DOOM Sequel Is A Thing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BigTeef, Jun 15, 2015.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Boy doom got fucking murdered tonight.
    Fallout was the only upside to that damn bethy conference.

And im even skeptical because of that website they introduced, that screams drm to me.
    The settlement thing is something I always wanted in elder scrolls. Running my own ork tribe and building our own stronghold.

And the fact its free form placement and rotation and not shitty menus is a big bonus.
    But the rest looks like fallout combat, which is fine I guess.
    I always used melee weapons in fallout games because I liked saving ammo for dangerous stuff, and fallout melee isn't particularly good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Doom got murdered? What are you talking about, Doom is the first game I've been hyped about in forever. I don't even care about multiplayer or the SnapMap whatever, the gameplay looked like they just brought Doom II into modern gaming.

Which is exactly what I wanted from it. A modern Doom II.

I'll most likely get Fallout 4 and complain about all the issues it has. Because there will be issues.

3. BigTeef

So you wanted QTE's in a doom game, slow downs, and obnoxoius glowing shit telling you to shoot here.
    They also said its fast, that wasn't fast to me at all.
    This is fast.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping the guys who did wolfenstien was going to do doom. I was fucking wrong.
    Goddamn the last wolfenstien game and its prequel are good.

Cinematic takedowns
    Slow mo when pulling up a fucking weapon wheel
    Weapons don't feel powerful at all
    Weak sounding plasma gun
    Chainsaw is a QTE weapon
    A fall animation
    Bad pacing
    That glow when enemies can be executed
    That horrible music

Looks pretty, but the doom I recall was game play over graphics.
    And this doesn't look like that harmonious doom 3 where it had good game-play and graphics.

Instead this looks like halo with dubstep.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. Candles

I didn't see any quick-time events, unless you're referring to the finishers which are entirely optional and really damn awesome. And I didn't see any slow downs, except for the finishers which most were incredibly fast, and the chainsaw which is still faster than in Doom II. And the glowing stuff I only saw as an indicator that you can use the finishers.

Your idea of fast isn't even a Doom game, so I don't even understand that frame of reference. Weapons seem powerful enough to me, the person play had serious aiming issues with the shotgun though. I don't care one way or another about the slow-mo, but I would imagine direct weapon-select hotkeys would be in the game. Plasma gun sounds like a rapid-fire energy weapon, I don't know what you were expecting. I don't see an issue with the fall animation or the glows either; the fall animation is really damn quick anyway. I'd hardly call most of those "cinematic". And I don't even think we have the same definition of what a quick-time event is, for that matter.

Certainly looks and seems better than Doom III, which tried to mash survival-horror elements into a game that they didn't belong in.

5. BigTeef

Are you kidding me?

Me and senor watched this together, he doesn't even give a shit about doom.
    And caught all the stuff I just mentioned.

[youtube]A-_YYZjkfUg[/youtube]

Wow, actually instead of breaking down a 7 minute video im going to say your in denial and eagerly await your response to when you play it.
    Because holy shit, you said just said doom isen't supposed to be that fast when I can pull up a doom 1 video and hes going the same exact speed in that gif.

6. Candles

Yeah, I watched that video and the other one in Hell. If those are what pass for quick-time events nowadays, then quick-time events have gotten a lot better since when I last had to deal with them. There's no prompt and they're entirely optional, I don't see the problem.

7. BigTeef

8. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Im more leaning towards teef, here. Those finishers look atriocius and completely out of sync with the pace of the game.
    The slowdown seems to be there just for the console babies to use more than 2 weapons though.
    Plasma gun doesnt have enough of an 'ooomph' sound to it.
    >hand scanner doesnt check for pulse as well >.>
    Whats with the low ass ammo count ?

9. Señor_Awesome

Señor_Awesome Member

Speed-wise, I think judging by videos this game is the equivalent of going from 200 cc (if you were to go and play brutal doom right now) to 100 cc in Mario Kart 8.

And trust me, that is one hell of a transition. Once you go 200 cc, you never go back.

My favorite youtube comment: "That level design is fucking awful and nothing like the original Doom". :rolleyes:

The map maker is my favorite part about this, I think. A robust one of those usually leads to an active community with some new content in this kind of game. Especially with an IP like this that has a long dedicated fanbase.

10. Z100000M

They seem to be the main way of getting ammo (which is really fucking low too) so no, they are not optional as far as i can see.

11. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

last game i played which had the doom feeling was serious sam1/2/3 plus vaious addons and second and thrid encounters ...

12. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Looking at the video, I'm feelin' a few things. One is the weapons all look kinda fail. Default shotgun looks bad, though the super is semi-decent. I think they all have like...no character to them and are glossy rectangular blobs, which is pretty sad.

The enemies also look pretty boring. They look like attack patterns given faces, not anything interesting. I'm actually surprised there, since they have like Dead Space to look at if they need inspiration. These enemies look surprisingly bland in comparison.

It does seem a little faster than Doom 3, and I like that they've lightened it up a bit and it's not so much "narrow corridors with monsters that pop out at you", but equally, it looks too bright and a little too open maybe. It's not just empires that goes from one extreme to another :p

Finishers seem a bit...unneeded? They also look pretty disorientating. I would probably prefer to whack things with my gun or mighty boot them to death. Chainsaw feels a bit slow and way too gory, probably wouldn't use it much if it stays the same.

All in all...could be worse, but doesn't seem very interesting. If the title was "Marines" would you look at it twice?

13. flasche

dont get me wrong, the graphics look great (though it certainly is taste), its just not saying "hello, my name is doom"

14. BigTeef

I knew I was not crazy, this seriously looks like halo with a doom skin.
    Also I love how this was forced into another thread and context is now missing.

Even though I brought up fucking fallout and talked about it.

15. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Not sure how you can expect the same speed in a 3d engine compared to a 2d engine. ID tech 1 had an exploit where you can run faster if you strafe diagonally too, and most likely there are many more exploits. Anyways the game looks great not sure where the hate comes from.

Also I enjoyed DOOM 3, more games need to do the System Shock journal/audiobook storytelling.

16. flasche

like it wouldnt be used in each other game. everygame with the slightest touch of rpg has something alike ...

17. Z100000M

How many fp/tp games have you played? They ALL do this now. This is a complete ad nauseam shit right there mostly in there for cheap ass lazy filler.

18. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

As Jesse Cox put it, this is lazy storytelling.

19. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

I stopped playing new video games a long time ago so I wasn't aware, but it worked for system shock/bioshock/DOOM 3 since it builds up how the setting is a place that used to be full of people and is now full of undead, what went wrong, etc. Even Diablo I and II had it with the tomes (narrated by the magnificent Paul Eiding).

What's lazy about it?

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

It works pretty well for horror, I just wish sometimes it wouldn't be like a bagload of cd's waiting to be collected in the game. Give a short audio clip, then two lengthy ones, then a proper cutscene. Not a couple dozen clips and then a boss fight without any story.

Also, if you're going to make a game with story, make characters who are interesting. Don't just cop out and have some audio clips laying around all the time, actually put some story in.

It's all down to judicious use imo. It works, in moderation. Just like everything, basically.