Empires Winter Squad League

Discussion in 'Events' started by Lazybum, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Gather round for a thrilling new chronicle in empire's crazy world of scrims, pugs, and other assorted tom foolery.

There will be a new league of sorts. For the most part it's going to be a bit simpler. I will need a lot of help from you guys to make this work though.

How this works

Players will make their own squads. Commanders will choose said squads. I will choose maps, with some input from just about any players. Servers will probably alternate between euro and us servers. We will have the usual vote time of around 10 minutes, this gives ample time to pick teams and come up with strategies. We can always shorten time if things work out fast enough. I will for now say that the server will be locked with a password. Read on for an expanded explanation.

Squads

I need anyone interested in this to make their own squads. Number of people in your squad can be anything, but for obvious reasons squad limit is 5. It's important to decide who's squad lead, I expect that squad leader to make sure that their squad is informed on upcoming events, make sure their squad can come, and if someone in their squad can't make it to find a replacement themselves.

Be sure to list your squad down either in this thread or steam group. Can even give your squad a name, helps with identifying who's on what squad.

You do not have to be in a squad to attend, but it is on you to keep yourself informed of upcoming events. You also don't have a guarantee of playing with people you'd like to play with, because of...

Commanders

Instead of captains for a particular team or whatever, we will keep it simple and have commanders choose at the start of the match who's going to play for them. Anyone is free to volunteer to command, and you can in fact be a commander and play in a squad if you so choose. I would say though that if you command your squad is automatically on your team, and the other commander gets first pick, unless he has a squad too then it's a coin flip.

Commanders drafting will be in equal numbers. This means if Commander A chooses a squad with 5 players then Commander B can choose a squad of 3 and a squad of 2. Considering squads might not always be able to be picked in such even numbers floaters will help fill in, and I'll allow picks to be 1 more then the opposing team but no more and that is only if there isn't a squad that can fill in.

Maps

Like I said I will for the most part choose maps, but you guys are free to suggest whatever. We can play custom and stock maps, but I will probably make a small effort to play a few more snow maps what with the winter season incoming.

I'm not sure right at this moment, but we may do something a tad different. I'm thinking of instead of playing 2 rounds of whatever with teams switching off we may just play a different map right after the first one ends. Possibly even a third map depending on time. The reason is a few things, one is to get different commanders to command, one is simply playing different maps for fun and the other is to simply shake up the squads.

Score keeping

Apparently it's not a league if you can't brag about how awesome you are. So I will keep track of wins and loses for each squad individually. I will also keep track of commanders wins and loses. For actual individuals who aren't in a squad, ie floaters, well you are out of luck, no score keeping for you. You are certainly free to brag about your points on the scoreboard.

Remember, this league is about being the best squad around, so do your best and good luck to all participants.

Join this steam group for future updates, notices, and little events that pop up and say, "Time to play". http://steamcommunity.com/groups/empvetpug#
    Be sure to click the subscribe button on the discussion page, Neoony made a handy how to image here. http://i.imgur.com/kCwY3mT.png

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    Neoony likes this.
  2. Lazybum

Reserved for listing squads and commanders.

Commanders

Lazybum W 1/ L 1
    Spike W 2/ L 1
    Mr. X W 0/ L 1

Squads

Please note that first person listed is the squad leader.

Indigo Passion: D.D.D. Destroyer W 0/ L 3
    flasche
    Kane
    Raider666
    Z!00000M

Cake squad: YouzY W 3/ L 0
    Sgt.Security
    Nihia
    Lawliet
    Señor_Awesome

Diligence: Lazybum W 1/ L 2
    Doc_Rabbit
    Neoony
    complete_lamer
    Mr. X

Spike (lead) W 2/ L 0
    Catface (lead if spike's commanding)
    Varbles
    Redskull
    Mr ingocnito

Anti-stack: Amatoxin W 2/ L 1
    Assquatch
    Vulcan Storm
    Hopfi
    light
    MB (backup <3

capguy(Ingame squad lead)
    Drag0wn(Squad organizer)
    HaschteWas
    Insignus
    cabguy

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Neoony likes this.
  3. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You are mean. :|

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I don't think you of all people will be having trouble in finding a squad:rolleyes:

5. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

I will put a squad together. I do hope you can get enough squad leader's this is the reason i never did the league in this format just in case we never had enough.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. D.D.D. Destroyer

Yeah attendance is something that might but hopefully won't be a problem. When you are committed to a squad it's a bit different than some big roughly defined group, so I think if enough people get round to inviting their friends to play together we'll be set.

