Official "Your HUD sucks and you should feel bad" Thread

Discussion in 'Art' started by Devourawr, Jun 18, 2016.

1. NekoBaron

NekoBaron Member

So you could still use the old keys but quick tab between then.

frankly the squad menu might as well only go up to H for 8 squads
    Im not sure how yould want to redesign the vehicle customization to remove the scroll bars, unless you forced each slot to have 1 weapon max then you could select a slot and pick a weapon for it.

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I made a idea somewhere on what vf menu could look like. https://forums.empiresmod.com/index.php?threads/new-vehicle-selection-menu.19993/#post-522978
    Admittedly that design still has scroll bars, but I thought up a different method that can deal with that issue, maybe I'll get to it when I finish something else first, and possibly get my monitor back. Working off of tiny laptop screen is making me sad.

Anyways I have come to deliver FEEDBACK. I don't like the ammo counter, for 2 main reasons. First I don't like seeing the max ammo you can carry. I keep seeing it and thinking I have more ammo when I don't. I could just be stupid, but I really find it pointless, I can't think of any games that show ammo like that. Most games if they want to show your max ammo tend to either just show a number of clips, or a bar showing how much out of max you have. Something more fun for empires is if it was a bunch of clip icons that were filled showing how ammo out of max you had.

All that said I would really just show ammo in clip and total bullets you have, most games run it like this and frees up space for second suggestion. Which is instead of showing max ammo you can carry for held weapon it shows ammo for your other weapon. So you can keep tabs on your other weapon's ammo pool.

The other problem is I really miss the bullet counter. Even if that takes up too much space or whatever I would at least like a bar. Feels more handy to me honestly.

I'm gonna work on a quick mockup to show ideas better, I'm bad at explaining. Be back in like a day or something.

3. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

That's a good VF menu.

A bullet counter is possible but can't be done this patch. How about we remove the max ammo per clip, and I'll promise to add in a bullet counter again, at a later date.

4. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

The community is fine honestly right now, there's loads of good people contributing, setting up events and stuff. The only thing really missing is a good clan/scrim scene but seriously there are plenty of really good people here.

5. Caelo

Caelo Member

Yeah, I was just thinking in terms of size and it being focused around this forum more. I'd love to see that back again, but it's very difficult to get a forum to grow past being a really small community. But this is going off topic real bad ^^

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Yep you ain't wrong on any count, goong back on topic, I reckon the changes to the GUI are all entirely positive as is the general idea for more. That Devo sure is a sexy beast

7. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I've already asked about putting a link in the main menu options to the forums, which shooooould be next patch.

Because unless somebody has told you personally, nobody fucking knows this place exists.

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

I know!

9. Lazybum

[​IMG]

There we go, I didn't realize til I started working at it just how little room there is to work in. Shows held ammo for secondary and primary, but no room for grenades D:. Might be if it's extended to the edge of the screen like the health bar is, I dunno. Bullet counter is a tad clipped off, it's actually missing 2 bullets. Replace it with a bar if you don't like the look of old bullets or people really complain about hmg not showing all bullets.(It feels pretty bad when only those 2 weapons can prevent a fun thing).

I think if you didn't have ammo bar at all you could potentially show held ammo and ammo in clip for each weapon by kinda stacking them, maybe I'll give that a go later. One big issue is gren ammo, they have 2 primary ammo pools... With how I assume the hud to work I don't think you can simply just move the elements around just for gren, so I can't really think of a good way to deal with it. Maybe it just doesn't show mortar ammo or something? That's less then optimal though, huds are hard.:(

Today I also learned the kill icons are in a font file, that sure makes things easy.

BlackRedDead likes this.
  10. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Gets harder than what you've done because you need to be able to have all of those number accommodate 3 digits. So say 100 ammo now, 240 backup and maybe you can get away with 2 digits for pistols.

11. Lazybum

Oh but I did. There's space for another digit next to that 40 and there's 3 digits already for the primaries ammo pool. Though now that you mentioned it grens if they get ammo upgrade can have more then 100 bullets for pistol. Why do grens have to complicate everything.

12. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

Just quickly throwing this out there. What about adding a unique interface for spectators?

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

There actually is a valve one, but I assume you mean one which shows current res for both teams, whats being researched, etc.

Spectator is used enough. If it were up to me the "unique interface" would just be various incredibly uncomfortable images slowly rolled across the screen. If we can ever manage to get 2 servers going simultaneously at all times, I'll think about adding some cool ways to spec, which would help a lot with casting pugs and scrims.

14. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

I'm not really digging the translucency. On the currently released version, the BE tickets are hard to read against the sky of emp_isle.

15. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Yeah, the solution is to stop playing that shit map.
    Hahaha but seriously, I'm going to make it even darkerer and more legible in the mini patch in about a week. I agree with everyone on that. I was also spectating that isle game last night and think the health and ammo bars are too transparent for bright maps as well. Everything's going to get more visible.

16. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Already done - everything is darker and 5.2x more visible. Hooray!

I also managed to find the vf build buttons (they're separated from the others and hidden away for some reason), so they're up to date too. And I changed those shitty black bars behind all the text into shitty blue scanlines.
    [​IMG]

Currently working on new weapon icons for Security to put into the game. If anybody has any weapons/engine/armour icons they think look shit, give me a yell and I'll see if we can make it nicer.

17. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

New weapons! I'll update this post as I make them, or about one icon for every 20 minutes of work.

How cute is this baby rail cannon eh
    [​IMG]

A UML which isn't just a generic big missile - now it's easy to spot because it matches the particle effect.
    [​IMG]

A big fat UML
    [​IMG]

Bio cannon
    [​IMG]

The Infantry Rapist
    [​IMG]

Quick break for a Sticky Stun
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Looks a little cartoony but I like it anyway.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The idea is that lens flares are annoying, just like being hit with a conc.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    BlackRedDead and Terminator-X29B like this.
  18. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

There is a lot about this hud update that I'm not a fan of (mostly me being resistant to change and the loss of the ammo bar), but I really like the look of that vf menu and the UMLs.

19. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

20. Caelo

Caelo Member

I play as an engineer a lot and one thing I think can be improved with the new hud is the ammo counter for the calculator. Currently you need to remember the max is 100. It is like this for all weapons, but for the Engineer I feel knowing what the max is, is pretty important. You don't ever want the calculator to hit the max (unless you are being lazy ^^)