Allow vehicles to move a little when overheated.

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

*This will most likely be implemented*

Basically, the idea is that all engines will be able to output 10%~20% power when overheated.
    Bio will remain at 100%.
    CV will remain at 0%.

Why?
    In case Plasma becomes a really good option, also to decrease capacitive armor's downside.

I doubt anyone would disagree that it is very boring when you are actually overheated.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Makes me wonder what empires would be like if a lot of weapons could give heat, and there was less armor on tanks so things couldn't tank everything but you still had the opportunity to move around fluidly. So it would be more about getting that first strike in to reduce any possible damage, kinda like a wonky game of dodgeball I guess. I mean it's not like you can shoot in overheat, so it could be fun in that empires becomes more about dodging in tanks just like infantry combat which fits more the arcade feel of empires in general.

Not that I'd advocate that really, but it does sound terribly fun to me for some reason.

Anyways yeah I guess, not shooting sucks but not even being able to move at all is even more annoying. I do think there's something where you really don't need much power to spin around in place like a top, but meh.

3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Fission gives 10% and it's enough for you to do some simple movement.

Also yeah, that gives you at least something to do when you are overheated.
    Now when you get overheated? You might as well alt+tab somewhere else and count to 15.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  4. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

This argument could have some merit back when it was possible to overheat yourself.

5. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Heat coming from the enemy is just the last straw.

So you think vehicles shouldn't move at all when overheated?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  6. Z100000M

Unless you want scouts to become factually useless.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Exactly the argument I expected.

It doesn't matter because scouts are rarely used for stunning ordinary vehicles.

Stunned vehicles still can't fire.

8. Avatarix

They can't fire, but they can retread behind friendly armor, or drive over scout. Doing that change you are nerfing them even more, not even mentioning the plasma which is still not researched path (who ever thanks his commander for researching it?).
    Also, I could pull up the same argument that riflemen are also rarely used for stickying tanks (I personally prefer to stun tanks than kill them with stickies, better against heavy tanks).

9. Z100000M

What a load of shit of an argument.
    For one i advise not playing against shit players. For two, stuns main use is to immobilise, not prevent from firing but to make the target a sitting duck to get shot at by your teammates.
    Also it is a random ass change to have cvs be still be completely stunned, it turns a simple mechanic into an arbitrary one.

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

When I've had a bad week, and especially on certain maps, I play scout and sticky stuns are my joy - plus they make me actually useful for the team.

Overheating sucks, I'll give ya that. But it only sucks when you are the direct cause of it. Honestly if we're going to tackle the heat "problem", I don't think this is the way to go about it.

There's always the possibility that plasma's overheating is inherently a bad mechanic that lends itself to being drastically over/underpowered.

As for capacitive, I believe it technically makes more sense for its downside to be a lower overheat threshold instead of heat from damage. Problem is, I'm not even sure that's readily doable and it has been so long since I used capacitive I don't even remember if heat from damage is how it works.

11. Lazybum

The heat capacity of tanks is from engines, no way to change it by armor. Capactive does get heat from damage, it's some percentage of the damage.

I wonder if it'd be fun if sticky stuns instead of overheat caused the ammo to explode in the tank, making it unable to fire at all and probably do damage based on the amount of ammunition in tank. Course there would be no way to deal with runaway comms or boomtanking comms.

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Should I remind you guys that 10~20% output is still ridiculously slow? Not like you can actually retreat with that.

It's just you wouldn't freeze "completely" like a retard for 10 seconds.

Stun's main use? It's how we define it.

How about let's say bio ML's main use is to kill infantry with one-shot because "it was like that for a long period of time" ?
    Okay, let's revert that.

"What it's like for 10 years" =/= "It's perfect", I am surprised you haven't realized this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
  13. Z100000M

Here let me throw you another classic, an ad hominem : You suck at this whole argument thing.
    Well this is some bit of wonky logic of all kinds of ammo just exploding like that. Sure firepower kill is an actual thing irl though i dont know how would you make bullets explode.

14. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Here, let me throw you this fact that I really don't want to bring up(it hurts feeling) : You are not my boss, go ahead with ad hominem, see what happens(or what doesn't happen).

First, this change does not specifically target Sticky stun, but I am well awared that it's gonna affect sticky stun and I am satisfied with the effect.
    "complete stun for 10 seconds" is a ridiculous concept.

10~20% output is NOT inconsequential, but you can't really retreat with that, even enemy infantry(the scout who stunned you) can easily catch up. The difference is that you can at least move/turn a bit with 10~20% output, instead of being completely stunned.

I mentioned Bio ML to justify the point that "just because it was like that for a long period of time, doesn't mean it's good for the gameplay", simple.

15. Lazybum

Maybe just cannon shells and missiles? I dunno, a lot of things don't make sense but are still fun.

16. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Couldn't it just be made that sticky stuns like... shut OFF the engine? So Sticky stuns are still stuns and then overheating engines allow you to move?

Señor_Awesome likes this.
  17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Not your boss, more like a stakeholder you aren't *technically* beholden to

18. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

LOUUUUUD NOISES

19. Lazybum

I'm not sure what you mean here. Like the only way to turn on engine is to go to overheat? Some weapon loadouts don't even get that hot, and we can't put ourselves into overheat to begin with either. I would assume one could still shoot if sticky stunned with this idea at least, but I still feel a tad lost here. The whole notion sounds somewhat counter intuitive considering how everything else works.

20. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

I'm saying, don't make stickies "overheat" a vehicle anymore, have it basically shut off the engine as if no one was in the tank for X seconds so it couldn't move, then have it turn back on and then you can move. This keeps stickies having their primary purpose and allows Security to implement his tanks able to move while overheating.