I'll ask my dudes tonight ;)

7. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know about keeping scores, you really dont want to encourage people stacking like madmen.

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

But there is still the picking phase, I'm sure it can be balanced thanks to that.

9. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Really? You have that much faith?

10. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I will play regardless of whether people think I am worthy of being asked to be in a squad.

I'll float so hard people will mistake me (wrongly, might I add) for a boat.

11. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

You are definitely not a boat, I assume?

12. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I dont know when youre planning this but im sick and going out to place that more than likely has no net to at least until sunday 1800 cet. Will probably roll with Mr. No Show squad regardless.

13. D.D.D. Destroyer

I'm assuming the commanders don't make retarded picks I guess?

14. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Or perhaps 3 really good squads, and the rest filled with okay players/randoms?

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

I feel like there is enough players to get a good balance, is all.

16. Lazybum

Well I'll be around to help commanders pick squads/floaters when the time comes. I assume that there might be either some new commanders giving it a go and probably some old ones who don't know how good some of the newish people can be.

Like it says on the event schedule thread the first game will be next next saturday on the 28th. I'll make the thread as soon as I get confirmation on server. This way people have some time to actually make squads, I really don't want the first game to be only 2 squads and everyone else a random.

As a random aside I know I'm probably going to command, now I just need to see if I can get a squad going.

Hey my thread title was changed. Not a big deal I suppose.

17. D.D.D. Destroyer

When will the first map(s) get announced? Is there a minimum/maximum required amount of players? How much time will be given between drafting and round start? For planning reasons).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  18. Lazybum

Mmm, lets start with time. I hope we can sort teams out in the first 5 minutes, that gives 5 for planning. Honestly, once you know how many and who's on your team planning tends to really only take about 3 minutes tops. But yeah, I would expect it to basically be after drafting you have 5 minutes at most to come up with something.

About minimum and max, well honestly max is server max. This is more of an organized pug then anything, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to have a player cap. Minimum is roughly in the same boat, with how the setup is it would be impossible for one team to have 5-10 more players then the other, and this event is more about squads in general so even at 6v6 is still technically acceptable. I really can't see the player count getting that low though.

About first map, I'm 90% certain the first map is mvalley. The major reason being I want a map where virtually all the strats are known so we, or at least I, can focus on this squad drafting thing. I want to make sure that goes smoothly, or at least if it does take a bit more time then I thought for the first go around teams really don't need a ton of time making a plan on mvalley. Mvalley is nice also because it can comfortably support up to 48 players or so, but still work at 11v11. Like I said we may switch to a different map, but I'm not sure what, it'll depend on player turnout and how everything goes. I will say it will most likely be a stock map though, so we don't have any hidden surprises.

As a last thought, I totally thought I sent out some steam group messages, oops. Going to use the vet pug group though, I really can't see any reason not to. Anyone interested in this is probably already in there, and it is an open group so any new guys can join in. Just do me a favor for any squad leads and players interested, hit the subscribe button in the steam group so you be better kept up to date.

19. D.D.D. Destroyer

Okay I guess we're first.

I'm signing up our squad Indigo Passion for the league.
    Players:
    D.D.D. Destroyer
    flasche
    Kane
    Raider666
    Z!00000M

Available for pickup, will be professional about it.

20. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Cake squad.
    24H cake delivery for everyone!

Sgt.Security
    YouzY <-- Actual Squad lead, in charge of squad cakes. :(
    Nihia
    Lawliet
    Señor_Awesome