CAPACATIVE ARMOR FIX

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Metruption, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Metruption

Metruption Member

Currently if capacative armor takes any bit of damage the entire armor will slowly degrade.

I suggest capacative always be degrading EXCEPT for when the current outtermost plate with hp above 0 is at full hp.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

That'd need code support, I believe.

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That's a confusing way to say you want armor to stop degrading when it gets to the next full plate. Which would be neat, but something you can't define in scripts.

4. Metruption

Metruption Member

Do we not have someone on the dev team who can code this?

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

We go through code devs faster then a fat man eats from the dollar menu.

6. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Yes but hes going through a life crisis right now and I hope he fucking gets over it.

The moment he stopped coding for this game, his life went to shit and so did the game.

7. Lazybum

8. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Confused... what IS the build servers function? Push updates to valve to give to us? Compile updates?

9. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

There is only one thing for capacative, removal it is one of the worst idea's for an armour weve had in empires.

I really have no idea why it was added in the first place.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

It's like hardened shields for immortals in LOTV. I think it's neat, it just needs tweaking.

11. Lazybum

When capacitive first showed up everyone loved using it because you had so much health it was staggering and the degen wasn't really that bad, it was like 2 hp a tic or something. Now it just has an issue of really only being useful on heavies and you need to either be an engy or always have one next to you really get the most out of it.

12. Metruption

Metruption Member

abandoning a design with a few flaws despite it being easily fixable is really dumb. good thing you're only in charge of scripts

13. Spike

Spike Long Live The King!

Empires already has enough armours as it is, it does not need anymore.

14. Metruption

Metruption Member

then remove absorbant and remove budget

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Absorbant is an actual armour and has been here from way before.

Tbh, I know people have said there are some uses for the extra armours, but I'm still with the mindset that we shouldn't have more armours than major trees. And to be honest, more than 5 variants of something is probably more variables than we actually have.

16. 101010

101010 Member

The idea was.. it's a very OP armor that can take a beating from everything. But it's weakness is time. Mostly a defensive armor as it requires constant up keep.

17. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

Did you know? The armor was actually first called pykrete armor,and i like that name more. It should have it instead of capacitive.

18. Lazybum

Variety is the spice of life. For real though, you and spike make a good point about how we shouldn't have anymore armors. I disagree with the reason though, I feel the reason is simply no commander would bother researching these specialized armors because they can grab one of the current armors that work fine even with new people.

The real fix to capacitive, armors like it, and budget is to simply pair it off to something else. I mentioned it before about getting something gives a low skill and high skill versions, capacitive would be a good test case. Simply just make researching reactive give both capacitive and reactive, reactive requires no thought so it's great for newer/unskilled players and and engys knowing what they are doing will take capacitive. If people start using capactive instead of reactive if they feel it gives them an edge then it shows capactive isn't worthless and that there is value in a high/low skill research system.

I mentioned budget, right now it's just a simple upgrade to plain. It cheap and light, but the lightness means very little because you can nearly max out on plates with nearly any armor on a med or light, even if someone brings up being able to max out on weapons you can't utilize those weapons because heat is the limiting factor here not weight. Cheapness doesn't help it's case much more when these cheapo tanks blow in just a few shots from anything. So my main point is if it's treated as a simple upgrade to plain where any other armor is preferable to it you should give it when researching upgraded chassis or meds or something. You could make it the alternative armor for compo but if you did that I would seriously suggest adjusting stats of possibly both to go along with the skilled/unskilled thing.

All that said, the original suggestion would rather help it be used by classes not engineers because other classes don't have to run as soon as they get hit to a repair pad. I seriously suggest pairing capacitive with reactive before cutting it though, useful armors that rewards skilled play without gimping the rest of the team should always be looked into.

19. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

When you get right down to it, armours already overlap in a multitude of ways, and very rarely does a 'unique' selling point of an armour actually differentiate it in real terms.

By that I mean, say reflective or absorbant, good at an angle and good vs specific weapons. All that basically means is it has a potential HP that's greater in certain situations...so you're basically still weighing HP when you choose it.

So often the unique selling points of the armour aren't changing much. Sometimes they do, like in regenerative, which means you create a whole new scenario to factor in with armour - that is "in combat" and "out of combat". However that's also shared with the infantry side as we have engineers who can repair vehicles in the field, so the scenario already exists.

I just wanted to explain a bit more about the reasoning behind "extra things that add nothing extra".

--

That being said, I think the idea to unlock a couple of variants for certain armours is really very cool, because you're right, they're niche armours and should be packaged as such.

It'd be interesting if we could tie in heat with an armour, sort of give armour/engines/weapons some synergy.

20. Lazybum

Hmmm, it feels strange to say we only judge some armors on one metric, hp, because we do that with some weapons too. It's true though, so I can't really argue against it.

Adding some parameters to armor about heat sounds kinda neat, but it kinda depends on what parameters. Adjusting cooling rates, max heat, or something unique? I wonder how hard it would be to copy paste the engine values to armor and have the game just add those values to whatever the engine has. Still, some don't like the idea of placing more emphasis on the heat bar. It isn't as bad as it used to be because you can't overheat yourself though.

I'm always up for more values to fiddle with, but not everyone understands scripting like I do and can't always see the value in such things.