Empires 2.6.3 released

Discussion in 'News' started by Candles, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Trainzack

Trainzack Member

The key to making homing salvo good is ridiculous inaccuracy when initially firing. Something like 45 degrees. This won't affect killing tanks, but will affect killing buildings.

Of course, i haven't played in a while, so ./\O/\.

2. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Remember, the more feedback I get, the better changes I can do. I'm already planning on taking a look at 3-slot weapons, armor, vehicle MGs, the HMG and Heat to Target before the week is up.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. complete_

complete_ lamer

feedback: its dumb how nf has to predict where the heavy will be when they fire their super slow missles but be has to just aim their fast powerful rails

4. JustGoFly

JustGoFly Member

When comparing the NF dual homing to BE dual rails - each with the appropriate armor, NF has a bit of a buff since it is more accurate while moving. Rails has to aim, but can fire more rapidly. So head to head, close combat I think BE wins, but distance combat NF wins. A slight change is all that is needed. Maybe more heat, or slight time increase between reloads. Then test and see how it goes. Big changes will not enable you balance.

You would expect on one map for NF to have the advantage, and on a different map BE would have the advantage. So one map test is not enough to decide.

Palmbay, Desert Storm - should be NF probably
    Streets of Fire, Money - I would guess BE has the advantage

5. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

Armor... so fooking weak that APC = nearly useless. I mean... 2 RPG shots killed a regen apc. First shot took 3 front armor plates off and left me yellow? 2nd shot hit me on side with 2 plates and killed me.
    BioMG also nearly useless nothing you shoot it at gives a shit.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  6. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know how that happened, you sure you didn't touch a mine or something at the same time? Regen has 80 hp a plate, it soaks up quite a bit of damage. Actually I have to say it might want a slight nerf to hp, or increase in weight back to 18. I say this mostly because it's a straight upgrade to reactive which is a bit silly.

Actually you sure you had regen on and not plain? That sounds a lot like plain to be honest.

Considering it's a mg bio effect doesn't make much sense on bio mg. If the enemy team had regen the bio effect is nearly nullified so it seems really shit. On the plus side out of the mgs that can hurt vehicles it's probably the best against infantry, but it still takes up to like 15-20 seconds or something to actually kill infantry, you just don't have to constantly spray bullets at them to actually kill them.

7. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

I am fairly sure either he took plain armor, or he took other damage.

8. ViroMan

No other damage was received I watched that rpg come in and tried to avoid it. Of course I can't prove I took regen for sure but, I am fairly sure I had regen since we had regen for a while before I got that apc.

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Unless plain got nerfed for some reason, you wouldnt go yellow hull with 3 plates though

10. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

Exactly.
    Candles said that he nerfed the plain armor’s health a little bit.

Although I haven’t got the chance to start the game to check the new plain armor.
    With old plain armor you’d only lose armor plates.

11. ViroMan

would it matter if I corrected myself and said rpg not ml?

12. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

No. we assumed it’s RPG.

13. Lazybum

Plain is actually the way it used to be, 40 hp 15 weight. Though it has this new value on it.

"Heat Dissipation" "4"

I don't know what an engine parameter is doing on it. Does it even do anything? I wouldn't think so...

Anyways, you shouldn't go straight to yellow if you did have a full 3 plates of plain, so I don't know what happened. Maybe it was just a bad coincidence? Empires does have the occasional quirk.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

i think i commanded the game viroman is talking about. im pretty sure i heard from multiple people that regen was dying quickly and bio mg was not doing alot of damage

15. Lazybum

This was ballast right?

When I was using regen I thought it was working as expected, I simply didn't have to care about these light tanks shooting at me. When they came in with heavies with homing yeah I switched to reactive I think so I could fit a couple more plates on.

Bio mg not doing much doesn't surprise me though. No one researches it so it isn't surprising that people are surprised it sucks.

16. Sgt.Security

Sgt.Security Member

All vehicle MGs are surprisingly bad.
    It surprises me that people still research it.

17. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

:s

18. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

If regen is dying quick, the only thing I can see is that your team is shit. It's a flat 80 health, regens a full plate in 20 seconds (4 hps), with no special damage modifiers or resists. Unless you're fighting against salvo-homing or rails, in which case you'd die in any armor anyway.

Cannot reproduce, and the numbers don't line up. Even with plain armor, the numbers don't line up; with only two RPGs hitting different sides, maximum armor a tank can have is 1 plate on each side and still get destroyed. With regenerative, there's literally no way.

I'm most likely going to lower the weight on anti-tank MGs, possibly the heat too, and then damage to compensate. I'm considering decreasing the effects of falloff for the anti-tank MG's and increasing its effect for anti-infantry MG's except for .50 cal; I want .50 cal to always rape infantry. I'll be bringing absorbent more in line with other armors in terms of health; right now, it's so extreme that it's really risky to get and it's a hodgepodge of low health, high StoD and resists.

I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do with Salvo Homing. I'm already planning on increasing the weight to 100, so dual-homing salvo will cost you an extra 4 or so plates. I'm considering increasing the base lock on time to a full second and a half and the range modifier to 0.0005, so lock on times would range from 1.5 to 4 seconds (Right now they're from 0.4 to 2.4 seconds)

I'm going to test removing Heat to Target; all my experience in playing the game and talking to players is that it's a bitch to balance, it's boring as fuck to fight against, and it's just a bad mechanic in general. There are exactly 3 weapons that even have a HTT value greater than 1; most of them are 0.1 or 0 anyway. Inb4hate due to comm chases.

HMG is getting a slightly tighter spread; I'm also considering making it fire the half the speed with two bullets a shot; it suffers from running out of ammo too damn fast, so it'd fire the same number of bullets per second, but be able to fire twice as long (The HUD doesn't display more than 200 rounds in the ammo display).

I might do some more tweaking of engines, but there might already be enough to deal with for now. At the very least, there are some values that I put in wrong that I need to correct.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

falloff is high to limit sniping. dont think 1 apc, think 10. there was a version when DU was good, it was bad. its long ago, my memory might be wrong, but i think its because of that.
    the thing with vehicle mgs are that they are instant damage, there is no way to dodge it.

20. Lazybum

I want to say that fall off is a very minor factor when it comes to antitank mg. Damage doesn't take any partial numbers so damage is effectively damage-1. Minimum damage for the 3 things that have it, du/du hmg/bio mg, is minus 2 whatever their damage is. Point is currently fall off is pretty whatever, it doesn't really come into play much. HE mg and plasma don't even have falloff, though I consider he mg to be a hit scan std cannon.

If you make damage higher either by raw damage or cycle rate it'll annihilate tanks in close range though you'd have a better balance weapon when it comes to ranges. There isn't a good way to work around that.

I say just lowering weight like you said would probably be the best way. That way people won't instantly pass it over for mls or something instead.

Lowering falloff distance for infantry mgs sounds decent though, though I can't think of many times I was getting shot at at a distance greater than a rax.