PC Build - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BitterJesus, Oct 6, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, 500 is more then 600, i stand corrected.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

you go to the manufacturer site and look at data sheets (thats the boring part of pc building)
    cpu
    http://ark.intel.com/products/90729/Intel-Core-i3-6100-Processor-3M-Cache-3_70-GHz
    mainboard
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5589#manual

seems 2133mhz is just fine.

also while looking up your mainboard i noticed you picked one with a h110 chipset. id advise for a z170 - more pcie lanes (the x16 for gfx aside) and the ability to overclock.

gosh the gigabyte website is shite

thats for the whole computer, not just the gfx card - nvidia lists the stock 980 with 250W.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

no, for simple gaming the i7 gives almost no advantages over i5 in day to day gaming.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I'm sorry but either you have trouble communicating or you think I'm in your head. You've been recommending 1000W for no reason. And the website you linked proved that.

I think you missed the "if you ask me" part. You can disagree as much as you want. doesn't make it a fact.

5. flasche

given the price difference id opt for a i5 still. at the same clock speeds the i7s are a whole lot more expensive (~1.5x and no unlocked multiplyer version)

6. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well, like I said, a computer is an investment. The more you invest the longer it will last. (again last = powerful enough)

7. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

When I'm building a new PC I basically ask myself several questions:
    1. What's my budget? (your's looks to be in the $750-1000 range)
    2. Do I plan on overclocking? (probably no for you)
    3. What do I want to use the PC for? (probably gaming for you)
    First stop after that is usually Tom's Hardware latest Best PC Builds. Here's Septembers: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-pc-builds,4390.html#p1

I'd suggest using PCPartPicker for planning out your builds. Its super helpful. I put together your latest picks here:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
    Total: $579.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Presuming this is for gaming, what games do you play more? If its the RTS/TBS/simulation/open world (think minecraft-like), then go for a better CPU (i5 or i7). If its more the FPS/RPG/MOBA type, then spend more on your GPU. If in doubt, getting a better GPU is more useful in gaming over a better CPU.

If you want to see how different CPUs/GPUs compare, here is a nice site
    CPU (single-threaded chart is most useful for gaming): https://www.cpubenchmark.net/
    GPU: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

flasche, BlackRedDead and Xyaminou like this.
  8. flasche

what scardy said - i wasnt sure if amazon is expensive in other countries aswell ... seems like.

9. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

It is, but its sometimes worth it if you have Prime. Free 2-day shipping can be a godsend :)

10. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

You're right, I am looking for under $1k total (but in Canadian dollars). I've tried finding all these items on Canadian sites, and also I trust Amazon not to fuck anything, and the 2 day shipping is a godsend so that's also a thing.

I plan on doing more FPS and more Streaming GameCam vids (sue me), I appreciate the charts.

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

My 2 bits is if you intend to do streaming or any type of recording I'd go for a quad core of some sort. I3s are really nice but on games that actually use cores, like bf4 or star citizen or whatever, it might chug a bit and I really don't think any recordings will look right.

Oh, I don't think the k version is super needed. I mean sure it's like around 20 more then the unlocked, but you have to put in another 20 for a cooler because you can't, or at least really shouldn't, overclock on the stock cooler and overclocking on smaller mobos can also be a bad idea. Things like crappy power regulators or small or tiny heatsinks on it can end badly. Oh wait, you can only overclock the baseclock on these mobos, you need a z170 to adjust the multiplier which costs at least 100$, 40 more then the mobo you have in your build. That's at least 80$ altogether for k version of i5. This advice isn't just for you, it's for people saying to grab a k version which can cost quite a bit more then expected.

This isn't exactly the best comparison for a few reasons but right now i use a laptop that's basically a 2.5ghz i3(sandybridge) with a 950. This runs nearly anything at medium settings very well and other slightly less demanding games well at higher settings. I give it a mention because it's like a much lighter weight version of that build you first linked, if it helps you decide at all.

More vram is a thing incoming but I dunno if it's really gonna be all that bad if you just have 2gb. That 470 is certainly much better then the 950 or 960, so yeah if you can get it go for it. Actually looking at canada prices the 1060(3gb)is nearly the same price as the 470... choice is up to you really, look at benchs.

All that said 240gigs just aint enough storage, grab a cheapo tb harddrive to go along with shiny ssd.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  12. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Ah ok, if you mean streaming as in something like Twitch, you might want a decent CPU. One of the latest i5s should be enough. OBS has a nice site that helps figuring out your streaming settings based on your specs/resolution/etc: https://obsproject.com/estimator

Otherwise, I would get the best GPU you can afford. I like the i5-6500 - GTX 1060 combo in the Tom's Hardware $750 pick. But if I had to choose for FPS gaming, I'd go for the GTX 1060 and get a cheaper CPU (it will hurt your stream quality a bit, but that's worth it for better framerate).

13. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Yes, and obviously his 500w psu will be able to run that card with an advised 600w stamped on it and still have 20+% left to spare.

Heck he could even upgrade by buying an extra gpu of the type he has now and installing it in sli mode (im not a fan, but its possible). It would be a bit more demanding on power, more like 4 to 500 w just for the both cards and like 750 for the entire rig but he should be able to run it on that 500w psu with ample wattage spare.

jokes aside you are catastrophically underestimating the importance on performance and economy per performance of a really good psu, and the advantage that those things just dont tend to fail or need replacement as often as other components... i still use an 8 year old psu that has a rating of 750w for a gaming pc, used it in 3 rigs and thats not an exception.

14. flasche

you are tiresome.

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I know i can be really annoying and pedantic when i know im absolutely right and more knowledgeable about a topic, il drop it... sorry.

It is not my intent to just piss off everyone.

16. flasche

no you want to be absolutely right in a way where im very closely to believe its pathological.
    it started out with you saying get a 1000W because fuck knows why, now we already are at 600W just so you can be right.

dont bother to reply - or do if you must, be insultive, i assume it now urges you to be - i dont care and i dont give a shit anymore either.

17. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

>let me just analyse your behavior, sprinkle in some personal opinions and assumptions, some false claims about things i said etc

>dont respond lol

are you trolling me because its working. I apologized about my pedantic behavior what more do you want.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  18. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I've decided to go with 6500 because it's been advised by outside this thread too, as of now the build is as follows ( I removed the case as I decided to reuse my old one), after taxes and fees its $960 canabux

Screenshot 2016-10-07 09.04.52.png

I could get the 1060 but it is marginally more expensive than the rx 470 and like others said, it's the easiest thing to upgrade so worst comes to worst I'll upgrade it in a couple years time

Again on the money, I could of course get "better parts" but at some point I'm gonna go over 1k and into higher numbers, which I don't think is necessary. I cannot find 470 same price as 1060 so I have no idea which treasure site you've discovered but if you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

I'll grab 1tb from my local place but yeah 240gb is a little low.

19. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That place scardybob linked, http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ , can be changed to other countries so you can find prices in your currency, just change the flag in the upper right corner. The one I linked is already set to canada though. You can change it to just show prices from certain merchants too, but I think you have to make an account(it's like 10 seconds to do.).

20. ScardyBob

ScardyBob Member

Fair enough. Though I did see this ZOTAC GTX 1060 for CAD261+14 shipping: https://www.amazon.ca/ZOTAC-GeForce...UTF8&qid=1475854736&sr=8-15&keywords=GTX+1060