single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

damn. i assume you changed it yourself? the download link above is updating as i type it ...

2. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Yeah, I changed it myself before uploading it to the server.

3. flasche

so i have a question. after you could try it out a bit, what do you guys think of the prebuilt vehicle factory?
    does it help getting the map started or does it create problems because people fail to kill plain armor apcs?
    if its the later, i would offer a prebuilt forward rax - its just i hate the running at the start of rounds.
    if its fine, im fine with a vf.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

My gut was telling me when I first saw it that the other team was going to get an apc and rush it to our side as soon as possible, after all you only need a guy or 2 to build up your side of the map. So I went to our side of mid and walled it off as engy, but the other team took about 45-60 seconds if I had to guess before the apc came in.

So I'm correct in assuming that it really just encourages a rush into enemy main at start, but because of slowness you do have time to prepare against it. It'd be different if it was a jeep rush though. This is from one game, maybe it won't always play like that but I have a feeling it might.

See though, that's just how a vet will play it. Newer players not so much, and so what I really fear is if there's that one vet that knows just how good it would be get an apc in the enemy side at round start but there's no one on other team to counter it. I'd do a forward rax at start, but it's not like the running around at start bothered me, it was like the calm before the storm.

5. Ranger

Ranger Member

What if main barracks were closer to the center? People would have to go backwards to get the refs up. That would be new lol.

6. flasche

new indeed, but also kinda shit dont you think?

the best strategy should be to only have comm and one scout spawn at the start. scout gets vehicle speed and builds the cheapest apc possible. rest of the team spawns right into the apc. next is a rax at center to fortify, the scout player swtiches to engi and builds up the rest of the map.
    one of the players spawning in the apc should be gren. if everything went ideal on both teams you reach the center area at the same time. so in case one team rushes you have a counter. a single gren should bring down a paper apc easily.

but i wonder if thats too sophisticated (i admit i never considered how to best use it, i only didnt want to run) and if a team fails to get an apc or has no gren, the map might be decided within a couple of minutes.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

You assume the apc is going to stick around while the gren reloads or switches to mortar, a apc with scout speed can easily get through mid.

But yeah I wouldn't expect scout speed apc at start most of the time, we don't even have that on mvalley. I mean people forget to have a gren with defusal sometimes on mvalley rush.

8. Ranger

Ranger Member

If you don't like walking, you should install some escalators around the map. Maybe place capture points around them to emphasize how important the escalators are.

9. flasche

its not like the apc would appear out of nowhere. time, direction, destination, all predictable - use walls, turrets or your own apc to block it for the gren. its plain armor, its 2 hits and ded.
    and if 1 gren and walls isnt sufficent, take 2 ...

... but yeah, i guess its just too much to ask of players ^^

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

You mean a travelator, or moving sidewalk. Though I'm not particularly impartial to the idea of escalators in a map.

Built in VF at start is maybe not the best? Thing is on low population games it's common for the less experienced side to be completely incapable of dealing with early game mobile threats. They either fail to recognize their importance or the importance of becoming mobile themselves. Can lead to fast games that are fun for nobody.

11. flasche

well, so be it - i dont plan to release a new version any time soon (unless the vf turns out to be a severe issue), but unless someone speaks up for the vf, ill remove it together with two of the prebuilt refs and change start res to 300 so its classic, classic empires in the next version.

12. flasche

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  13. TheCreeper

TheCreeper Member

Good job flasche. It's being uploaded to the server.

14. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

[​IMG]

This hill is a problem, Commanders can drop barracks and build them on it. I see 2 solutions:
    1. Make it accessible legitimately, ladder or rocks you can climb, but change the terrain displacement to prevent barracks placement.
    2. Put a no-building brush.

Also, you should change the title of this thread so it's easier to find.

15. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Not going to lie, that base looks pretty fucking cool on the cliff like that.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  16. complete_

complete_ lamer

cant you get up with a wall

17. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No, you have to drop a barracks, build a wall, build the barracks, spawn in the barracks.

18. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

If you could build on that 2nd level, I would see this being an issue. But if you can kill it even if its at a higher elevation. I don't see the problem.

Because when you spawn on it. You cant get back up there. So you are kinda fucked on using that armory and rax. Its a one way trip when you use it.
    You could argue if you had a scout rifle on top of there, it would be a problem. But scouts are kinda useless if they are going to camp and snipe in a game revolving around vehicle combat.
    I would say a gren or two camping up there would be an issue, but just drive past them if you are able to push to that point.

Camping spots that don't have ref nodes is just pointless in a game where command vehicles matter more than tickets.

19. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Yeah being able to access that hill is not a big deal which is why one if my two suggestions was to make it legitimately accessible. It would also spread the clusterfuck that happens on the other hill and your team would have to make a strategical decision. Hold the forward hill and be too busy to deal with tanks or hold the one we're talking about and have the risk of losing the forward hill and having tanks go past you. But you can safely camp that hill until the enemy team gets HE cannon or nukes. Saving some tickets in the process.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  20. flasche

the question is, can nf do the same? if so ill add a ramp, if not ill add limiting brushes. well see ...