Tutorial test by Tama

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Tama, May 17, 2015.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

The tutorial is really great; so much better than I was expecting. Still, here are my notes from the first play through.

At the start, I did not choose a class, because I was returning from setting the sound volume in the main menu using escape, and tapped it twice. Possible fix is to make it impossible to close the class menu without selecting a class.

text: "this is a buildable" when you encounter the bridge is inaudible. It's also rather unclear to use buildable as a noun. Instead, I suggest: "Some bridges can be destroyed and rebuilt. Rebuild the bridge with the repair tool to proceed."

In the room with all the buildings:
    -General Tactics alpha value is too low; I can hardly read the text. Also, when I E-use the text balloon, the screen centers on the panel. Here, the text below is useless and distracting. The centering is also much too short (approx. 6 seconds, while it took me 28 seconds to read the panel). There is an annoying trade-off here, both for players who want to read it, and those who did so accidentally. Therefore, I think it would be worth the effort to make the screen stay until you press E again; change the text below, making it low enough to be off-screen, and let it read: "Press use (default: E) to leave"

The arrow on the minimap does not track me. It also looks different than the arrow in the tutorial screen on the HUD.

The building sounds are all missing except for NF refinery.

In the sandbox:

The BE APC is missing. All of the sounds are missing, and the instruction panel in the VF should also display that "V" is to open that menu. Otherwise, your only source is a piece of sound which some people will inevitably miss, leaving you stranded in the tutorial.

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

1. the class selection menu coming up at all is a bug, since the tutorial tells you how to choose a class afterward
    2. "buildable" is more of a empires term. people say it alot ingame so i dont see why thats a problem
    3. that picture should not be at an angle so you dont need to press e to read it without straining your eyesight
    4. *dont know*
    5. think thats a general empires bug

6. be/nf apc is missing because otherwise you could spawn in the sandbox at the beginning of the tutorial. that could be fixed by spawning it once you go inside the sandbox.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

CVs are also missing.

4. complete_

complete_ lamer

no they aren't??????

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

Well I loaded my thing and they weren't on the platform :x

6. CRITAWAKETS

CRITAWAKETS Member

The Tutorial crashes for me. :(

7. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

They aren't on the platform to prevent the CV voting menu from showing up, which would teleport the players into the cv if they voted themselves.
    They will spawn when you spawn in the barrack the next time. point_template style.

I'll see what I can do about the tutorial this week, I'll probably add a "You cannot move from this room unless you're engineer" with sound and whatnot at the start.

The reason the class menu pops up is because we no longer have lua support, so we can't forcespawn players as we could before.

8. Tama

This weekend, at a LANparty, 2 people did the tutorial. I saw a very frustrated scout at the bottom of the pit with the buildable bridge. Also, it was annoying that he could not build a heavy tank in the VF, and when he jumped in the heavy on the platform, the bottom right part of the HUD was missing, so he couldn't see ammo or weapon config.

9. LordDz_2

I'll see if I can poke at it tomorrow.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

only works for new players. you have to download the separate file or get a new install. i dont know where i got my tutorial map from.
    im almost sure there is a ladder to get back up.

the hud missing is a coding bug with emp_vehicle_spawner and emp_vehicle_preset

11. D.D.D. Destroyer

I can confirm that there is a ladder, at least on my version.

12. LordDz_2

The hud is missing because research is not fully researched. I'll set it be fully researched and they should show up.
    There is a ladder, I'll highlight it to make it more obvious.

13. complete_

complete_ lamer

you sure? theres the same issue on fogtown, and im sure i have it set to fully researched. ill go check now
    e: it seems you are right. fair warning though, it will upgrade the turrets in the turret room

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Another thing I'd like to have fixed on the map is the lighting. The cubemap is way too bright and the lighting in the building presentation hall is way too bright as well.

15. Tama

There was a ladder; the player was confused I think because he say a semi-opaque bridge and received instructions to build it that he couldn't follow; so he thought he'd just be able to walk across it.

Another issue I saw for both players (and experienced myself somewhat) is that the turrets are actually pretty hard to hit due to the height of the wall and how narrow the space for the turret is. Perhaps the space can be larger, and the turrets further from the perspex, allowing you to hit them without bouncing the grenade?

16. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I think that's part of the point, for you to get acquainted with how grenades throw in Empires.

17. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

In that case maybe a little explanatory graphic à la Portal might help.

18. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

When you realize that most vets still can't throw grenades accurately, you'd want this part of the tutorial to be a little more challenging.
    :cool:
    feat. Trickster
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015