Concept: BE Tank Destroyer

Discussion in 'Art' started by VulcanStorm, Oct 3, 2016.

1. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

So at long last... I come bearing pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As i mentioned in the dev progress update, i have been working on a concept BE Tank Destroyer model.
    I have taken a break from the NF one for a while, so am now getting a BE model up to the same point.

And this is how it looks so far... Thoughts and feedback appreciated! :)

Tama likes this.
  2. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Very nice! Looks big enough to stand erect inside, which shouldn't really be necessary. It might look better with a lower profile, with the barrel protuding somewhat closer to the top of the tank (although not quite as close as the black line here indicates of course)

[​IMG]

3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Very nice, I love how it looks really close to the actual Elefant Tank destroyer. I, personally, would prefer it if it was "standing room" on the inside, as it makes up for the NF TD being bulky as well. Plus, it would give room for a lot of ammo. Perhaps TD's could have more ammo than normal?

Also, of course it needs more things attached to it, such as the spare track in the front, exhaust, and some way to look out of the tank.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I don't know I'm pretty tall when I'm erect... Oooh you mean standing up. My bad.

DocRabbit likes this.
  5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

My boner looks tall when it stands erect if you know what im saying baw chikka waw waw. #GetAllTheChicks #IMeanBoneNotDate #RealCatchIsMe

Edit: #DoesntJustLookTallItIs

6. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

MY autism is massively triggered by that one thread link being different though

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

First thing I thought was Elefant/Ferdinand as well.
    I like the detail you already put into the treads, but those screws on the rim of the wheels make no sense. They would have them in the middle to actually hold the wheel to the axle.

8. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

depends

9. VulcanStorm

The images I've seen of the elefant and was using for inspiration, actually had those screws on the wheels.

10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Those are there to hold the rubber surfaces in place. You don't run metal wheels on metal treads.

11. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

this, and unscrewing them all would make the metal outer rings pop off... the Germans learned a lot about their earlier tanks and "in the field" disassembly was a big thing for their bigger tanks since they had no way to bring em back to the factory for refurbishment so everything had to be either field-repairable or driven back to base 'as is'.

most if not nearly all late war tigers were lost due to being abandoned from battle attrition and no way to repair them or get them home anymore...

12. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Well, not to nitpick but the Elefant was also regarded as one of the most unreliable, albeit most successful, tanks of the war. Only like 92 were made because it was made off of a failed Tiger Chassis (Or maybe it was Panther? I forget) and then went on into the field and broke down more than almost any other tank... it was essentially the best mobile stationary bunker of the war averaging over 10:1 K/D per Elefant tank in the field. It broke down so much due to it being essentially unrepairable, many were ditched.

LordDz_2 likes this.
  13. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

To nitpick: It looks more like a marder III for me.

I like, keep at it.

14. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

It does kind of look like an enclosed marder, but it's suppose to be based off the elefant.

What is the degrees at which the turret can move?

15. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Its failings had more to do with the economy of scale and the difficulty to keep your mechanics trained to deal with it the right way when you only have like 100 tanks of them and engineers are in incredibly short supply...

16. Avatarix

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT ELEFANTS ANYWAY THIS ISNT ZOO
    also my ideas here, have a look
    KFOVOTa.png 549ls6I.png kN5Rg2X.png

17. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

It needs a hatch, tracks on front as spare,an antenna, and exhaust. I personally like the height.

Maybe headlights and some way for a driver to see out? As well as the tank commander?

18. VulcanStorm

MOAR PICTURES!

Sorry it's been a long time (but it's only a month and a half)...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of my reasoning for the new changes:

- The front end wasn't really armoured enough, especially compared to the NF one... So i added some track guards over the front. to really emphasise the super heavy front armour.
    - Added some exhaust pipes on the back, just below the vent.
    - Added some windows (panels?flaps?) to the side of the tower, since it was a bit bare, and other vehicles have these.
    - Added a hatch on top next to the ladder for people to shoot out of. It's the same one as on the NF TD, so is the correct size for a person (measured against other models' hatches). Hopefully that gives a sense of scale...

Thoughts?

Donald Trump likes this.
  19. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Viewports on the front would be a nice last addition, perhaps winches and some misc (like a jerry can, shovel, etc) so it's not so barren? Maybe a closed hatch so the driver could get in and out?

Also, just curious, how long do you think before this is good to go? Both need modeling/code right?

Edit: Will the cannons be a new unique cannon subset so noobs don't stick standard cannon on these? Could use the old Aircraft weaponry to fit in there to prevent that.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  20. Lightning

Lightning Member

this is beautiful.

The Exhaust pipes should be coming out of the front half of the hull and riding on a metal plate above the tracks,