Going from a Q6600 to an i5-6600K – Intel Skylake CPU review

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by McGyver, Aug 19, 2015.

1. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

Will it suffice when I say that the difference in RUST on fantastic from stock to 4.3Ghz is 55fps to 64?

2. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

3. w00kie

My PC spends parts of the weekends decoding mkv and running Windows Backup.

Backuptime has decreased, the disk that's written too normally had a write rate of ~35 MB/s, now it's constantly under full load ~ 120 MB/s.

MKV to mpeg2 is done on the fly (direct streaming) and the cpu is idling at 1600Mhz while all 4 cores are encoding.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  4. McGyver

For now my overclock will be this: 4.4ghz @ 1.290v and 2666 @ CL 16. This is fast, energy-efficient and stable. Dat 52ns RAM latency.

5. w00kie

I haven't really looked into it so far, just raised from 2133 to 2400 and forced XMP timings.

Will update results in this post.

2400 14-14-14-35 CR2 1.200 Volts with all kinds of shit running in background and again with just basic desktop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2666 14-14-14-35 CR2 No-idea-what-Voltage with all kinds of shit running in background and again with just basic desktop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Why did my "Northbridge" Clock degrease itself? lol, fuck. Just saw that DRAM Voltage on Auto set itself to 1.352 Volts, that is within range, but still shitty :( System Agent Voltage went up by 0.208 Volts --> That's plain baaaaad. Updating Bios now.

New BIOS, 2666 14-14-14-35 CR2 1.308V with all kinds of shit running in background and again with just basic desktop
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Summary:
    • Updating Bios does no difference in RAM benchmark
    • 2666 is faster than 2400 :D
    • 2133 RAM can run on 2666
    • I should to tweak the System Agent if I stay at 2666
    • My cheap Voltmeter always reports 70 Watts in idle no matter the RAM Voltage
    • Leaving RAM Voltage on AUTO will set very high Voltages when overclocking RAM
    • Asus Bios Updater is a fucking gamble
    • I should put pants on

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. McGyver

Yeah, when you activate XMP you get the higher DRAM voltage, but as you said that is within specs and only costs you one or two watts more power consumption. The Northbridge doesn't have much influence on performance AFAIK and it steps from 800-3900 at stock, according to load.

Anyways, going to 2666 with CL 14 is nice, use HCI to test for stability. (run 4 instances for your 4 cores and max out the RAM usage with them)

7. w00kie

I changed from CR2 to 15-15-15-35 CR1 @ 2.1 Volts, stupid System Agent Voltage won't go down under XMP, will just leave it on 1.216 Volts now. CR1 Doesn't seem to make a difference in AIDAs benchmark.

Result:
    [​IMG]

Will test HCI now.

EDIT: I quit the 8 HCI Memtest processes after 65% with 0 errors. CBA to leave them running any longer. (needed 8 processes to test 16GB :()

McGyver, did you enforce that CPU Voltage or left it at AUTO?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  8. McGyver

I set it to 1.290 in the BIOS chosing adaptive mode. In the maximum voltage for turbo field.

9. w00kie

So, if I set that it's just the max allowed Vcore?

I'm just hesitant because I come from a time of Duron and Athlon overclocking, setting shit could easily cause BANG back then. I know modern CPUs and mainboards are full of safety mechanisms to never let that happen, but I still rather know exactly what I'm doing. ASUS' labeling in BIOS is not really helpful in that regard. F.ex. leaving CPU SVID Support on "Auto" never tells you if your CPU can still comunicate with the main voltage regulator or if it disables it on OC.

10. McGyver

There are different modes that allow you to set voltage:
    Manual: set the voltage and that voltage will always be the one delivered to the CPU, no energy saving there.
    Adaptive: allows for voltage downthrotteling according to CPU speed, together with the voltage you dial in the Turbo field it sets a maximum voltage on high load.
    Offset: set a voltage and allow voltage states in multiplicatives of the offset you state

ASUS overclocking guide says their data shows maximum voltage for Skylake should be 1.42v. Nobody really knows what are good voltages for Skylake, but they are higher than for Haswell because of the removed on-chip voltage regulation.

Just look at the voltages with CPU-Z while they are on auto, to get a feeling for it.

Also, I have no clue what the other voltages like VIN, etc are for. I just leave them on auto.

BTW, don't forget to turn off that audio LED shit after a BIOS update. ^^

11. w00kie

I got that audio LED stribe and on top of that 4 LEDs on the mobo inbetween the PCIE 16x slots and a stupid red LED on the bottom of the board that always stays on when power is connected to the board. :|ove: I turn the first two off, because my tower is under my desk anyways, that stupid mainboard power LED can't be turned off though and is visible at night when the PC is off.

I still gotta figure out how to run Bios update just once and not twice when I update.

12. McGyver

Meh, I had HCi going to 500% without errors, I passed Realbench and Aida stresstest, but GTA V keeps producing blue screens. Maybe it's the fucking heat today.

13. w00kie

I tried GTA 5 yesterday and only got the wounderful DX 11 crash message after around 40 minutes. Haven't seen a BSOD in years on my machines. Have you checked if event manager logs anything of significance before the BSOD occurs?

14. McGyver

I updated the BIOS again (with a boot loop ofc) and will just play GTA V instead of stress tests.

Intel has finally released full specs and information for the Skylake CPUs. Take a look at page 115, maximum recommended voltage is 1.52v!

15. w00kie

[​IMG]

I should really try to figure out how to flash Bios without funny loops and lost settings if I follow that release cycle any further. I wonder how little QA goes into those updates.

16. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I had similar problems with GTA V. Turn off steam overlay ingame and allow your Nvidia/AMD driver software to configure the game itself. The second one is more important I think, I used to crash before the game even loaded sometimes (BSOD) but after that I never BSODed again.

17. McGyver

You mean overriding the graphics setting via AMDs CCC? I will try that.