Discord

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ikalx, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Okay guys, thought I'd do my bit and share what will most likely be a useful tool for a lot of you clanner/group types out there. You IRC types, too, come to think of it.

That is, Discord: https://discordapp.com/

Discord basically works like an upgraded IRC with Voice capabilities. It's easy to use, lightweight, much better than steam groupchat and cheaper than teamspeak. I think it's still in Beta but it's in its major rollout phase right now, so the only drawback I've noticed is occasionally performance on the audio side.

You can use it like IRC, use it like a message board - you can read old messages made while you were offline, and use it as a voice chat. You can also link videos and share images, as well as sharing files that aren't too massive.

It's a good program and would be pretty useful for anyone setting up clans and groups, since you don't lose any messages (unless you delete them) and it isn't all done in voice. Meaning you could reliably keep a clan going there.

Anyway, check it out and see if it works for you or if it's crappy (the app is pretty good). And...that's my bit done for Empires peeps for a while xD

Ciao~

2. Catface

Catface Member

Looks nice so far. I'll give this a try ^^

3. James

James Overly Annoying Retard

Actually almost banned this guy for advertising, then I realized it was a real person and not a bot :P

4. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Discord lacks the most basic and important feature: blocking other users! Besides that it is pretty ok.

5. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lawl. Yah, with over 6000 posts, and 8 years still ticking :p Also was leader of the (second?) biggest clan for a short while (leading to its end :p) and generally a thorn in the backside of whoever. I'm not really a real person though, so there's that :D

Possibly might also help to say I'm not affiliated with Discord in any way, just been using it for two months and it seemed cool :p

6. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

yea it is really useful, been on it for months. Waiting for an API release, and will likely be integrating it as a shoutbox/VOIP all in one for the front page of the Star Citizen site. Because that way guests can have chat access, while allowing members more advanced and full functionality.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wheres the server software dl?

8. YouzY

YouzY Member

I thought this was peer to peer kind of thing

9. flasche

ah its yet another data miner i see.

10. Catface

Catface Member

Top lel.

https://discordapp.com/tos

"By uploading, distributing, transmitting or otherwise using Your Data with the Services, you grant to us a nonexclusive, transferable, royalty-free, sublicensable, and worldwide license to use Your Data, subject to the Company’s Privacy Policy. "

https://discordapp.com/privacy

"Data We Collect Automatically: When you interact with us through the Services, we receive and store certain information such as an IP address, device ID, and your activities within the Services. "
    "Information You Provide: We collect information from you when you voluntarily provide such information, such as when you register for access to the Services or use certain Services. Information we collect may include but not be limited to username, email address, and any messages, images or other content you send via the chat feature."
    "Aggregated Information: In an ongoing effort to better understand and serve the users of the Services, we may conduct research on our customer demographics, interests and behavior based on the information provided to us. This research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis, and we may share this aggregate data with our affiliates, agents and business partners. We may also disclose aggregated user statistics in order to describe our services to current and prospective business partners, and to other third parties for other lawful purposes."
    "Our Services currently do not respond to “Do Not Track” (DNT) signals and operate as described in this Privacy Policy whether or not a DNT signal is received, as there is no consistent industry standard for compliance."
    "The Company is based in the United States. No matter where you are located, you consent to the processing and transferring of your information in and to the U.S. and other countries. The laws of the U.S. and other countries governing data collection and use may not be as comprehensive or protective as the laws of the country where you live."

Lmao.

D.D.D. Destroyer and Neoony like this.
  11. flasche

the best part about it - on their homepage they state
    sure ...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Lol, well I didn't see that! Still gonna use it because it's great, but yeaaah, was wondering what the catch was...and I guess there it is :-p

@flasche there's no server download though, you just use the one program and create a server whenever.

13. flasche

thats how i figured ...

offtopic: the @ feature is cool

14. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Discord is gaining traction though. For one, it has Twitch integration, so a few streamers I follow moved to Discord with their sub channels for communication with and between subscribers.