Build sprites are visible through the fog of war

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Cokemonkey11, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

See: http://i.imgur.com/iKwIFkc.jpg

Screenshot seems benign, but the issue has an impact on the game. Build sprites are visible to the commander from arbitrary distance.

2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

What am I looking at?

3. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

He can see nf walls even though there's no be anywhere near there.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

Oh durr, I didn't notice.

5. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

he said sprites - walls are models, sprites are 2d objects ...

... its probably that white spot in center of the red mark on his pic?!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  6. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Inside the red circle there is a small blue "flash" - the sprite that pops up when you are constructing/repairing a structure. It looks small in the screenshot, but in game it's much more outstanding since they are flashing periodically.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

so paticle sprites. you can also see ref-node steam particles even though you shouldnt be able to. helps to know what refs are claimed by the enemy.
    non gamebreaking bug but doesnt make it appear polished either. question is, devs "fault" or source engine "feature" you cant do shit about?

8. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I guess it depends on your definition of gamebreaking. I consider this quite a ship-stopper.

Never blame the engine for bugs without evidence. The rule is: developer issue until proven otherwise.

9. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I thought about that, but what's in his screenshot is something I've never seen before so I ended up assuming it was the walls because I do think that's something you usually don't see unless you have allied troops there. Though for walls it feels like there is a bit of delay til they actually disappear.

To be honest at first I thought he was talking about that white line coming from around the mid point out, it kinda looks like that weird wall bug, except the line tapers off and I never seen the walls whited out like that.

Not so sure about this...

10. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

If you're a computer scientist, a game designer, or a software engineer, you might get away with making outrageous claims about engine bugs.

In your case, just never do it.

11. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

did 101010 travel back in time to make an account?

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

Nah, 42 doesn't make himself look so priviledged.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Cokemonkey, I'd suggest you drop your underlying aggressiveness. It won't help anyone and won't further your interests.

Concerning the bug: Those are not sprites (those only exist in 2D games), those are particles.
    That white "line" Lazybum mentioned is simply a smoke trail of a projectile. You can even still see it in the shot.

Back on topic: I agree that this is something that tells you, something is there that you shouldn't be able to see. It's another of these things tied to how the Fog of War is implemented. Should it be gone from a game design standpoint? Absolutely. Is there something that can be done about it from our side? It's pretty likely since the implementation of the "FoW" is Empires-code.

I'd just like to make a point here: Sure you can blame the devs for bugs in a mod. Just make sure you blame the right devs. We are not the only ones that contributed code and assets to the overall game you play today.

14. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

I am not being aggressive, I'm just doing my best to be precise and unambiguous - something I'm not always good at.

Bug reporting isn't about agendas, it's about clearly and concisely explaining a problem that others can reproduce. Interests and niceties have no place here.

Incorrect, animated sprites can be used in 3D games. I believe you may be correct in that they are particles, though.

Unrelated.

Developers are always to blame. Blame doesn't have derogatory connotation for developers.

If anything, you should be very happy it's code fault, implying the bug can be fixed.

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Game breaking = Game cannot be played properly and is broken. Examples of this are inability to spawn, inability to build, inability to construct/drive certain vehicles, inability to research, inability to use weapons, inability to use particular skills (revive, defusal, build upgrade), etc.

Not included: visible tweaks and polish.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  16. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

What if they provide teams an unfair and unintended competitive advantage? Sometimes game-breaking is more geared towards competition.

17. Metruption

Metruption Member

It's probably not an engine bug because dota2 hides particles with fog of war.

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That thing with that is, that this bug is not restricted to be only used by one team.

19. Metruption

Metruption Member

cokemonkey stop repressing those feelings

20. Cokemonkey11

Cokemonkey11 Member

Right, but it does allow a dishonest team an unfair advantage over an honest one.

For example (this is a shit example) in league of legends, players can be banned if they're found to be abusing bugs.