PC Build - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BitterJesus, Oct 6, 2016.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

2. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

get the i5 k version and do a simple conservative overclock next year to get top of the line preform again for only like 20 bux extra.
    get better and cheaper ram (4*4 or something at higher clock speed so you use your entire bus, get a non brand but with good benchmark scores)
    get 2 or 3 harddrives that are cheaper and put up a raid stripe array (the mobo supports hardware raid) or get an ssd.
    or heck, get 2 ssds and make a raid stripe with that you will thank me later.
    get rid of the dvd reader
    spend at least 50 canadabux more on the fucking psu, get a proper brand one or at least one rated at 1000w and with surge protection on all outs and then never ever buy another one in your gaming life...

no opinion on the gpu one way or another,its a bit underwhelming for the rest... a bit budget but i get buying budget gpus to buy a better one next year when the spare cash has restocked since its the easiest to just swap out and upgrade.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what a waste, on average he probably doesnt even use half of the 500W, its questionable wheter its going to use that much even under full load ...
    ... idk how good evga really is, but at least its no no-name psu. i think, unless extremely unlucky its going to be more than sufficient.

id also get the i5-6600k (+~50€) with a non-stock cooler (they cost like 20-30€). mine runs at 4ghz and its not getting warm even in games - so there is still headroom.
    as for the gfx card, get one with 4gb vram. textures are getting bigger and bigger, you want them to fit.
    even if i dislike ati, what about the r9 3xx series? (fe. r9 380 with 4gb costs ~50€ more)

you are probably still fine with a 500W psu, but idk how much amd cards drain.

also why buy a case? reuse your old one. mine houses the 3rd computer already and unless something breaks or the atx standard disappears, its gonna be home for many more to come.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    BlackRedDead likes this.
  4. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Those psu's are always over rated, and having a stable buffer for power drain spikes just does wonders for not having your hardware fail randomly... the investment is well worth the trouble you avoid and especially since psu's are good for like 10 years, 15 if you are lucky.

5. flasche

power drain spikes of >500W? who are you kidding? plus 10-20% ok, but more than double?
    on an average while gaming i dont expect his config to go over 400W (and thats probably a bit high already), but i didnt go over data sheets, so i might be completely mistaken ...

BlackRedDead likes this.
  6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Gpus these days, its no longer an exception

GTX TITAN demands 600w alone and its not one of the neediest ones

7. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

his gpu has an advised minimum load of 380w... that leaves basically nothing for the rest of the pc on 500w rigs, if he upgrades at some point hes fucked, add in some load spikes every so often and some extra for hardware health and you easily get within 1000w psus for safety.

Dont get me wrong, its overkill, but "dont worry about anything concerning power for this rig no matter how you upgrade later in life" for 50 bucks now

8. flasche

so you would suggest racing breaks for a fiat 500 just because lamborghinis exist?

also in case you missed it, he is buying a gtx650, nvidia lists it with 90W (in comparison to the titan which is listed with 250W)

BlackRedDead likes this.
  9. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

GTX 980 Ti more reasonable as high grade upgrade in 2 years? 600w...

You have to think this is with buying a second hand high tier card as upgrade in mind, and a good 1000w psu means you dont have to worry about that stuff for the next 2 pc builds in a row on that.

10. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Fitfam pls don't fight.

I can't find GTX 950 with 4gb, is the R470 a good equivalent or better?

Also, I haven't installed an OS in like 10 years, how am I gonna install W10 without DVD drive? Is it just Bootable from a USB drive or what

BlackRedDead likes this.
  11. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Screenshot 2016-10-06 15.48.56.png

Is this a better build btw? I realize it's cheaper but in terms of balance I'm asking

12. flasche

its better.

and yes installing win10 from usb is as easy as having a >= 4gb stick and downloading the tool from the microsoft webpage (well ofc you need to be able to follow onscreen instructions)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

also you might need to change uefi settings to be able to boot from stick. but no worries, assuming you own a smartphone, notebook or some other device you can access the internets while tinkering, its googled in an instant.

more like 160W for the gfx card. 80W for the cpu, 40 for mainboard, below 10 for ram, 30 for dvd drive, 10 hdd - sums up to 400W, plus 20% because we are concerned, =480W (ofc all under load, in idle its way below that). so yeah, 500-550W psu, maybe 600 just because labels and shit.

are you by any chance manufacturer for 1000W psus or where does your love come from? unless you plan to run a dual gfx card rig there is absolutely no need for that much (and you probably even get away with 750-800W), it is a complete waste of money.

i got my girlfriend a i3-6100 and i was really impressed by its performance, especially for its price its a very decent cpu. i still would go the unlocked i5 route (6600k), i think you will be happy with it for quite a few years more. i assume, given decent cooling, you can easily go as far as 4.5ghz on air.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

don't buy ATI, 600W is enough, get an i7 with 4 cores for 4 threads, it'll last longer. check the max frequency of your CPU's compatible RAM, if the RAM you're planning on buying is over the CPU's max make sure it is fully compatible with your motherboard and make sure you're using iXMP.

The only thing that you can upgrade and that makes a difference on a computer without having to change everything is the GFX card. So unless you want to have to re-buy everything in a couple of year make sure the motherboard, CPU and RAM are the best you can afford.

Arguably you can go for a cheap GFX card but I don't see the point, if you can get one that last 5 years instead of one every 2 years it usually ends up being cheaper.
    In my experience for NVIDIA a 950 will last 2 years, 960 will last 3 years and 970 4 to 5 years. Before someone claims bullshit I'm not talking about them breaking I'm talking about how long you can play new games with decent settings.

14. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

15. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

16. flasche

i7 have hyperthreading means its 4 cores/8 threads simultaneously (unless you go 6900, then its 8/16 or 10/20 for the 6950)
    i5 have no hyperthreading but 4 cores (=4/4), i3 has hyperthreading but is only dualcore (=2/4).

that is a really good point, i have not doublechecked this. you also need to make sure your mainboard supports it.

while i support your suggestion, i think 4-5 years for decent settings is a "bit" exaggerated.:P

but you are definitly right, often the higher price pays of in the long run when you need to upgrade less frequent.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  17. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

I've been out of the loop for a while, how do I check this exactly? Thanks

18. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yeah that's what I meant, 4 cores/8 threads. Technicalities. Anyhow nowadays i7 is needed if you ask me.

Well, my 570 was 4.5 years old when it died earlier this year (I don't know if you remember that) and I was playing games like Star Citizen or BF4 with medium+ graphics just fine.

Also I forgot to mention there is no point in getting a 980 or x80 in my opinion. The only reason would be if you use a higher resolution and 980 Ti if you use a higher resolution and G-Sync with a screen at 144Hz, but you're talking 1.4k€ for screen + GFX card alone.

And to Blizzerd, upgrading to a 980ti in 2 years makes no sense, it will probably still be very expensive and in 2 years we'll most likely be in the 12xx series, better and more affordable than old top of the lines.

19. flasche

yeah fucking prices for nvidia cards just dont drop (enough) ...

20. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Google is your best bet,
    Intel website will have the max frequency of the RAM,
    For the compatibility with the motherboard, check their website, if it's any decent they should have the full documentation .pdf with a list of compatible RAMs.

Basically I recommended reading the motherboard's user manual in its entirety before buying one.