Salvo (3-slot Upgraded Warhead if you'd like to have them deal the same amount of damage with the Rocket Launcher you could decrease the amounts of rockets for balancing purposes (I wouldn't cause I'm savage). Or you could simply have them fire rockets whose damage would be between Light Rocket Launcher and Rocket Launcher.

There is another matter here. Have you accepted Rockets as your Lords and Saviours? I mean, do you wish to make rockets deal more damage than missiles? If not the above shouldn't be a big problem because the damage would be within closer ends. Like 35 to 60/orwhatever damage max. If you wish to keep missiles as the stronger projectile, you will face the above problem below.

Missile Launcher (2-slot. Homing/Guided Missile Launcher)

Light Missile Salvo (2-slot. Fires an amount of Guided/Homing Missiles) With Guided/Homing I imply that it's two weapons. However it would be nice if there was a research that allowed you to use a version that can switch firemodes.

Missile Salvo (3-slot. Fires the same amount of of missiles as the light version but they are stronger.

I prefer all Salvos to fire the same amount of projectiles with the light version but make them more powerful. This would be nice if certain weapons could benefit from two reseaches/be unlocked by two researches. For example, Guided Missile Salvo could depends on Upgraded Warheads and on Guided Missiles research. This of course required code support which I have long begged for. ;(((((((((((((

Basically put TOW to any missile weapon that fires one projectile at a time.

Considering in my idea there is this Light/Normal classification for rockets and missiles, there's space for a 1-slot Guided/Homing Light Missile Launcher. Each weapon could be unlocked with their standard research Guided ml and Homing ml OR they could both be unlocked upon getting the Tracking Systems research. It's just another early game weapon. For someone in NF going straight for heavies it's a useful addition until they get the first Tank.

Nukes are not Nukes. They are HIT missiles High Impluse Thermobaric. It's a HIT Launcher. It can be renamed to Vacuum Missile Launcher or Vacuum Launcher. HIT missiles are regular weapons. Like you can fire a HIT with your RPG in real life. An other possible name is one that describes its use. HIT clears to bomb and clear out bases so Buster Missile Launcher. It's funny, derives from "Bunker Buster". Fuel-Air Missile is also good. Fuel-Air bombs were used in Vietnam to cut down many km^2 of forests. I'd personally leave HIT Launcher, seems ok to me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Still reading this.

Deadline on Nov 14, all names will be considered.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016