Is your PC VR ready? (test inside)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Feb 23, 2016.

1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its solely your gpu, my i5 is 2 generations older and im as ready as i could be without a headset :D

now i can only hope for a shitload of early adopters.
    wonder how long i can withstand.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  3. McGyver

Yes, it's my Radeon 7870XT that's not up to the task. Getting a replacement as soon as 14nm cards come out.

You plan on getting a VR set? Even if the hardware is good, I don't see any game that goes beyond gimmicky yet. I tried a Oculus DK2 last week and was not overly impressed.

4. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

AMD has run some high-end AMD and NVIDIA GPUs through this test.

[​IMG]

5. flasche

my general plan is to wait for the 2nd consumer generations. if i can withstand for that long.

id play any game in vr as long as i can use keyboard mouse and no gimmicky controller (or worse an ordinary xbox controller)

i guess therell be enough choices quite soon unless it totally flopps but its too hyped for that ... in the end its not that much effort to support vr, any major company is gonna jump onto the hypetrain (or so i hope)

6. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I've started to make a "new computer fund", anything left over from my going-out money at the end of the month will go towards a new PC. Right now I've got some 2GB sapphire and a Q6600 that I didn't even OC. It is ancient now and I'm starting to notice that there are titles I can't play that I would like to.

I'm in no particular rush but I do want to get aboard the Star citizen bandwagon & be able to use VR quite alot. Not sure if I'll be looking at the 1st generation though - Ideally I would wait for the 2nd but I doubt I'll be able to wait, I have a thing for sims, I'd really like to experience Assetto Corsa / Project Cars & ARMA with VR.

I don't think VR is going to be applicable or improve every experience, I don't think it will spawn anything particularly new either - but Sim games, especially ones with controllers liek wheels, joysticks, game pads, etc could really take a quantum leap forward.

7. flasche

i only just noticed, the colors are so misleading ... i thought like wow amd sucks but they only fail to comprehend the very basics of color coding. green good, red bad. :D

8. McGyver

Yeah man, its really time for an upgrade, won't be expensive if you reuse everything but CPU, motherboard and RAM.

9. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

10. flasche

wow thats some aged cpu and still sufficient.

11. Space_Oddity

My PC needs a new GPU, 6gb more RAM and a more powerful CPU cooler so I can overclock. Then my body PC will be ready.

12. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

For some reason it's using my integrated gpu and not my discrete gpu. This isn't the first time I've had this happen, but it's annoying.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: actually I think it might have been using the gpu, the fans started to spin the second time I tried it. It's a gtx 950.

What amounts to an under clocked i3 works just fine though for cpu, but this whole vr thing doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Maybe for sim games like azk mentioned it'd be really neat, but everything else is kinda meh, would rather play on a 4k monitor or something instead.

13. flasche

i cant think of a genre where it would be worse than a monitor.

im only a bit sceptical because the head is a major part of body heat regulation and theres rubber/plastic touching skin and hair. not that big of an issue for 10 months of the year though.

14. Lazybum

Sounds like a terrible experience if you are playing rts games, I don't think it would be so hot in 3rd person games either. I can see the appeal for first person stuff, but for everything else you will simply see more with a 4k monitor right?

15. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

i dont think it'll work great for games that mandate a keyboard. I'm imagining that the view of you keyboard is oretty well obstructed or has focus issues at least. But the head tracking element alone really benefits spatial awareness in 1st person views/

16. flasche

as if i would look at my keyboard it feels like a natural extension to my fingers ...

17. Space_Oddity

I think your gaming ability would be more affected by you looking at your keyboard while you type.

18. flasche

really? i imagine it to be awesome in rts - even tbs. but 3rd person would be really odd i guess, true.

also will you see more? your actual vision is rather limited to the center of your sight. i would assume i can see more if i could just turn my head and look sideways or move my head to zoom in and out ...

19. Lazybum

What if game requires you to look at a keyboard to solve a puzzle?

I think rts would be weird because how often you end up looking at side menus and clicking on the minimap and all kinds of things, like... I don't know but it just feels like because the whole screen is right there in front of your eyes you'll have a bit of trouble getting a full picture, like noticing the little things off to the sides.

20. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

Maybe. I dunno at some point im going to take my hands off the keyboard. smoking, drinking,eating, sending an sms - its all pretty much off limits locked in - that'll be a problem

w00kie likes this.