Concept: NF Tank Destroyer

Discussion in 'Art' started by VulcanStorm, May 29, 2016.

1. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

fat shaming dick... people like you just dont understand what its like to be a tank destroyer with todays societal expectations forced upon you every minute of every day... first it was the requirement to participate in blitzkrieg... now this... sometimes i just cannot believe how ignorant and hateful people are.

2. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

This is a good thing, ya? That's the look I was going for. It's gotta strike fear into heavy tank drivers.:cool:
    I want it to have super high front armour... like 8 plates, so I hope I got that feel across...
    See the stats thread before we start a debate over armours and such here. :)

3. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

It looks really good and I can't wait to blast some heavy tanks apart. When skinned, are you going to go for the same NF look as the other tanks or is this going to be a "new" design by NF so it looks a little bit more sleek?

4. VulcanStorm

I'm adding some vents to the back, since its a bit bare... And I'm trying to emphasise a weak rear armour.

And I'm trying to make it fit in with the current NF tank style. But it is going to be different, so yes, one of their newer designs...

5. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Well you've done an outstanding job at emphasizing the front armor and vents would make it appear weak in the back which is also a good idea. Anyways, Kudos to your work on this and it truly is magnificent. Can't wait till I can blow other tanks apart with this and I hope if a tank dies to a TD maybe there can be a big explosion for that tank.

Can't wait for your BE model, hoping it is more badass than this one (because BE is better).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  6. VulcanStorm

EVEN MOAR PICTURES!
    I think this may be the final model... I don't know if it needs any more...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Now for some close-ups!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the Grand Finale!
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

7. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

8. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Orgasmic. Now the BE one better be 2X better looking because BE always has better looking shit... but I have to say this out does everything BE has now.

9. VulcanStorm

xD It's kinda low poly too... 5.4k verts, 5.2k tris.

Now I just gotta texture it, or build a BE one... idk which to do first

10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Well, if I can recommend something I'd say texture it. Simply to get it into the game for testing so that way when you make the BE one the weapon stats can carry over and for the debate on armor/speed/weapon damage can be settled while you make the BE one.

11. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

I agree with trump, texture now and make another later.

Also texture it in 2048x2048, might as well have it look pretty so it can last longer.

12. VulcanStorm

So @Varbles wanted me to post an AO image. So here it is. Hopefully it highlights more of the detail...
    [​IMG]

13. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Wait perhaps one last feature? Muzzle Break at the end? Or will that go on the BE tank destroyer? I think this was discussed earlier but I can't remember...

14. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Niice.

I think you should remove the ladder, for two reasons. First, when I went to the national war museum, I noted that none of the tanks had anything as easy (and bulky) as a ladder. Instead, add conveniently placed handles for climbing up where it is already easiest to do so. The second reason is minor, but I'd prefer it if we didn't include ladders anywhere in the game that you cannot actually climb up (looking at you, NF CV).

I should think the easiest way to get to the top hatch is to climb up the front, and hoist yourself by a handle just above the turret. If the handle is symmetrical, you can use just one handle that will work coming from both sides, but you may need to place it closer to the edge in order to reach. The blue mark shows where your left foot goes when hoisting yourself up.

[​IMG]

Also, every single tank I checked out had a lockable hatch at the back to get in; with just a topturret entrance, there's no way you're going to move in a new radar or get your tools in to fix the engine. Placing a handle here will solve that, but you may want to make the hatch look sturdier than an air vent - perhaps just asymmtrical, with an airvent on one side and hatch on the other?

[​IMG]

There's two things I didn't spot, but perhaps you do have them; headlights, in / behind the grates? Currently headlights aren't working properly but they should be present on all vehicles so we can use them when fixed. The other thing is steel cables and places to hitch them up; these are for pulling vehicles out when they get stuck. The grates would work, but there's nothing sturdy on the back, so if you got the front stuck in a ditch, there'd be no fixing it.

I really like that lens / scope thing coming out of the top of the turret; looks like a great way to aim spot on.

Edit: Oh, and of course a tiny little platform below the backhatch, to step up from, at the lowest point on the tank that's reasonable. Every tank in the museum had that, because the hatch is a metre off the ground or so. Not sure what your scale is but it's probably warranted.

15. Caelo

Caelo Member

How does this compare to the current models?

16. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Tama, your saying headlights will hvae a use actually? And will there actually be a use for towing other tanks if they get stuck rather than just ramming them?

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

about the same, depends on the model ofc. be heavy tank is in that range, a tad more verts, a tad less tris. empires tanks have a lot of useless (inside) geometry (fe the bottom of the turret, you wont ever see that ingame - but at least its two seperate models.) and split edges/vertices where there should be none (or could be if they had good normals)

also nf light and nf heavy have been edited afterwards. nf light lacks some supposedly symmetical features (like the mount of the rear bumper on one side fe) while nf heavy has remains of when the side turrets have been removed. i wont show pictures or youll continously see it ingame ^^

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I know exactly what you mean, flasche.

@Tama the model already has a hatch on the right side. Granted it might be a bit small for supplies, but it's there. Other than that your ideas are good points and would add more detail to the model.

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

Those side turrets were badd assssssss

I never seen them work though, but apparently it was a side seat where could hop in and fire a small cannon from but it tended to crash people and rarely be used effectively.

20. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

the reason hatches were placed on the back was because if a tank was hit, its usually from the front or sides, this allows crews still an option relatively undamaged to retreat from. a hit in the back could warp the hatch frame enough that it becomes impossible to open. Also this allowed the hatch itself to be of a thinner slab of metal, since the back did not need high armoring usually and the fact that a hatch is there also would weaken the strength of that side

that being said, do you, the side is fine. Although the back does look a tad dull.