single lane low pop comm map ...

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by flasche, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I played for a bit. Didn't get a chance to really see the whole map, mostly fought in middle til heavies showed up and we lost cause no one pushed a tank as a group. What I can say is 2 things. One is arty has the great potential to destroy any part of the map from what seems like any part of the middle area. I was just using high explosive and could basically hit all of be's refs at their start from nf's side of mid, If I had ranged I have no doubt of hitting the rest of the map. I should say I didn't get a good chance to really see the effects because like I said no one was pushing tank as much as we should have so I had to abandon arty to use tanks(they kinda kept rushing med tanks past everything to kill my arty:()

And this feels like the map slaughtered wanted to be. Considering how slaughtered breaks down to just one lane, this map offers a bunch of cover for infantry to actually do something even if tanks are rolling and it's great. I really like how hte area kinda opens up once you pass mid but sadly didn't really get a chance to see it action, we were instantly pushed back to starting main once we lost mid.

Really I just need to play it more, but early game was very fun at the very least.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what do about arty?

for the rest, i was worried this might happen. but theres plenty of build space, maybe this changes once strategies develop (not that theres gonna be a very broad spectrum, i know, i know) and people learn to know the maps quirks.

and thanks for your feedback

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  3. flasche

what about (either red or blue) to block the path for vehicles? it should delay a rush once center falls but not cut the sidelane completely. blue would favor defenders more, red should be rather balanced, but favors attackers more than blue. opinions please. (ofc neither is an option aswell)
    [​IMG]

i also plan to let you get ontop the center buildings (but not the pipes). and im still thinking about something i can put in the very center, but no idea ...

heres a blank minimap in case you want to draw something on it yourself
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/331067/empires/drygulch_minimap.jpg

thanks for input

also question still stands, what do about artillery? i only see two options, either lower the skybox so it eats the shells or blame arties for being arties.

and hows resource income - rather low, too high or just right? and if its not good, howto better.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  4. Lazybum

I'll be honest, I really don't see arty being that huge of a deal, it still seems like a great way to lose. It is a low pop map so there isn't a whole lot of man power available to spare for it, considering the size it isn't hard for the enemy to rush a tank past to take out the arty either. So I'd leave it, it's just something that would only see the light of day if there's a bunch of vets playing on a team.

About that middle, I haven't an idea of what you should put there, it just seems like the usual trench warfare spot that usually happens, like in NE canyon. Maybe some craters so tank can't as easily roll around to fight? Or a bridge between the 2 buildings so infantry can get between the 2 sides without dying to tanks? Or some sort of pit or hole that tanks can get pushed into? Just suggestions of something to add if you really want to.

I feel like commanders should be blocking up the path to starting main with buildings, I'm not sure there should be a forced path. I need to play it more to have a more solid idea though.

5. VulcanStorm

VulcanStorm Developer Staff Member Moderator

From commanding on this map; I think the resource balance is just right. It gives enough res for a decent amount of tanks & buildings, so long as your team doesn't just throw them away. And I'm not sure about artillery yet.

6. flasche

well you brought it up ^^

thank you for the feedback :)

7. flasche

so for next version - blue are stairs or jumps to get up somewhere. green dots represent ladders. most ladders aint new, only the 2 in center to get up the roofs (also old minimap image, but the new details are small anyway)

i also roughened the ground a bit in center, its not gonna provide that much cover though, especially not for tanks.
    [​IMG]

still not done and hoping for further suggestions.

also, what would you guys think if id up the base refinaries by lets say 0.5 and lower the center ones by the same amount? (or does it need integer values?)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  8. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I don't usually like single lane maps but this looks pretty dam good also what is it meant to be ? a oil/fuel depot i assume because of the pipes

9. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I think flasche is going with this, there have been no complaints.

10. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Nice.

11. flasche

yes thats in a4 aswell ...

the map still needs a lot of tweaking gameplay wise. im a bit unhappy how it plays out on in the end. seems like the map brings forth the worst of empires imbalances (nf ml spam is quite OP, infantry is relatively useless and walls a PITA)

but ill get there, ill get there. and ill try to get there without restricting brushes.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  12. flasche

oh and i have another request. if you get stuck in rocks somewhere, please make a screenshot and post it here so i can clip it.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

you never released your new version....

also, i hate the kill brushes that kill you when you stand on top of your fully built wall.
    i think this map can handle more players than you think it can. im never able to play it though because its probably knocked off the nominate list with more than 10 people and even then people just vote bootybay.
    get an admin to put it on once in a while during a 12v12

14. flasche

yes i wasnt happy with center still and some time in the "no idea" phase i got bored i guess.
    i swear i thought the kill brush would be high enough (it btw is only one at the same high as the topmost hint/understide of the viscluster)

ill have a look the next days, maybe enough time passed?

15. Ranger

Ranger Member

I think you should wait another year before releasing a new version.

As for bringing out Empires' imbalances... well, I didn't notice. I've won on both sides. For me the rate is 50-50 not including games vs nab teams. I'd say it's pretty good.

16. flasche

well maybe im overly critical because if something doesnt work out like i wanted chances is my fault and my fault alone are quite high.

and no, i should release the a4 version and then wait a year at least. theres a lot more options for infantry to get around center already. and it seems like a majority of the round revovles around center. thus why i wanted it to both play a bit more interesting and also look more appealing - im not happy with both still.

also maybe i also allow driving up the hill next to startbase, but only from the inside, so you have a 2nd exit from base when you get pushed back all the way. but thats just an idea i had this very moment. it would only be a way to drive out, you still couldnt build rax up there (but park an apc and thats where im a bit sceptical. but then, if you let an apc by on THIS map ... ?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  17. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

The end game on this map is the main bit that I feel needs some kind of tweak. I've played it four or five times and that end game just seems to not end as quickly as one might hope - and it's not like there's typically a chance for the losing team in that scenario.

I like your idea for a 2nd exit that you can't get up from outside main. Worth a shot - even more so if it comes out just behind where tanks tend to gather so maybe you could pincer attack to try and lighten the assault on your base.

18. complete_

complete_ lamer

I JUST RUINED A GOOD ROUND CAUSE THE KILLBOX IS SO FUCKING LOW

I 9MINED MYSELF INTO THE KILLBOX AND I DIED INSTANTLY

19. FN198

FN198 Member

I did the same thing. Please let cv's get 9mined to the top levels.

Also the map plays really well.. until it kills the cv.

20. Lazybum

I have a feeling you shouldn't be able to do that anyway, see proving grounds as to why.

That said I don't think you can fit a rax or anything up there so it's not as bad as proving grounds, but it's still kinda bad. I mean if it was intended to get up there we wouldn't have to use a rather obscure way to do it right? I'd like to see it as team getting punished for trying to abuse map. Good one flasche.