We have moved to a new server (again)

Discussion in 'News' started by CyberKiller, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocRabbit

DocRabbit Member

Somehow you got confused on what I meant here. I'm not talking about donations. I'm talking about stepping up and paying for servers. Be it forum, game or development servers.

I agree you're not going to get any power for doing this, if you did, you'd be doing it for the wrong reason. I just think that too often people forget that somebody out there is putting out hard cash to keep this game alive, and far too often hammered for doing so.

2. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Are you familiar with the term "technical debt"? Technical debt always sucks, in my opinion.

Strategies for dealing with it vary pretty wildly though. Google, for example, is pretty strict about "refactoring first and refactoring often". I like their strategy. Of course, you don't have the finance to support that, but these strategies have particular importance as projects get older. Empires is very much an old project.

Forcing a major change always sucks as well. It's almost as bad as performing major code re-write. Making incremental changes to improve things is always an option though.

I think you misunderstand. Not trying to make friends doesn't make me unfriendly. I am just being explicit and neutral (or trying to). People tend to take offense about any kind of criticism whatsoever.

Hopefully it's running at high priority, so shouldn't be a problem during builds

I use windows - why are you so presumptuous?

No one is making you maintain the project. I'm also investing my time by offering my input. You are free to ignore it.

3. Reznov

Reznov Member

Is this like an official forum scrim, with passive aggressive sentencing hitting one anothers semi-tothetopic-useful statements instead of the usual heavy tank chokepoint wars?

4. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

what do we conclude if empiric evidence contradicts our theory? correct, we neglect it and blame everyone else :D

scnr

5. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I miss the days where I could just tell people to go fuck them selves.
    But oops, that's an infraction.

6. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

I'm familiar. I'm far more familiar than you might imagine.

Also there is literally no reason to not use a friendly tone. It makes conversation easier and people more likely to reply constructively. Take Trickster's last post in this thread where he didn't bother explaining anything.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Every time someone says, "I'm just being neutral, not unfriendly," I die laughing at their major inability to grasp one of the core concepts of good communication in Anglophonic cultures (and a good number of other cultures too). There is no neutral-tone communication except in the most academic and formalized of contexts (like ISO standards); emotion is not just common but actually expected in everything from talking to a friend to a major Supreme Court opinion. Not being friendly isn't being neutral, it's being absolutely unfriendly.

In other words, by trying to be neutral, you end up sounding rude, imposing, demanding and outright unfriendly. Whether you actually are or not, I have no idea. But that's the tone your words are conveying.

8. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Guys, does this shit really need to belong in the news section?

9. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Or speaking mandarin/cantonese, where emotion changes what you are saying, but we aren't speaking here.

10. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Why, I enjoy watching forums administrators brake their own rules multiple times in a single thread.

11. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

[​IMG]

Locked.

If yous want to continue the conversation productively please create a new thread in General Discussion.

12. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

I was wondering how long this thread would last.
    Slightly unrelated: I changed the default thread sorting on the news forum to thread start date to stop people bumping up old threads as well. (makes more sense to have the news stay in the right order.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.