Summer PUGS, Week 1 June 25th

Discussion in 'Events' started by Lazybum, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well it's summer, so it's a great time to have some great empire events. This time we will do a series of pugs with captain draft and pre-assembled squads.
    Where and when, Click me for your local time.
    On June 25th, 1900 BST / 2000 CEST / 1400 EDT / 1100 PDT. Click me for your local time.

On Nubs event server, will update this with more info when we get closer.

Join the empires vet group for event notices and to be kept up to date on what's happening. http://steamcommunity.com/groups/empvetpug
    How this works
    To start off with, this will be a series of pugs where either captains or commanders, or both if you want to be, will pick their teams out from a roster of players. I ask that anyone who wants to play sign up here in advance, I intend to have captains pick out their team ahead of time. However, this doesn't mean this event is closed to anyone who doesn't sign up. What I intend to do is once the warmup starts players will have about 15 minutes to join up, then once the event starts everyone that was pre picked will go to their teams and captains will draft from remaining players, captain with less players picks first.

After round is over we will change map, after all this isn't a scrim setup. Teams will stay the same unless it was terribly unbalanced, in which case we will simply redraft teams. I would like to play 3 rounds, but we might end up doing 2 depending on how long it takes teams to get their plan together and how long matches go on for.

Depending on how things go, I will say there will be at least 3 weeks of this, possibly 4 depending on demand. No more then that though, I don't want to burn people out or kill the pub servers.

Calling all leaders and commanders
    I'm looking for people who want to lead and want to command. You don't have to do both, what you can do is get someone to command for you, basically pair up with whoever you want to command your team or lead your team to victory. In case we have multiple people wanting in I'm going to give captain to whoever has the least experience, I feel like these can be good events for people wanting to learn how to be a better leader. After all there isn't many opportunities to get this type of experience. I'll be sure to help whoever needs the help.

Squads and you

You can make pre-assembled squads if you want. Squads don't have to be full 5 man squads, they can be any number of people. The only thing is you must tell me in advance who's in your squad, I will not accept any squads being made when the event is starting. This is so I have an easier time balancing teams ahead of time.

Maps
    At the moment I don't have maps set in stone, you are free to suggest any commander maps you want, stock or custom. Just keep in mind I'll make final decisions based on player count. For now though I think something along these lines would be good to start with.

Raiders(Captains want to play this instead of coast, open but it's not a huge open map.)
    Frozensummit(This was suggested instead of ward, nice open map)
    New Slaughtered(It's just such a good map)

Again it's not set in stone, you're free to make suggestions.

Final words
    The big secret to these events, to get the biggest and most fun empire matches, is your commitment. I don't mean just showing up, I mean talk about it, get people to look, to come to play, get the word out. When the round starts put effort into it too, don't just derp around with the scout rifle. Do everything you can to win, fight hard, fight with all your might. Make it hard for the enemy team, make it easy for your team by being the best damn team mate they could ask for. COMMUNICATE, teams with good comms will simply do better. Just do your best, so you can be the best.

After all there will be some scorekeeping so at end of event we can say who is the best.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  2. Lazybum

Reserved for rosters.

Captains

Mr. X's team

Indigo Passion:SL D.D.D. Destroyer(ddd wont be there)
    Z!000000M
    Raider
    Xellos
    Sgt. Security

Marcin
    Neoony
    AZK
    Mr. Bluesky
    TheLiberalElitist
    Acolyte

Vulcanstorm's team

Jekotian Elite
    Brot
    Surfaced
    Quigon
    Redskull
    Catface

Ranger
    Senor_awesome
    Angry
    Blood-wiper
    Scar

Complete_lamer to go to whoever is down a man when he joins.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  3. Lazybum

Triple posting because I'm boss like that. I was tempted to change password right when event starts so we don't get that weird trickle of players after everything is setup because that would simply be a pain in my ass.I just know it's going to upset balance. Also because I want to passively teach people to show up ON TIME or even better just a bit before, there's been a lot of problems in the past with people showing up 5 minutes after event started.

What do you guys think?

4. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Oi m8, do bans on NUBS Main carry over to NUBS Event Server? I would hate to waste a good alt :)

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I can do whatever you need me to do, lead, command, lead squad.

6. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

I'd be interested in playing... Like xya, i'm happy to do whatever is needed.

7. Lazybum

I have no idea, I'll check with creeper later. Wouldn't the ban be over by then though? That's nearly a week and a half away.

8. complete_

complete_ lamer

cool. looking forward to it
    i would say only if we get a good amount of people to show up
    lel

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I agree 100% that measures must be taken to get people to show up on time, one of the biggest hindrance of organised events in the recent past has been people not being on time. This must change.
    I missed your message in the 3rd post, but it's what I though you'd do, leave the server open in the warmup to random people can join and then close it once the game has started.
    This however leaves the very flawed aspect of the game, which is people quitting. If the balance of registered to random players is good enough it shouldn't be a problem however it could get bad if we have too many randoms.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I do hope laiwet isn't banned from the event that would be abit harsh

11. vipervicki

vipervicki Member

LOL

12. Lazybum

Well actually it was going to be passworded from the start, I would just change password when event is suppose to start so people can't join in 5 minutes later and upset the balance of teams in anyway. Most people don't usually quit after one or 2 games, so I'm not worried too much about losing pop inbetween rounds.

Everything is telling me leaving organized games such as this open at any point means we can not have any organization at all. Pub players don't care, just because you put event on the server title doesn't mean anything, people rarely if ever read motds, and if you say " we are doing this in a certain way" they respond with something along hte lines of"who cares, we just want to play empires." There's not much point in organizing anything if it's no different then a pub game.

VulcanStorm and flasche like this.
  13. Lazybum

I forgot to totally mention this, you don't need 5 poeple in a squad to be a squad, squads can be any size. So if you want to just pair up with one other guy that's totally fine. The main reason for squads is just so you can play exactly with who you want to, and of course I hope to see better squad and team play raising the skill level of games a bit.

14. Ranger

Ranger Member

I'm a regular player.

15. Varbles

Varbles Simply Maptastic. Staff Member

Just an idea I've always wondered about: would people think it's fun to have one PUG round on a map that nobody's played before? Obviously one that's been bugtested and is conceptually balanced, but still hasn't been played publicly and so doesn't have a overbearing "best strategy" that everyone knows like the back of their hand. Potentially just the minimap could be given out for planning but the map wouldn't be up for download until the day of the game.

16. Lazybum

Considering no one would know what to do everyone would be on the same foot, sounds like fun to me.

17. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

does that mean you have a new map ready to play? :D

idea is nice too :p

18. Lawliet

Lawliet Member

Please Varbles, no more slaughtered. The new version looks absolutely phenomenal but I just can't bring myself to liking that mountain-tunnel system (probably cause everyone goes into it and wastes so much time).

19. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

i want a squad, il be bringing some of the very very VERY old guys... napalm, zeke, possibly justinsmith etc Some of them dont even have a forum username on this forum anymore lol

Xyaminou likes this.
  20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

This forum preserves 2006-07ish accounts.
    But Zeke was banned.