Empires on UE4: UE4 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i guess the real issue would be that theres no map big enough for air.
    no matter whatever empires map, it would only take you a few seconds to reach the enemies main base.

also source is built for indoors and limited, well confined, outdoor areas - even if you get scaling to work you run into a whole lot of different issues with the physics engine.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  2. Awpolt

Awpolt Member

As of right now, Empires is not fully utilizing Source's full potential, for obvious reasons. Lack of engine knowledge, game design (concept, vision and direction), personal time constraints, and so on. I can name a few mods that have been thoroughly polished over the years. Why? Because they are structured and have a unified vision.

You guys have this grand vision about what Empires 'could' be but your expectations are way over what reality is. There is no team. There is no project manager. There is no game designer. There are no dedicated, passionate and visionary artists that co-produce maps with the level designers. Let's face it, most maps do not accurately represent what Empires 'is'.

The community doesn't even respect itself. These forums are in a constant state of chaos. Why does the Off-Topic troll section get more attention than the actual critical important sections that would dramatically help in improving the state of this game?

Krenzo and his team gave us a masterpiece, and yet we fail to respect their work. If you all say that you are passionate about this game and genre, then dramatic changes would occur in favor of making massive improvements. You would go out of your way to see that this game advances and becomes ever so successful in today's gaming industry.

I want this game to be popular. I want to see a steady influx of new and returning players. I want to read about theorycrafting and design. I want to see that people are enjoying this game and genre. I want full servers. More and more could be said.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

So basically what you are saying is we need Trickster.

4. flasche

how many mods as complex as empires do you know? but i agree, after the bad failure 2.2 scripts were it only went downwards.

5. A-z-K

A-z-K Member

I don't think player piloted aircraft could ever improve this game.
    But there are loads of things in airspace that could be interesting - particularly for commanders to involve them more in the fight.

I know there is this point blank refusal for the commander to have any "powers" but I really think the commander should have some support abilities, look to NS2 and the little repair bots that can heal Exo's. Something needs to be done to bridge the gap between RTS & FPS and it is going to take something like that. I think Autonomous / Semi Autonomous AIs that the commander can control could potentially solve a lot of problems. Not that I imagine it is easy to implement but if I wanted one new killer feature it would be that & definitely not aircraft.

6. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

I agree with AzK. Don't waste energy on planes. You can't possibly do them justice. A transport for a specific purpose from location to location is a potential map concept, but not really an airplane.

Some ideas:
    Research for infantry. Remove grens mortar, rifleman's sticky, scout sticky, engineer's ammo box, make them research abilities. This will make the com decide if he would rather have a stronger infantry or tank match.

Add something in the com vehicle to keep him from being totally vulnerable. It shouldn't be something that could be used to encourage the com to attack, but could be used for defense. It could be something like an EMP pulse that is usable only once every five minutes. If used for attack then the com is vulnerable, it would only be effective against infantry in a certain range of the com. Or give com the scout enhanced senses when in the vehicle, regardless of the class he is. In the low number games, the com needs to remain engineer to help build.

7. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Isn't empires the only source game with the ability to have 64 players? Isn't the physics engine pretty much pushed to the limit? Empires has done quite a bit I feel in regards to the source engine.

I'm also the of the opinion that aircraft wouldn't really make the game any better, I can't think of a game where aircraft actually improved anything. Maybe a slow ass blimp that acts like a rax and can't fire back at anything might be cool, but that's about it.

Boats however would fit in perfectly and I would love to see them.

8. Deiform

Deiform Member

Codename: Eagle (the game by DICE before BF 1942) was the shit and that had a blimp AND planes.

9. flasche

i dont really get why noone wants to go down the warhammer/steampunk road for northern. everythings ought to be semi-realistic, so boring.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I don't think it can really be helped. They're drawing from what they know and there's far more realistic stuff to draw from. That and you have to be pretty creative to create a steampunk tank, and...well it's a tank, so not many people know where all the parts go to accurately model it to begin with.

So it's easier to just use realistic stuff. Kinda sad, but understandable.

11. flasche

just prefix your search with the term steampunk/warhammer40k ...

... or even dieselpunk (thats this alternative reality nazi stuff). whatever fantasy direction actually - i dont mean to make a wh40k game, just to "borrow" some styles - but if you want it real you better play some random AAA title since they can provide levels of details we will never even remotely be able to compete with. sure you first have to find a consistent style for a faction, while you could aswell just copycat real stuff, but a fantasy enviroment makes some things a lot easier aswell. you allway will have a certain resemblance to reality or we fail to suspend our disbelieve anyway, its just more options.
    noone would build a 20 story high concrete fortress anymore - its nonsensical. but it looks damn cool in a videogame.

also, my initial association i had when i saw northern was exaclty that - and i dont think im this far off with my judgement.

and i ask myself if it wouldnt be smarter to not try to compete with major brands but explore niches that are less mainstream even for gfx. even if its not new, it will still look fresh because its something different.

fallout and bioshock go into similar art directions and they aint multiplayer fps.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  12. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

One of the reasons I am not trying anything provocatively new here is because you get yelled at if you so much as just veer away a little bit from the already existing "art style". Look at what redskull did. His models are really decent, but just because it doesn't look like space ork tanks any more it's already bad.

To be completely honest with a new attempt I am thinking of all kinds of ways to go. One idea was something along the lines of Fallout, another as you mentioned would be dieselpunk. Hell I'd friggin' love to do something akin to Machine Game's style in the newest Wolfenstein. (Also I am a really big fan of Albert Speer's architecture. And no, that doesn't mean I like what the Nazi's did.) Steampunk also came to mind at one time or another. I was even thinking of alien races, but people seem to like the evil empire vs rebels theme.

13. flasche

oh fuck aliens :pathetic:

who said that? burn the heretic, i absolutely love redskulls 50s inspired style - its pretty much the direction i would favor :D

14. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I like it too, it's pretty much what Fallout was about. What I just didn't really like is that the medium looks like a car without armor and a turret plopped up on the top. It fits the jeep, not so much the tank.

I'd also love to see something in this direction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SdKfz_234

15. flasche

as inspiration totally.

because you said albert speer, i totally dig the monumentalist neoclassicist style of the early soviet architecture in the stalin era. but also the more modern buildings - an ode to megalomania :D

16. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

You would hate it to death if you had to look at it for more than a minute a day all year.

17. flasche

i dont mean plattenbau and battery farm-like, uniform sattelite towns - thats really ugly shit. but theres gold inbetween, ive been eastwards as far as bulgaria (not by plane).

but i can understand how i have very different connotations. usually those epic looking buildings were some ministries of evil.

18. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

See now that, is something that could really work. And it's a different type of vehicle too - longer, with a different kind of mobility and probably a more interesting play style.

Tbh, it's what the AFV should be.

19. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Id argue for some other model of turret seeing as Puma had quite a blaster for its type. as to make it more obvious it has less firepower than mediums. Perhaps also a reason to drop the other seats, seeing as even though they have incredible utility, noone cares
    Oh cut the crap, will you. None said they are bad.

20. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I just like nf's junk look, things slapped together to make a working tank. I don't care about realistic or not, but I wouldn't think it's nf it had a "new" feeling to it.