[Suggestion]Suppression system

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Donald Trump, Oct 13, 2016.

?

Would you support a "Suppression" system being added?

1. Yes

62.5%
  2. No

37.5%
  1. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

After finding the "Bullet Flyby" folder and going through chains of conversations to find out where they originated from, I thought it would be time to revive this.

Bullet Flyby, the sound of a bullet flying by your face when it doesn't hit you or anything around you. What you may be saying is, "You want someone to record those sounds don't you?" well... no. The Sounds already exist, all 10 of them and according to Trickster, they were on the "To-do" list. Well, perhaps this should be revived? The hardest part for Empires, getting content, seems to already be done in this case it just needs to be added.

But why stop at bullet flyby? If a bullet flies close to you, perhaps it should darken your screen a bit, give you that "Suppressed" feeling. Why? It would make combat a HELL of a lot more interesting. Heavy MG's would actually be useful once more because you don't have to be accurate and kill, you just have to suppress the enemy long enough to give cover to your allies. This would be a great addition to the game as it would make infantry combat all that more exciting.

Grenades would have a greater impact, being sniped at would ACTUALLY kind of be more useful, explosions would be better. The combat system would seem... more alive and balance the gameplay out for newer players as well because if a vet is suppressed, the likelihood he can fire back while suppressed would be hindered significantly.

In addition to this, I would recommend that sounds be revamped in general. Give new reloading sounds in between tanks firing, give weapons a better feel. There are plenty of sounds already out there for free that can be used and it would be a GREAT addition to the game to improve the sounds as there are already pushes to improve many other aspects of the game.

2. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Sounds should be completely redone, it's true. When do you start?

3. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Definitely adds intensity to combat, and also realism. Games like Ins and PR have great suppression systems.

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I LIKE BEING UNABLE TO SEE SHIT, IT'S THE GREATEST THING EVER IN MODERN GAMES.

No, empires is arcadey goodness that rewards quick snap aiming and suppression systems really slow that shit down. I don't want slower empires, it would the worst thing ever.

Bullets whizzing by is cool though, I'd like the sound part.

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I'm not saying like full black, just a bit of suppression. Also, the sound is all there... just needs to be implemented.

6. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

BF is very arcade-like but have cool effects like that. Could say the same for CoD and all the others.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Trump, if you can collect me some reload sounds, I'll try to add them for sure.
    AFAIK there's only one reload sound for everything.

But that's low priority stuff for me so don't expect to see them next patch.

8. Neoony

Neoony Member

I Wonder if tank shots could get a volume reducement, or just fix how it scales with range.

Its annoyingly loud.
    Mostly noticable when you spec and try to listen to voice chat, I often have to go off map to hear it.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I agree.

Volume is scripted, I can play with that.

10. Avatarix

I totally support the idea, but maybe we could blurry screen instead of blacking it out?
    How is suppression realistic? You don't really get blacked out vision while being shoot at IRL.
    Also it would make empires more cool

11. Neoony

Neoony Member

Got a better idea how to simulate the feeling of bullets flying around you in videogames?

Ever played something like paintball?
    You got to train yourself to not panic when getting shot at.

I can only imagine how it is with real bullets.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't remember saying anything about realistic, I said it was a component of modern games. I still standby saying that slows the game down because you can't, or at least shouldn't, move if you can't see. Hate this shit in basically every game, the only one that it feels ok in was red orchestra but that was a one shot one kill deal and has a slow advance anyway, so works there.

13. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

dramatically fearsome!!! - w/o training you will be unable to move under heavy surpressive fire, regardless what a hard mofu guy you think to be!

even a trained soldier is higly stressed by it and can indeed lose some "overview" - darken out screen edges can reflect that!
    just read about the improvements made in BF3&4, they worked closly with real veterans!
    the "blurrying" effect should be only used by explosions - but as the king of stupidity told me once, we're not playing goddamn battlefield, we're playing empires!

so a suppression system could be interesting as a reinvention of the infantry (L)MG's, wich freak me out with theire incredible accuracy... (tough i love to build semi sniper MG's in any game with weapon custimazation!^^ - nothing is more satisfying than hitting an enemy with a quite accurate bulletstorm from afar! :P)
    other than that it doesn't fit into the game! - also it's questionable how to realize it anyway, to not affect tankdrivers aswell ;-)

14. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yeah, mostly hard to find the right way in games, as its mostly a psychological thing.

But I can imagine giving it to HMG and making it its specialty might be a good thing.
    It could become quite awesome support. And you might finally have a really good reason to go HMG xD
    If done properly of course.

Anyways, this can definitely support more teamwork or give more opportunities for teamwork.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  15. Avatarix

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's certainly not realistic in any way. Actaully it's one of the best ways to do it because we mainly use our eyes playing vidya (not many uses ears).
    I guess realism is opposite of arcade gaming, right?

16. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

agree, for LMG&HMG it would be great - but still, how?

17. Neoony

Neoony Member

Maybe better question is, how much doable is this suppression system in source engine?
    Or how hard to do it?

Iam not sure if I have seen anything like it in any source game, or?
    *googles...*

Insurgency?
    They are quite advanced though.

...the question you should ask before wasting more time on any idea xD

Xyaminou likes this.
  18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if you can have 2 hitboxes on a model, maybe just a spherical around the head bc spherical collisions are the easiest, it should totally be doable.

19. Neoony

Neoony Member

Yeah, some spheres detecting bullets is what I was thinking when I actually thought about the plugin on the cv and the circle around it with combination of this (lol)

Then they would have to be not too big or I guess you could have a whole lot of problems with it sticking out through walls or so.
    Or not sticking out too much when you are nicely covered or things like that.
    (not sure how collisions act to that)

But maybe something like csgo implemented that actually doesnt show your gun sticking out through a wall could be done I guess.

Thats where the question "How hard?" comes in.
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016