NF medium concept

Discussion in 'Art' started by Varbles, Jul 31, 2016.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Please leave it us to decide how much detail we put in those models. I realize that some people do not own powerful rigs and are afraid of performance, however most performance impact comes from texture resolution, which is already handled by the game's settings. Model detail does not affect the tanks AT ALL as of now. (At least as I know of, since I never really saw any LOD models we would have for them.)

So please don't try to limit what the highest quality could be, because you are afraid the low end won't keep up. That almost the same situation as it is with consoles and PCs...

2. Ranger

Ranger Member

I can only recall the Bradley with such a weapon and it's external.

With that, it would look like a Tiger/Bradley mix lel.

High poly models are art. Don't limit yourselves :grinimp::grinnf:

3. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

tl;dr

'dont tell us artists what do do, art cannot be grasped with mere mortal terminology'

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

it looks great. with the size comparison it looks more like a heavy though

5. Lightning

Lightning Member

models can be scaled by programming in game to fix the size issue

6. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Funnily enough, I based that scale roughly on the actual proportions between the mediums. The most significant difference will be the height of the tops of the hull, because turret included mine will be only a little bit shorter overall than the current med

7. Caelo

Caelo Member

NF tanks need to be big and bulky if you ask me. It looks great :) Ofc. NF also needs something to offset that imbalance in vehicles.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

the width too? i guess the perspective is playing a trick on me

either way its nice enough that it could probably work for both

9. Varbles

[​IMG]
    There's a bit more width to mine but I may cut it down a bit. I want to get a rough mockup in-engine soon to see if anything like this stands out.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. complete_

complete_ lamer

or if it randomly floats like the other nf med :p

11. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

More width isn't a bad thing, it helps with vehicle handling. Part of the reason nf heavy has ass handling is because it's so long compared to width. Personally feel current nf med is kinda ass in handling too so I always felt the extra width would help with current handling scripts. Things can be modified sure but it's a huge pain in the ass. I guess the real question is can it get past a 3 segment wall gap, the most common of gates constructed in empries.

In any case I thought this would be nice as a replacement for nf heavy with redskulls replacing the med, there feels like a transition of sorts between them (light>med is like a bigger version of light> heavy is like an updated and improved version of red skulls med kind of thing). Seeing it in comparison though I guess it does look a bit more like a med tank in size and profile.

That said it looks rather nice and I'd like it as any thing really, it doesn't have that junker look like the current tanks but I feel like it's profile fits something nf would come up with and use.

12. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

I believe the current iteration of war thunder has a more detailed model, taking into effect not just armour thickness but average build quality seen on the field and material types. For example some tanks had wooden seats, if you hit those they fragment into splinters and maim crews all around.

13. Varbles

I don't mind if it's used as the BE jeep, it's not really my authority to decide. I'm designing it with the NF medium in mind because it's a personal idea, not a commissioned project that's guaranteed going in game; ultimately it's more like fan art than development. If the developers want it fit for a different role I'm happy to change it, but I haven't gotten any concrete input from the devs or the community. I think I'm at the point with Blender where technical ability is somewhat established and now inspiration and design ideas are the biggest influence on what I can put out, if anyone wants to fill the role of concept artist it would help a lot. I'm trying to push it in a more NF direction but that is a very nebulous concept.

From a design perspective the NF light and NF heavy both have definitive styles whereas the medium is just "dead space", an inbred redux of the heavy which wastes it's potential as an interesting expansion of NF's arsenal. It's like if TF2's Soldier design was just a Heavy with a smaller gun.

From a game universe perspective, the LT is a compact and effective tank that's become very ubiquitous and iconic, pretty much the AK47 of tanks. The heavy is a land battleship slugger which is obviously antiquated but epitomizes the NF philosophy of sheer size never being obsolete, and it's also pretty much the last word when it comes to the Leman Russ WH40K look. The medium shouldn't just be a knockoff of one of these, but a third corner of the triangle. It's gotta look convincingly effective and not laughably awkward, because like all NF tanks it's an oldie but a goodie, potent but economic. The WH40K style is where NF gets its signature in my eyes, not really Redskull's Fallout aesthetic and definitely not photorealism.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

For NF I definitely agree with you on that one.

15. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I won't disagree either, rough and big is nf's style alright. That rounded old car look does have it's appeal though. I like it all, because it isn't super bland real life tanks.

Really I just hate nf heavy's proportions which make it nearly impossible to improve handling on it. The look is nice, but for practical purposes it makes me cry a bit.:(

16. Ranger

Ranger Member

I wouldn't mind having multiple models for NF mediums. they are scrap tanks of the Jekotian militia after all. It's not like the organized industrial Brenodian Empire. So more models OK, but the textures should be similar for sure.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The other way around would work, but different models for what is essentially the same thing might screw with the balance depending on how big the differences in the models are.

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if there are differences in balance people will take the one considered best by a majority.
    unless its randomized, than people will bitch on devs and see every right to buy tanks until they finally get that one design only to blow up shortly after anyway.

19. Caelo

Caelo Member

Too bad it cannot happen, because players are too selfish. Only way this could ever work if the commander was the only one able to build new vehicles or if there was a restriction that you can only buy a tank if the precious one was destroyed (and even then people will f it up)

20. Ranger

Ranger Member

I'm not sure which models we're talking about, but the ones I've seen do not look very different in size. The biggest difference perhaps would be driving, but hitboxes could be very similar. I was thinking spawning would be randomized. Apart of balance, is there anything else to discuss on this matter? I mean, we could have them both easily, right?

21. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Another problem with that would be that it is confusing to new players. Also: This thread should stay on topic about the model. If you want to file a suggestion about your idea, please do so in the appropriate forum.