Turrets can be damaged by infantry weapons, yes/no?

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Sgt.Security, Mar 1, 2016.

?

Infantry weapons should deal damage to turrets?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I am not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I've always thought that turrets, buildings and vehicles should be able to be damaged by bullets tbh. The problem is the amount of damage I think they should do is so small (similar to what Security is proposing) that it really makes it pointless with the limited ammunition that players carry around. The way you could really deal with players shooting these things uselessly, is in the weapon selection have three sets of icons - one for infantry, one for structures, one for vehicles. If the weapon isn't effective against any type, you just put a big "no" symbol across it to denote that. Players will see that, go "makes sense" and then not use it for that.

The only thing that really violates the rules is mini-buildables.

What you could do however, is to make a bunch of things melee-able. I mean if someone's managed to close the distance to a structure, there's no point them being utterly useless while they're there. And let's face it, not everyone is always near someone else when there's a random turret in the way. If you melee a turret 15 times to destroy it, it's not really overkill and not too effective either. It's just something you can do to not be completely useless in a situation.

Or you could give people a free spanner to whack things with. That would be fun. I remember fun, that was a thing that was part of gaming once upon a time.

2. MiamiHeat87

MiamiHeat87 Member

Shooting turrets with rifles is not intuitive so I voted no on infantry weapons damaging turrets. But if you have .50 Cal HMG on your APC or Tank, that should destroy turrets. HMGs are designed to do serious damage like that.

3. OuNin

OuNin Member

bring back a form of scout grenades that can stun turrets. before, 3/4 classes could deal with turrets really quickly on their own but total removal of the scout grenade people kind of wander around and get shot. it's goofy

4. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

How about making it target its own team instead of simply disabling it for... 10 seconds I think it was? Never felt long.

I already know the why not, scouts are suppose to be sneaky sneaky and its not so sneaky for a turret to suddenly be firing on it's own team, but hey, sounds fun.

5. OuNin

OuNin Member

for a sec I thought that sounded like overkll but it sounds sick. rewards scouts who are in enemy bases to break shit. increases pace of scout action. good. the 10 seconds has been pretty good for me but if it comes back as-is, you should get like 3 grenades especially if you take off the blinding.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

sounds fun until you spawn in a base protected by lvl3s.

you need to consider its possible to sabotage buildings only up to a certain point. consider a whole turret farm suddently starts to turn against the base its supposed to protect. its not gonna be one by one with a full sabotage cycle inbetween each turret (which already would be a rather short time to react, especially since you only notice mgs if someone happens to spawn), but only the time it takes the scout to sprint between turrets as soon as you took over a couple - so why keep stealth since youd be protected anyway?

no thanks :D

if you have ideas always think it through from the receiving side aswell - actually give it a lot more thoughts than the intended usage. it would be fun to do it against someone, sure, but its absolutely no fun if its used against you.
    the only sane option is to leave the base die silently, it would divert too many players for too long to keep the base. and it would only require a single, stealthed scout.

but the main issue here is stealth. stealth needs a considerable nerf.
    first the maximum reachable transparency needs to be cut at something around 50-75%.
    and second and more important, cameras should detect scouts even if hidden and allow turrets to fire at them. a camera can be taken out by a few pistol shots, but it gives the option to react if you really care about your camera.
    also cameras can only be built by players and it would give them a lot more meaning, not only for frontline wallhax.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  7. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

I've always thought that cameras should give a boost to adjacent turrets, for example, turrets could pre-aim enemies within the camera range, like a player would do.
    Should cameras be able to detect "hidden" players, that's debatable since right now it's the only way to avoid detection. I don't think hide should provide radar/camera stealth it should only make the player harder to detect by other players. I think radar stealth should be a separate skill.

8. flasche

when i started playing, it was widely assumed that cameras would detect hidden scouts. only like half a year later or something someone posted the wiki article on cameras which clearly stated it doesnt. and even then it stayed a myth for quite a while.

also there already is a skill "radar stealth". but you get a 2nd skill rather fast. maybe if sabotage would be a skill aswell, that would mean 3 skills to sabotage-hide in a base - but you dont really need any other skill, maybe enhanced senses because its nice to exactly know where the guys searching you are, but its no requirement, so its no real downside either.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No that's for vehicle only, I mean one for infantry only.

10. Lazybum

Scouts soloing bases with just 2 concs, ahahaha. Even with ammo upgrade it's only 4. I can see you thinking about engy with ammo box, but I still don't quite buy it. Duration is just too short, along with the explosion range being too small, unless it's a really dumb commander and they dropped 4 turrets right next to each other. It should be used on just one turret at a time, 2 if people put them way too close to each other. Or have how far it's hit from center of explosion affect duration.

If someone really took that much effort to close out a base's defense it isn't like the comm can't recycle turrets. Wonder if a deactivate base security would be neat? Comm would want it because it helps refs get more dosh(as some random example), but it takes like 15-30 seconds for commander to reactivate security. Amount of additional res income is proportional to amount of max turrets, which works in both ways. A team can't simply deactivate and get that free money if they don't have turrets, and the team that's probably winning and has res and time to build a bunch of turrets won't entirely want to do it because that's usually the moment where losing team can launch all these surprise attacks. No turrets does make it much easier to do some ninja shit.

Really it's just a way for scouts to unentrench some engineers or someone hiding behind their turrets and walls. That's what I was thinking and it wasn't bad because it's easy to either hop on top of it or simple deconstruct the turret if you're on the receiving end.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Regarding Radar Stealth...I think that should be the in-built function of scouts, and have for about 6 years now. And by radar stealth, I mean invisibility to turrets, radars, and all electronic surveillance - in vehicles or out. Hide is an interesting skill and useful but it needs a separate nerfing overhaul. It'd be really good as a static ability, one that you could engage to fade into the background if you stopped moving, but be a little balanced by the player being revealed by any movement. So it'd be much better in close combat, and slightly less useful at range.

I still want those multifunction grenades, but they'd probably be a bitch to code tbh.

12. flasche

concs ... please ... theres enough blind spots in every base. and on more open maps you just take a vehicle and simply try not to drive through the main attack path, thats often as good as hide* :P

*as bonus take radar stealth

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  13. Lazybum

But that's a different thing...