y no one talk about doto no mo

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by communism, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Metruption

Metruption Member

It was just really awkward. "Whoo hype whoo whoo and here's deadmau5 with some extremely chill music" It just didn't feel like it belonged.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

See I don't get it! How was that music chill? I get there is some build up but the music wasdefinitely not chill lol! Most of the time it was very loud and fast, I was there and I have video to prove it.

The people around the arena weren't just not dancing when it went slow. Most never started, the few that did only kept it up for 30 seconds or 2 minutes or so. I don't think any of the typical complaints that sound logical out of context online, match up at all with the fucking dear in headlights actions of the crowds. It definitely seemed more like a complete fear of dancing in public lol, or something.

I don't know, I had a good time. Set locaton was awkward and Valve needs to work on that and some fucking video production. But I just watched 8 hours of fucking glorious gameplay, some people win millions of dollars, and I can take care of my own hype tyvm. I don't need Gaben to hold my hand lol.

Edit: also, artists often read the crowd in their set, if people stop dancing they usually go slow giving them time to recover because they assume they are tired. I wonder if Deadmau5 did try to reset the crowd like that. But the songs were iconic and fun anyways.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

8 hours of glorious gaming? Did we even watch the same thing? Game 2 of finals was actualy interesting, everything else was complete meh.

4. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

5. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I saw a video from inside the arena today and I'm inclined to agree with you about the production. You guys had the montage of the whole event and we had the weird ass production, so it was kind of lame in that respect. To be honest, I think all they really needed to do was let EG do their shit on the arena, take them backstage to decompress, have 10 minutes of analysis or whatever, bring EG in for 5 minutes of further analysis, then close TI with the Deadmau5 set but actually include the montage that you guys saw inside. The music and lighting and shit looked fine to me, it was jut the order that things were done which was kind of odd. Well, the ending was pretty strange as well but whatever. The response has been pretty bad and it will put people off doing this kind of thing in future which is a shame.

I actually rewatched that Alliance ending for TI3 and yeah, that's pretty much what everyone wants. I supported Navi super fucking hard and I was gutted when Alliance won, but they definitely made me believe how much they wanted it with that celebration. EG just didn't do that and that just made the whole thing feel a bit anticlimactic to me. I think a big issue (which we discussed in TS) was that in TI3, it was winner takes all in that final game. TI1, 2, 4 and 5 were all 3-1 wins and so the winning team still had another chance to win even if they lost the game which actually won them TI, so maybe that changes things a bit. If CDEC had taken game 4 and pushed it to a game 5 then things might have been different.

The games were pretty good imo, far better than last year. I honestly doubt anything is ever going to match up to TI3 because it took a lot of really special circumstances to create that final. But last night's finals were good and this meta has definitely been a lot better than some of the previous ones.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

I didnt say it was worse than last years, however because of many reasons it didnt feel as if was the biggest game of a year.

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

just because they "won" a million each doesnt mean they will be taking home that much

wonder how much they made from sponserships though

8. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

For the first time ever, I pretty much agree with everything Trickster said.

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I hear valve pays the tax

10. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well, I've heard numbers between $45,000 and $100,000+ for the salary of EG members. The first number was what Sumail himself said (just short of $4,000 per month), the second was Charlie (the manager for EG Dota team) saying they got over 6 figures a year.

As far as that money goes, I think Valve covers any US tax. When Alliance won $1.4 million, the organisation (same as EG's, GoodGame) took 10% off that. From that point it was split 5 ways and given to the players. The Swedish government took 50% I think, so I know Admiral Bulldog came out with over $100,000 which is still pretty poor, but that was Swedish tax.

So yeah, actually, based off $6,600,000+ , taking 10% off, they're all still millionaires.

11. Deiform

Deiform Member

Not sure why CPatton is confused about the gamers not wanting to dance. We're hardly known for our pop and lock rhythm...

Dancing at any gamer event is always cringe. 80% of the people there are pasty males that wanted to watch some dota and then got caught in some weird electronic dance concert. Really sounds like their comfort zone, haha.

12. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Lol yea I figure that was more of the problem, but I don't want to stereotype to discount the reddit complaints. Really though, the concert didn't seem like the problem beyond timing, it seemed like the people didn't want anything to do with a concert, then somehow made it deadmau5's fault for it lol.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  13. Deiform

Deiform Member

Yeah, it's Valve's weird marketing department that organises these things. At this point I'd say they're just picking on electronic artists so they can get free karma on /r/cringe.

14. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Just ran into Dendi at the fish market in Seattle lol

15. Paradox

Paradox I am a gigantic asshole who loses people's hard wo

Ok so what do you think worked during ti5?
    The point im trying to get across is that all tactics work out if the players play well.
    All you are saying is, those strats dont work cause look they lost with it.
    Thats the same mentality low level people have when they play dota and go like, YOU CANT PICK INVOKER BECAUSE THIS ONE PRO PLAYER LOST WITH IT ONCE. Or you cant play this strat cause 1 team loses with it.

Same goes the opposite way where people pick a hero because pro players succeed with it.

All you do is saying shit dont work because you saw a match where it lost.
    Maybe you should get your facts straight because for every game early snowball lost, there is probably a game where it worked.

tl;dr you are a negative pansy who doesnt do his research on dota

16. Deiform

Deiform Member

Winter Wyvern worked pretty well I think. That hero is so bullshit.

17. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

ok

She was super bullshit before the nerf, and by super bullshit I mean my favourite hero to play.

18. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

So did PL. When played properly and in a decent draft, PL gets late and carried out well.

19. Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica Member

I just installed DotA 2. Been playing League for 5 years and Hereoes a few months ago. Any heroes to learn?

20. PredatoR[HUN]

PredatoR[HUN] Member

I recommend reading trough the "Welcome to Dota, you suck" Guide. It's super informative and goes over everything you need to know. It also gives some good hero recommendations.

This guide is aimed specifically towards League players coming to dota so it could be usefull. There is also a recent reddit thread that has some good info for league players.

If you don't like reading that much Purge has a really good youtube channel where he plays all kind of heroes and shows how to play them optimally. Just look up whatever hero you want to learn and watch, it's how I learned in the beginning. He plays at a pretty high level though so some things in his game will not apply to your games for a good while.

For your first few games I recommend queuing for easy/medium bots to get a feel of the game. Juggernaut and Gyrocopter are very easy and straightforward carries to play. Abbadon and Spirit breaker are also good choices, on both heroes you can afford to make a lot of mistakes.

There is also ingame guides that help with item and skillbuilds(up to a certain level, Jephir), just click on the icon and select one.

That's all I can think of right now, you are welcome to add me if you want more help or anything.