The Empires OpenTTD Marathon. Finally. 6th August, late afternoon UK time

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trickster, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

It's time. Not putting specific time yet because I'm not 100% sure when I'll be able to start it. It's my intention to do a dry-run this weekend. I'll get a list together of all required NewGRFs. Jephir has lent me a virtual server to host the game on so I'll be using that. Also worth noting that this year, I'll be turning breakdowns off for the first time. This should allow better networks and such without clogging everything up.

You can download OpenTTD here: https://www.openttd.org/en/

Should you wish to use original graphics, sounds or music (I personally use original sound and music but use the updated graphics), you can find the original TTD files floating about on the internet (or send me a PM) and point to those during the OpenTTD installation. The music is pretty fucking great so I'd thoroughly recommend doing that.

For the duration of the game, you can sit on the EPIC discord at discord.me/epic

I'll post details up about this weekend's dry run to check everything is functioning properly.

Standard rules apply as with every previous OpenTTD game:

1) Don't grief. If you have to ask whether it's griefing, it probably is.

2) Password your company. I can't stress enough how important this is.

3) I am the colour red. Anyone who thinks they're smart and takes it, I'll just dissolve your company. I will not fuck about when it comes to my company colour.

I'll bump the thread every time I update this post with further details.

PS: Please post or let me know over steam if you're interested as I need to be able to judge what map size we'll want based on playercount.

EDIT 1:

It's highly recommended that everyone downloads the zBase graphics set and applies it, as 32bpp zoom will be enabled and using that with stock graphics (original or opengfx) looks like total shit. When you start OpenTTD, simply click "check online content", type zbase into the search and download it. It's around 270mB or something. Then click Game options and change your active graphics set to zBase.

We'll also be using the Big Ships edit, but the server will prompt you for that when you try to join anyway (unlike zBase). It's like 1kB and it just increases the storage capacity of the stock ships substantially, so that they actually become useful. As a result however, they become far more expensive in some cases.

I don't currently plan on using any other custom stuff as I don't see the point in extra trains/planes/boats/cars, the stock ones are sufficient. Complex industry systems are fine but they're not appropriate for many of the less experienced OpenTTD players and can be really hard to get going, so I'm going to avoid those. It'll essentially be a near-vanilla experience.

Besides that, I'm still deciding on other settings, such as climate (temperate, desert or tundra), landscape flatness, density of trees and other shit. I want to make it easy to set up networks but I don't want a boring flat map with nothing of interest, so I'll look into it further. It's possible I may even look through some pre-made scenarios to see if any are half decent.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. Deiform

Deiform Member

I should be there with my prize winning airports.

3. Lightning

Lightning Member

im interested, i want to be Grey :D im not that good at the game but it would be fun playing with people who aren't colossal assholes like pub games

4. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Haven't played in a while so I may have rose colored glasses here, but I think it takes away some of the fun if there's no breakdowns. There's no point adding maintenance to your schedules and having cool switching yards for the depots. Also, which NewGRFs? Can't remember many but maybe FISH for ships, and road vehicles? Or are you going all the way with an industry overhaul set? Anyway count me in.

Edit: also make sure you pick good settings for max station size, so it's not exploitable but also allows long trains

5. Trickster

EDIT #1 added.

Not really. Breakdowns were automatically scheduled by the game, though you had some control over how often. But it just got ridiculous. By the time your trains were 50% of their projected life, they'd breakdown between every station. It just makes it impossible to have a nice flowing network with serious complexity because it can all be brought down by one train breaking down in the wrong place. You can't even build in redundancy to deal with that because the path-finding on trains still isn't at a level where it can deal with that. I don't remember switching yards or whatever that you're talking about, I don't think that's OpenTTD you're thinking of.

As for FISH, I looked at it but I'm fairly insistent on only using addons which are compatible with 32bpp graphics, and FISH isn't. To be honest as I said earlier, I don't really see the big deal in replacing trains and shit, though I would have liked the addon which allowed for Trams (I may still look into that). As I said in the edit, I'd be interested in an industry edit mod such as YETI (32bpp compatible), but I feel as though it's too complex for less experienced players. I'd prefer to just encourage some complex network building this time.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  6. Fooshi

Fooshi For fuck's sake Fooshi

Fuck breakdowns.

I'm in.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I downloaded it, have no fucking idea what I'm doing. Might have a bash if I can get my head around it

8. Trickster

Figured people who like OpenTTD are watching this thread. Looks like a modern 3D version of TTD out later this year.

flasche likes this.
  9. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!! OTTD time! :D

10. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

there is a predecessor, train-fever (released 2014, 25€, mixed reviews)

steam says varbles has the game!?
    what can we expect of that company?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  11. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

I haven't played it but picked it up because it looked a bit like OTTD. Reviews say it's kinda dumbed down and smaller scale, but scratches the same itch. Now if we want a game that's spiritually like OTTD and would be great for a community co-op/friendly competition weekend game, I think Factorio is where it's at.

12. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Did any of you know that there is an OpenRCT2 in development since 2014?
    https://openrct2.org/
    It even has multiplayer apparently, not tried any of it but it all looks kinda of still in alpha though.

13. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I'll definitely join you guys... If I don't forget.

14. Trickster

Dry run server is up, currently paused.

Search for: The Empires Dildo Emporium

Password is: dicks

15. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

Can't see it in the server list, did you remember to allow it in the server firewall?

16. Trickster

I hadn't set it to advertise. It's up now.

17. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

[​IMG]

Woops.

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Purple Power Inc. reporting for duty.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I just took a look at the map and I gotta say, too many and too big cities. Not enough industries.

20. Ranger

Ranger Member

Lel I've played that for some time, but I don't remember if I learned to play after spending a week or so on it. I'm probably going to fail.

I'm Green.