The Empires OpenTTD Marathon. Finally. 6th August, late afternoon UK time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

You know it's like over 100 years in so most of the cities have grown substantially? But I think I'll probably lower the amount of towns anyway, but leave industry as it is.

So far the planned changes are:

Change terrain variance down one notch (it'll be flatter)
    Find a way to cut down on the amount of trees
    Remove the ships NewGRF because it makes tankers unusable nearly
    Lower amount of towns by 1 increment
    Look into turning disasters off. I'm happy with planes crashing but I'm not happy with going afk and coming back to find a UFO destroyed a chunk of my track.

I'm sure there were a couple more things but I honestly can't remember. I'm actually partially tempted to do a desert scenario but I think there's fewer industries in that. There's certainly fewer trains.

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I also logged in when it was like 10 years in and cities were already tens of thousands, that's just too big to start with, especially if you want the game to last as long as it does.

3. Trickster

I'm not being a dick but I find that hard to believe. Once you start the game the largest cities are usually around 4k. Getting them to 10k is no quick task. The idea that 10 years in they were 30k+ is just not possible. It simply cannot happen. Keep in mind that players grow the cities themselves. Without any help, the towns will never turn into cities.

Also worth mentioning, I'm not sure how that makes a difference to the length of the game. OpenTTD really lasts until people have had enough, and we don't play for a "winner", usually just to make the most impressive network. Everyone just plays their own game, but communally. Like to be honest, if the game starts in 1950, I'm usually done by the year 2000, if not the 90s. Some people stick it out a bit longer but generally speaking, once my network is complete and I've iterated it, expanded it, and done all I can, I'm generally pretty satisfied.

4. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Meh, you know, numbers... Anyhow my 2 other points remain valid.

5. Trickster

Yeah ok. So I'll drop the number of towns by one increment and raise industry. I'm seriously considering a desert scenario though if anyone has any thoughts on that.

EDIT:

So some potential ideas (note town, industry, distribution, terrain variation etc):

Desert
    [​IMG]

Temperate with improved tree algorithm (this is default, so what was in the test game):
    [​IMG]

Temperate with original tree algorithm (I fucking hate trees so I prefer this):
    [​IMG]

Settings are:
    Map size: 1024x1024 (same on test server)
    Land generator: TerraGenesis
    No. of towns: Low
    Terrain type: Flat
    Variety Distribution: Very High
    Sea Level: Low
    Tree Algorithm: First 2 shots are Improved, last is Original
    Maximum Map height: 15
    No. of Industries: Normal
    Smoothness: Very Smooth
    Rivers: Medium

People are welcome to dick about and see if they can come up with something better. It's worth saying I have no interest in playing a game where I'm constantly having to fuck about going through/around mountains and shit like that. It's a challenge but it's just not that fun. The point of this is to create a nice network. I don't want the map to be completely flat but I don't want to spend most of the game fighting the map, or once I have mad cash, just terraforming vast areas. That's not cool.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Desert would be a nice change up. More rivers might make it a little more interesting without making it hard to deal with unlike inclines or mountains or whatever. I haven't really played since the last time you did this though so I may be out of touch on if rivers are actually annoying to deal with, it's all good though.

7. Ranger

Ranger Member

8. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I like desert but I still feel like the number of industries is low compared to the public servers I've played on.
    You know you can hide trees, right?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  9. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

cutting down trees also effects local authority, as does planting.

10. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

That barely ever affects anything.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

it can turn towns back to liking you and its not even that expensive.

12. Trickster

Yeah spamming trees over a town is a quick way of getting them to like you so you can knock down more buildings. It's very realistic in that respect.

I'll take a better look at industry levels but I don't want to saturate it. Are we all up for Desert scenario then?

@Lazybum

Rivers are actually super easy to deal with, you just blow them up and it turns to land. There are still some height changes though, plus the sea level sort of forces some movement around.

13. Lightning

Lightning Member

Desert seems fine, ill get back into the game before saturday.

14. Lightning

Lightning Member

oh right my name, ill geuss ill be Grey Metals Logisitics Ltd.

15. Trickster

You don't have to state a name or pick a colour or anything until you get in. Only rule is that you aren't red. Because I am red.

16. Lightning

Lightning Member

well i will formally request that people allow me to be grey. if that's ok with everyone?

17. Deiform

Deiform Member

Colours are first come first served usually.

I liked the look of that middle picture than the other two. Deserts are a bitch to do good train loops.

18. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Same, I prefer temperate industries to desert ones.

19. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

I prefer temperate over desert. I like having more than 2 types of trains at once. I prefer original tree algorithim because fuck trees. I hate the local authority.

Oh and OpenRCT2 while being in alpha is actually very stable unless you use some of the more chaotic cheats.

20. Ranger

Ranger Member

I said I was going to participate in the game, but I went to my uncle's funeral today and I'm not in the mood. Sorry for ditching you.

21. Trickster

Might be delayed an our or 2. I was aiming for a 3pm UK time start but it looks like I've got to deal with a few issues first. I wanted to set aside an hour before the start to set the server up and have a last minute pre-game to check everything was working properly. I'll try and aim for 5pm.

22. Trickster

Server is up for testing. I want to see if people are happy with the map before we proceed.

23. Trickster

GAME WILL START 9 MINUTES FROM THIS POST.