A plan - Symmetrical vehicle combat -> Bringing back counters

Discussion in 'General' started by Tama, Jul 26, 2016.

1. BlackRedDead

BlackRedDead Member

good point A-z-K, haven't tought that way that it would open more&easyer weapon varity - i would like it more if we just balance weapons better to eachother ;-)
    but touch my 2 barreled tank and i kill you! xD

but yea, a 2 barreled NF heavy... maybe changing med barrel with that of the heavy and just add 2 med barrels on the heavy - would look absolutly strange but well, nf tanks are strange! - big fast moving objects (but theire big model needs to be balanced somehow and i think to do that in speed and mobility is a better idea - because it makes a big target less easyer to hit - than just attach 1 more armor plate -.-)
    another way would it be to add a heavy alternative, maybe at 2 research paths - resulting in a strategical decision in the end game if a fast direct fireline hvy is prefered or a slower but heavyer double barreled siege monster)

2. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

You directly stated my counter argument was sufficient, why is this even up for debate?

3. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

Can I make some input here....

With the new patch (2.10.0), there is a 2 slot bio cannon and a 2 slot plasma cannon. This actually makes a plasma+bio loadout work really well. (plasma cn+bio mg). Which is something I've never seen work seriously before in empires. It is better on medium tanks, than heavies.

This has actually opened a new strategy available to both teams. I'll leave it to you guys to find the best counter...

4. Avatarix

HEMG and maybe HECN since it's still good? Because bio deals little to no damage against armor.
    Also, now combo of regenerative and plasma weaponry feels nice

5. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

I didn't say that there is an issue with balance; I do not think that BE of NF is inherently any better than the other currently. And even if that were so, I've said many times that Empires doesn't need to be fair to be fun. It's not the issue.

The issue is that when you have counters in research, locking the teams into dual cannon vs dual missile heavies from the outset limits the available research strategies of the commander. In other words, if that were not tied to the team, we would see more variety in research strategies, and hence more varied gameplay.

It sounds like you don't agree that it is necessary to do this, but you also haven't pointed out any potential problems with it.

That seems to be the only part of your post that is actually on-topic, and I don't understand it at all. I don't think it's valid English. Could you try to express more simply why you disagree with synching equip slots?

6. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

This is basically the point you made that I agreed with; that if heavies were less prevalent, the problem would be less pronounced. I agree, but shouldn't we do both?

I still prefer allowing this choice for both teams, even when heavies are endgame stuff. Plus, I'm not so sure about the two underlying assumptions that if research cost is reintroduced, therefore heavies will become endgame, and therefore they will not impact the research decisions significantly.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

He's saying it's a good thing that nf is focused on missiles and be is focused on cannons.

From my perspective it only seems like it suffers because we say it's only dual ml or cannon. Nothing stops people from just putting one of each on a heavy and just use the extra weight for more armor. After all while there is the option of another weapon or more armor plates there's only 80 extra weight going from med to heavy, which is 4 plates of armor or 1 weapon. It's not a lot of room to work with honestly, and because people actually shove all the weapons they can on a heavy that's the reason meds can take them on(if your decent enough), they have nearly the same armor.

Personally I don't care if tanks have same loadouts. I like the faction specific stuff for a variety of reasons, but empires isn't setup very well to make the most of it, in regards to how the research tree works.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Okay I'm just gonna repeat what I say every time someone brings up counters.

You want to add counters in Empires? That's fine, but then you're going to have to add a way to scout the enemy and figure out what path he's taking. Because counters without some way of spying/scouting your enemy is basically rolling a dice and hope you get it right.
    You're probably going to argue, oh yeah but once the enemy starts getting tanks out you'll be able to figure out what they have. Yeah, and by that time it will be too late. Either you will lose all your tanks trying to keep map control, or you will lose all your map control.

Tama likes this.
  9. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Watch out Tama, you just made it on BRD's shit list because you insulted him. He will now disregard you and everything you say because he is a 4 year old child who can't take anyone saying anything negative about him.

Also, you agreed that having a variant of missle for every cannon and cannon for every missle would fix this problem. Along with making the Mediums the MBT instead of Heavies, and balancing the game around Mediums so Heavies can be intentionally OP but very expensive and time consuming.

10. Avatarix

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  11. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

This is a horrible idea and others have been threatening this for a long time, so you're just parroting Spartacus's plan. I can tell you the current vets will all find another game to play if you do this. Tanks used to be alot more fun, that has been removed. They are also now harder for new players to learn. Make that slow moving monolith and how will you keep noobs from pushing them over and over again?

Speeding up tanks is more fun. The desire is to make the game fun, not a slow moving tank and mostly infantry game. Making the game symmetric is the easy way out of making a balanced game. The engines are all now about the same speed with minimal differences and that sucks. The armor is all equally shitty. The only real differences are the weapons and the proposal is to make them the same. That will increase the boredom factor.

There needs to be differences for each side, and making both sides the same removes the preferences players have for NF vs BE. I play both and think where we are right now is pretty balanced. It's boring as fuck to be in a tank, but mostly due to the slow tanks and weak armor. Going to the front line to fire one load and return to sit on a repair pad is boring as fuck. Rushing through an enemy line is almost non-existant now. Buildings and vehicles are easy to kill. Oddly the medium tank is the funnest vehicle to drive and on a non-chokepoint map can destroy a heavy. That is due to it's higher speed and maneuverability. NF vehicles are really bad since their turn rate is so slow. Most NF players prefer NF lights since they are fast and maneuverable. NF can carry more weapons than BE, and on maps where they can be protected by a wall NF will dominate. So they can usually own maps like Booty Bay. Brenodi does have some options though to combat this, and finding all the options and tactics makes this game interesting. Make everything the same and you increase the boredom factor immensely.

Spartacus proved that players love new weapons. Adding new and different weapons is something that people will like as long as you balance them. New maps are also loved and we play Nuclear, and Glacier a lot! Why is the focus to rebreak the game only to deal with more months of waiting for it to be fixed. We don't enjoy an easy win, but a long pew-pew for 2 hours is boring as fuck too.

12. Avatarix

Did you ever read my post or are you assuming I agree with all the points they did? No, I just reminded that the something similiar was being discussed in the past.
    And I don't even know the Spartacus's plan so yeah, please tell me what am I parroting now.

So, the same argument with 'speed tanks are more fun, more speed = more fun' is pretty subjective for me, since with slower and powerful tanks this would give more chances for combined arms. But yeah, if you can prove that the majority of players want even faster tanks, do it somehow because this thread and the other about slowing tanks proves otherwise (or just people who have different opinion don't want to confront.
    Also, you have put up a nice example of fun things: new things. But sadly, there aren't many people working on the game so this process is pretty slow for now.

13. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think we had slower tanks for a bit when spartacus was doing scripts. I don't remember it being well received.