Store cfg in steamcloud

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Tama, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Keybindings, class skills and tank loadouts could be stored in steam cloud, so you keep your settings when you switch computers.

Credit for the idea goes to Mr.X;
    "Mr. X.: since I recently re-installed windows I had to copy my cfg from my laptop, so it came to me when steam ask me to sync files"

According to this steam documentation page (only accessible to devs, sorry) it shouldn't be too hard.
    https://partner.steamgames.com/documentation/cloud

2. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Reading this (tank loadouts) makes me think if we had steam workshop we could also have amongst other things tank loadouts on it, so people would effectively be able to copy tank loadouts from more experienced people.
    And as I posted in another thread I know a few people who are using/making custom soundpacks. I think it would be worth looking into integrating steam workshop too, if it's not too complicated.
    Not to mention the obvious, maps, textures, props for the maps etc...

Edit: Just to be clear, this is all low priority of course. Bug fixes first.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. complete_

complete_ lamer

no complaints here

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i wonder how different tank loadouts really are. in pure theory theres literally millions of different loadouts, but most are not very sane (1 layer on the left side, no other armor, fe.).
    would be interesting to have stats on that - dunno if you could deduce anything from it though.

5. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

Well amongst the vets they aren't that different, but when you play vehicletraining with noobs, it's scary to see what people use on their tanks, hell even some "veterans" use things such as nukes for tank fight.
    What's also interesting is keybinding for weapons. I recall driving a BE heavy tank recently, made by a veteran, it had dual HEC/HEMG, standard so far. But I remember that there was no keybinding to fire all of those at once, which means you could not fire both cannon and HEMG unless you keep switching between 1 and 2.
    I believe that to be a flaw, I usually have a 3rd option were you can fire all weapons at once, same for AFVs and LTs. and I know for a fact that it is not part of the default loadout from Empires.

6. Ranger

Ranger Member

On a BE heavy with dual HEC, HEMG and ML
    ------------1-------2-------3------4
    HEC1-----+------+-------+------+-----------PRIMARY
    HEC2-----+------+-------+------------------SECONDARY
    HEMG ---+------+--------------+-----------SECONDARY
    ML--------+-------------+-------+-----------SECONDARY

Since firing 2 cannons at once is buggy I'm forced to do it like that. I third firing option would be appreciated.; ML and HEMG would be on the third button. Or if double cannon firing is fixed, that'll do it too.

NF Heavy is Easier

-------------1---------2--------3--------4
    HEC-------+---------+--------+-----------------PRIMARY
    ML1--------+---------+--------------------------SECONDARY
    ML2-------+---------+--------------------------SECONDARY
    HEMG----+------------------+---------------- SECONDARY

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Not sure how people work with so many weapons on a tank, in that nf example I don't see how you reliably hit other tanks with mls when you need to lead the target a bit. Sure you could just point a tad in front and waste that he shot, but with he cannon you really just overheat so fast. Unless that missile is guided, but that's a different matter. The real problem is not only do you heat up like crazy but you tend to be missing a couple of plates. When you can't stay long in an engagement either due to overheating too fast or running out of armor too fast, or in your case both, I don't think you have a very effective tank.

Any who, I know I have to change my config for everything every game anyway so empires saving things has never really been helpful to me. I guess keybinds stay the same, but that takes like 10 seconds to do.