Windows 10 is here!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CRITAWAKETS, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Neoony

Neoony Member

if you want a free firewall with full control then I always recommend Comodo. Just gotta set it to verbose mode and few other settings like "create rules for safe applications" and so, so that it asks you everything.
    Then I can imagine you can block all of that with ease.. Although many find asking for everything annoying, I just love the control it offers.
    Definitely my favorite security suite for long years now.

It also has a defense+ which gives a detailed control over actions between applications, hooks and so.
    Also with antivirus and many other features.
    And also the paid version offers absolutely nothing I would want. (100% virus free guarantee or they pay you money, or remote expert assistance or such)

Not trying to advertise, but it really deserves it from my point of view.

Also, I guess you could also block it somehow over hosts file, just not sure if it would conflict with updates or so.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Who knows what they are sending in their HTTPS connections, but at some point you can either trust MS or you have to go Linux. For the same reason I don't see a point in a software firewall from another company. What I want from my Win 10 installs is that they are not worse than a patched Win 7, privacy and security wise. A little tweaking the settings achieves that.

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

ever other 50e isr can run openwrt, what more firewall you need to block win10?
    (and if im honest, i know myself im probably not going to bother - i rather complain and accept it, im shit)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  4. McGyver

I used a cheap TL-Link router with openwrt, but that thing always lost the WLAN connection. If you have any recommendations on something that is a) cheap, b) gets continued software support, feel free to post them, as I totally need something in front of that shitty, exploitable UPC-router I got.

5. flasche

i have a linksys from when it still was cisco. doesnt even know about ac, but no complaints so far.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  6. McGyver

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I guess this goes here:

Theres been a bug with some realtek drivers preventing Windows 10 upgrades. Eitehr causing them to fail or not pass the readiness check.
    Disable the realtek NIC before checking/beginning the upgrade and smile as your windows becomes newer. Obviously renable after and update drivers

8. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

that stinks plus bing sucks compared to google.

9. flasche

10. McGyver

I guess that just refers to the speech input? Because the rest works as expected on my Win 10 test laptop. (all other PCs have Cortana disabled)

11. flasche

i honestly dont know, it only says that in the privacy options, i disabled everything else (i hope)
    tomorrow ill wipe this one. i dont want to :(

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Really just better off to use GNU/Linux instead of posix stapled onto win32

13. McGyver

Now that they have maxed out their Win 10 users with the free updates, Microsoft removes some options to disable annoying stuff on Windows 10 Pro. That is so dirty and so typically MS.
    http://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/microsoft-removes-policies-windows-10-pro/

I agree, but I never trust anyone who says GNU/Linux. ;)