Passenger spinning

Discussion in 'Art' started by BigTeef, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

5:21 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: I am working with candles on figuring out
    5:21 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: how to stop spinning passengers
    5:22 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: once he gets back to me on, it will determine if code can solve it or need to contact the art guys
    5:22 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: From what he said, the turrets need to be centered
    5:22 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: and he can parent the player
    5:22 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: and it will prevent the player from spinning
    5:23 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: with the turret
    5:23 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: indeed
    5:23 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Some hatches aren't centered, though
    5:23 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: I think the NF LT is the main perpetrator here
    5:23 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: The thing is he said he wants to try some things
    5:23 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: before I go to the art guys.
    5:24 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: I have to go to bed I'm afraid btw
    5:24 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: It's nearly 1 AM here
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: centering the tank turrets dont seem to be much
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: sounds easier than making a new model from scratch
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: however I would message redskull
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: and the other guy I think smithy
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: about this
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: so their tanks don't spin players
    5:24 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: spin*
    5:25 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Yeah message redskull and firewarrior, they can add it to the board
    5:25 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: Should I just make the thread about it
    5:27 PM - =[BSID]= 1LT Beerdude26: Yeah make a thread in art forum
    5:27 PM - Big Boss BigTeef: ok

I made a suggestion about passenger spinning, and it was 3 pages of people theorizing about what the issue is instead of working on it to find out and fix it. I revived the thread to be told to fuck off. So I messaged candles out of spite and he said he can try to fix it.

So to summarize the chat above, candles can fix the long issue empires had with the passenger spinning if the the turrets on the vehicles get centered. However that is something out of his department and he would need to reach out to the art guys. AKA talking to people who make pretty things pretty.

So im doing it for him.
    Do you guys think you can do something about the tanks?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think, as Beerdude said, one of the problems was that by anchoring the player to the tank itself rather than the turret, which meant that when the player got free movement not affected by the turret (but probably ended up getting moved by the tank itself still) and the turret wasn't actually centre, then you had weird clipping issues where the turret would rotate off-axis and the player wouldn't be in the hatch.

IIRC the mount points were done in the .qc or somewhere around that part of the pipeline, but I don't know if it can be solved without actually having code support. It's also worth pointing out other potential issues that can arise, such as by giving the player free movement in the hatch, if the guy in the turret turns 180 then suddenly the player in the top is mortaring himself in the face on the half open hatch.

Not saying that this doesn't need to be fixed because it's actually really fucking bad that we've got this far without addressing the issue, but it's definitely not without its challenges both in terms of implementation and practicality.

As an aside, MOOtant actually did some code-work into damping your tracking as the tank driver when you go over bumps and stuff. I.e, the aim would "absorb" you going over some bumps and stuff and not throw your aim off. I have no idea if that ever got implemented, but it's worth finding out how that might affect infantry in the top as well.

3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Quite frankly why does the hatch even still have a hitbox(or why is it there at all)? Its just a pain the ass for this reason. Also dont know if completely related, but still a passanger issue is that gren projectiles can and will kill you if you dare to shoot while moving foward, so if someone could either make this real life physics friendly or just slap a self invuln on the passanger, thatd be great.

4. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I figured the hatch problem would of been obvious enough so I didn't mention it.

5. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I don't grasp why movement of the hatch, when it isn't in center, can't be calculated for the player in the hatch so he moves with it in sync. I mean it does sound doable.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  6. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

It's just complex. It's doable, just not feasible.

7. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

It's simply amazing to me how this forum still manages to derail a thread in 5!!! posts. I moved all the off-topic posts to here. So please stay on topic now. If you don't have anything constructive to say about how this might be fixed, don't post.

Back to topic:
    In my opinion the simplest solution would be to figure out how to build the parenting relationship of entities with translation(moving) only while ignoring rotation. That would give the player the ability to turn around as much as they want on their own, but would still move them with the turret hatch.
    If that solution is not possible at all the only other solution would be to just center the hatches on the vehicle turret, which would still make the player turn with the tank, should the tank hull turn. This is not optimal in my opinion.
    From what I've gathered in a quick search is, that the parenting is always done in the child. So you wouldn't find anything in the .qc of the vehicles, but rather in the .qc for the infantry models or just simply only in code.
    And since it came up here as well, I am also in favor of removing the open tank hatches in their current form. That means they should not be sticking up in the air but instead lie on the turret roof. I can't think of a single tank that would lock the open hatches at that angle.

8. 101010

101010 Member

Have you tried just setting an absolute position ?

From the few models I decompiled . The hatch, and attachment spot lined up with the hatch.
    So in stead of attaching the player to the turret or base. You could always try an absolute position.Set it to the center of the hatch.

There are ways to fix it with code. But would require multiple parts to fix it.
    Or there is a way with code to slow down the movement. So you would slowly follow the turret spin.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  9. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

That is what I just said. Take the world position of the attachment point and copy it to the player's origin position.

That is not really an option as it would lead to the player model glitching through the turret.

10. 101010

101010 Member

Basically you could slow down your view spin. So that it would allow you to still aim a little easier. The player model would still snap with the turret but the players view in the turret could have a little dampening.

By absolute position I meant absolute position in the turret as it is a separate model.
    Right now your linked to it. It moves = player move.
    You could set the attachment to absolute so the player is in the hatch but not bound to it's movement.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015