Translating Empires

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Devourawr, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Hi all! This is a thread where you can volunteer to translate our God-given, glorious Queen's English into your backwater shithole "language".
    But seriously, it would be very nice to volunteer and would be a great help. It would also help our non-English speaking friends stick around and keep playing, but far more importantly helping them STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE REFINERY ROCKS.

Anyway, the ideal languages to translate are the ones where the natives don't speak English very commonly - probably Russian, French, and maaaaybe Chinese but honestly those players are really rare. Maybe German too, even though they generally speak English, there are generally more Germans than other Euros so it might be worth the time.

I'll cover Russian, but maybe @Xyaminou can do French? @Sgt.Security or @Paradox, want to do Chinese? @flasche or @mcguyver can do german if they keep their swamp dialects out of it <3

Any other players who feel like they can do their language should post here, it'd be great. Thanks!

RUSSIAN: my end
    POLAND: D.D.D
    FRENCH: nobody yet ;-;
    CHINESE: T-T
    CZECH/SLOVAK: Neoony
    GREEK: Ranger
    GERMAN: flasche

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

D.D.D is on the Poland side.

[​IMG]

3. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

youd be surprised, even tho everyone learns it in school as its compulsory (you dont learn what you dont use, but with the intertubes its getting better)
    yet the people you talk online with, usually are people with above average education, not the unwashed masses

but anyway, could you post files or at least tell which text files need translating?
    im capable of standard german, no worries - or at least my gf can proofread, she studied this shit ^^

4. Ranger

Ranger Member

I can translate in Greek, Italian, Latin and Byzantine Greek. I'm sure many imperials still play Empires.

But how are we supposed to do that? Shouldn't devs give all the files that need to be translated or does each translator have to find them on their own?

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I'm terrible at translating and terrible at spelling in french.
    But more importantly I don't think it's worth the time, there are too few players to have any kind of language based community.
    I have already voiced my opposition to translating Empires (a long time ago). I'm not going to get involved again, sorry but I'm not the guy for the job.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

I think the only Greek player that I've seen apart from myself is Lukas, who never replied to my grek messages but hl2 stats on viper showed he was from Greece. But I would translate it anyway if you want.

Would the voice commands need to be translated as well?

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

It seems polandball artists dont know poland looked a bit different before ww2.
    Also since when does paradox know chinese? You know that having an awful attitude towards other people doesnt automatically give you the ability to speak mandarin?

8. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

9. Neoony

Neoony Member

I could do Slovak and Czech. Even though I speak Polish too, I wouldnt dare to go for the written translating XD

But, it might take some time before I get some free time.

Dont think I ever saw any Slovak people playing, but there are definitely Czech people coming from time to time.

Iam guessing you just need to edit those files:
    D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\resource\empires_english.txt
    D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Empires\empires\resource\closecaption_english.txt
    Not sure if there are more files

EDIT: forget it, I missed Tamas post. My bad.

10. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

whos gonna do dutch? or belganian?

11. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Oh man, you're a czechoslovak? Crazy. Always assumed you were scandinavian or something. We need to implement enforced flags on this forum, everything would be really interesting.

Paradox offered I think. You can, Tama and Thaxa most definitely can but it's probably best if they use their time on code and shit. So if you want to throw your hat into the ring then go nuts.

12. Ranger

Ranger Member

I've had the impression we had many Scandinavians for some reason, but it turns out there is only one... That I'm aware of at least.

Who's gonna translate in American?

13. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

We already have custom content for that - All NF models become black and all BE ones get a little LAPD badge

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

"I dream of all 50 people who play empires playing the game in different languages."

-Devourawr, probably

15. Z100000M

czechoslovakia hasnt been a thing for like 20 years or something. Both languages are extremely similiar however.

Also, holy shit, you speak polish neony? Mega props for being a giant sadomasocist to try to learn it.

16. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

"I dream of Empires having an average of 100 players at any one time"
    -devo

"I love sucking dick"
    -you

complete_ likes this.
  17. complete_

complete_ lamer

je ne parle pas français

18. Neoony

Neoony Member

Well you guys are everywhere xD
    And its not so hard for a Slovak guy to learn it, as its similar as well. So its not like I had to really learn it, it just went into me.
    So you almost have no choice xD especially when Slovaks generally understand Polish launguage, but Polish just dont get Slovak launguage xD

Writing Polish is another thing XD

And yeah, Czechoslovakia separated in 1993 and its separate languages, but very similar. Both mostly understand each other.
    You just keep gotta tell everyone since 1993, because everyone foreign thinks its still Czechoslovakia. xD

Funny thing that Slovakia is doing Presidency to the EU sometime now. I dont want to know how that will end up >:):grinimp:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  19. Z100000M

Oh its one of those one way inteligibility situations?
    I mean poles can kind of understand cz/sv, written anyway, but it takes some though to do so. The biggest problem is the fact that you guys use pronounciation which in here is used when trying to be cute and sweet so its nearly impossible to try and say something wihtout bursting into laughter because of how funny it sounds.
    Everything remotely resembling knedliki will get banned.
    Like where though? I mean i guess epic ts for one up untill recently.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  20. Ranger

Ranger Member

For starters, the polish terrorize most F2P games.