Need a PC kek

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by BitterJesus, May 6, 2015.

1. BitterJesus

BitterJesus Member

Sup fools, I'm back (I know yo missed me)

Anyway I need a new PC since my old one literally performed as bad as Trickster does in bed (no homo).

I wanna spend like 600, but I can get up 750, budget isnt too constrained.

I also plan on getting VR (probably Oculus) so I hope the PC will be good enough to handle it.

I haven't been properly gaming in a while so I have no idea if VR goggles are even a thing now? Like are they popular or just a gimmick?

Anyone still play empires? Or who plays what nowadays so I can pwn you nubz like I always do.

Come at me fuccboiz

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Well first I have to ask are you gonna reuse anything from your old pc? Case, hardrive, dvd drive, psu, ram. It can all help to reduce costs getting you better components.

That said, you can get something pretty solid for 600, even better at 750$. I'll be back in a few with a build.

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

We're going to need some gains before we talk about anything else.

4. Lazybum

Hi again, so here's a couple of builds. I want to point out that I got both nvida and ati cards in the lists, you can easily swap them out if you want but just be sure you swap out the psu too. Especially with the amd builds if you want to overclock, the 550 watt psu I have I don't think will handle any overclocking from both the amd cpu and gpu. I do like it better though just because it's a gold rated one for cheap that's got good reviews.

First off is some stuff from amd, because it's just cheaper and amd still works just fine.

This build is a micro build, fits in a small case if you like that. Just don't attempt to overclock with it, even if you do get a better heat sink. The mobo won't like it at all and might fry, but for stock voltages it should be fine I think.
    Next one you can overclock with it if you want. It'll be fine.
    If you want an intel build, and a slighty better cpu, here's this. Can't overclock with it, not unless you spend like an extra 70$ for a k version and a heatsink.
    Costs about 100$ more, but you kinda already have the better gpus in the lists so extra money will be going towards better cpu. More ram and a ssd can be gotten too. Again if you reuse some older parts you can save money or put it towards other stuff if you want. I will say if you don't need a ton of room a 128 gb ssd can be gotten at that same 50$, or for 80$ you can grab a 256gb ssd. Bigger ssds tend to be faster and have a longer lifespan, so I'd spend the extra dosh if you can.

All these builds should perform reasonably well. I think they are enough for 1440p gaming, should be enough for a decent fps for vr stuff too. I will say looking at the vr a bit it seems that unless you spend around 1250$ or so it's hard to get a machine to do it at 60 fps, but this is really the best you can do at this budget I think. Others more informed then me can give you better advice.

5. CyberKiller

CyberKiller Nyooks!

6. ImSpartacus

Wow, I didn't know 290Xs are so cheap. They perform basically like 970s, but with more power.

7. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

I was looking into this; from the benchmarks on YT, the 970 gets a clear 10fps on the 290x iirc.

If I have £250/$350ish to spend on a new gpu, do I wait for the new AMD 3XXs?

8. Lazybum

Yes and no, it's certainly a good place to base builds off of, but it might not give the absolute best bang for your buck. It can't after all take into account any nice deals you may find. If you are looking for a certain form factor or don't care about all the bell and whistles of certain components you can save some cash too.

As far as I'm concerned the difference between the 970 and 290x is how much power you have on the psu to spare. Both have a similar performance level, some games do better with one card over the other too. Both can be overclocked a bit, I remember some saying it's not too hard to overclock a 970 to get close to a 980 performance wise for instance. Though that really probably depends on how good a cooler you got on the thing.

If your fine for now I think it's worth it to wait, mostly just so prices get lower at least. That said unless you are gaming at 4k or something silly those 300$ cards seem to max out everything currently. Ridiculous graphic settings aside.

9. ImSpartacus

The difference will vary heavily from game to game and even from graphic settings to graphic settings. For example, the 290x will generally do better at higher resolutions and that wouldn't matter if you're gaming at 1080p.

I wouldn't wait for the 300 series. The 380 series is rumored to be a rebranded Hawaii (290x/290). The 390 series will probably have new hbm instead of gddr5, but that doesn't guarantee that it'll be amazing. The latest rumors have suggested that it might not be amazing compared to the Titan X. Then again, the entire 390 series will be cheaper than the Titan X, so we'll see. Worst case scenario is that the "giant" chip that many of us have been getting hyped about could actually be a dual gpu card. That's no fun.

10. iMacmatician

iMacmatician Member

The 290X improves compared to the 970 as resolution increases. From TechPowerUp:

Code:
              1600x900  1920x1080  2560x1440  3840x2160
    290X/970  0.94      0.97       1.03       1.05
    Overall, they still perform close to each other though.

Regarding the 3xx series, the only new chips expected are Fiji at the top and Iceland at the bottom, so there shouldn't be any new chips in the $350 range. What I don't know is how the prices of 2xx parts will change as a result, but it seems that Fiji is positioned to slot above Hawaii, not replace it.

11. ImSpartacus

Yeah, Nvidia and amd have gotten pretty good at minimizing the sharp changes in perf/$ across time. I wouldn't be surprised if Hawaii doesn't change price, lol.

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

did you already buy it? i think i forgot all about this topic when i was banned and the other topic just made me remember this one.

i was gonna post that you can reuse the computer case and probably the power supply from your old computer in your new build. the 750w ps in lazybum's build seems too much anyways. it should give you an extra 100 to spend (or just account for canadian/american price difference)

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  13. Lazybum

I mentioned as much that saving money is possible by reusing pretty much anything from old computer. When building a new pc the big ones you have to get are cpu, mobo, gpu and possible ram if your system is older or you only had like 2 gigs, or psu if it's an old one. Older psus had more amps on the 5volt rail, but everything now uses the 12volt rail so you would have a bunch of problems even if it was 800 watt psu.

The 750 was for if he got the 290 and the fx6300. Both are pretty beefy power consumption wise. It helps that the 750 one was the one of the cheapest ones from a solid psu maker. I should mention while even it is a bit much psus tend to reach max power efficiency at something like 50% I think. I'd grab the 550 one I linked though due to being a good deal for a solid gold rated psu.

14. ImSpartacus

That 290x jumped by nearly $100. It was an incredible deal. :(