muting individual players is not working reliably

Discussion in 'Support' started by flasche, Jun 12, 2016.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

im reporting this just for completeness, im sure everyone knows. can this be fixed?

i usually never mute anyone, but there was this guy who couldnt stop talking yesterday and the only way to make him stop talking was sourcemod. i dont like to admin mute players just for babbling, who am i to decide if something is interesting or not, but the guy was unfuckingbearable.

it had one good thing tho, as someone pointed out, he made people join instead of enduring him in spec. but he also played and you couldnt understand a thing because this guy had his mouth open without pause. but what do if theres no admin? turn off voice completely?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  2. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Actually I had the same thing; I was going to just sit in spec but Scar wouldn't stop talking so I joined BE instead.

But what's the bug? I've never noticed muting not working, but then, I hardly ever mute someone.
    So, while he's talking, you hold tab and click his name in the list. The icon changes to indicate he's muted, but you still hear him? Does the voice indicator also still pop up? Were there other players with the same name and team?

3. flasche

exactly, you mute him in scoreboard and it does nothing.
    nothing unusual aside of that.

also its nothing new, i also barely mute anyone, but i remember this happening in older versions aswell.
    its also not for everyone, you can definately mute most players.

maybe its a source thing, i cant tell tho, empires is the only source game i play.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  4. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Can confirm this is an issue. Have trouble muting some really annoying squeakers.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'd mute me, I appreciate this feature to prevent this from happening.

6. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Whoever said you know what to say to not piss people off is 100% correct. You know what to say to not make anyone mad and be neutral to all. How do you do it? I must know your secret for the general election.

7. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

You know what Mr Trump, Sir, I think you are doing a fantastic job. Being impartial is all fine and dandy - but you've got the pazaz. You do you Donald.

Plus I can't tell you, I'm sworn to secrecy by the Zionist conglomerate

8. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Can't we just mute makhpatata2005 in the source code? That little 11 year old is the only reason we know the mute button doesn't work anyway, and it would be way easier than actually finding out the real issue and fixing it...

9. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I'm pretty sure I perma muted him, I forgot to set a time. Upon further reflection I thought it best not to correct my transgressions as he'll be happy to talk to himself.

10. Donald Trump

Donald Trump Member

Drakconsin as well doesn't shut up and is annoying. Constantly talks to JK and won't shut up. Narrates everything he does... so annoying.

11. flasche

yes something like that was the nick of the guy i was talking about in my OP.

12. Devourawr

Devourawr Member

Now you mention it, there ARE a lot of fucking annoying people these days. I know the guy you're talking about, "constantly narrate everything" dude, but have you played with the Chris Kyle role player?

Literally says "kill confirmed" "tangoes spotted" "on the move" and NEVER breaks character.

Or that guy with the robot voice emulator who never turns it off.

13. flasche

i find the roleplayer guy fun, at first i thought it was some new voice over, he kinda adds to atmosphere ^^

14. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Found it kinda distracting, it's like people forget they are in a team of 20 and not 6 and so just about everything they say is of little relevance and they end up talking over people, like the commander, saying really really important things.

Unrelated, but I die inside a little whenever I hear someone say"we need to retreat and put our defenses up" when we have none of the map and are pushed back into main. It's even more strange when I literally cannot think of a single game where it's a good idea to turtle in main.

15. flasche

for me its mainly that i dont want to administratively decide what is annoying chatter and what isnt. i was under the impression its a known but forgotten bug, because you usually dont need to mute people and if it just works for most. seems its wasnt as well known as i expected, even tho its a quite old bug :D

wait you need to set a time with mute? oops, i think permamuted everyone i ever muted hahaha

16. complete_

complete_ lamer

the only possible solution is to role play as jesse ventura and own him

17. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I too li
    Milsim empires, awesome.