Empires on UE4: UE4 is FREE edition

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kylegar, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

They are visual elements to skills (like Increased Accuracy would give your weapons Forward Grips).

2. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I know, but that's my point. The nf heavy rifle and the be heavy rifle is what I expect every one to use just like it is now, it's just the name of the nf weapons switched around.

I guess I can see why people like attachments, but personally I couldn't give a hoot about them. I guess it's nice to have the flexibility to make a bunch of weapons handle differently without actually making new weapon models, but sometimes I question how you can use certain attachments on certain weapons. It can look a bit silly at some point.

Edit: oh that's what you mean, I'm thinking it would be like bf. The idea of a more visual representation of perks you get is nice. Still, something might look silly on certain weapons.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  3. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Because
    1)the description is full of crap compared to what it does
    2) most weapons have only one that will do you any good
    3) half the sights obstruct more that they show. Coyote is just a plain upgrade.
    4)flashlights are uselessand laser only does anything for you if you go around hipfiring all the time

Also lol @ silencer being op
    This i can get behind, like getting an acog if you have accuracy upg, some model pouches with ammo or a longer barrel with damage upgrade (haha)

I gues i shouldve read this before writing all this stuff. Oh well.

4. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I see it as the best of both worlds. You keep the class level upgrades that Empires has but you also entice the 'BRO just put a forward grip on it' crowd.

5. Z100000M

Wouldnt grips affect animations though? If theres one thing ive learned over all these years is that noone ever wants more animation work.

6. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

if firewarrior gets IK to work it shouldnt. or who ever, he just said he played around with that.
    if i dont misunderstand the whole thing this means you "just" put transforms where the hands go (so you can just swap them out depending on attachment), let the physics simulation solve the arm joints and blend with the rest of the animation.
    theres a demo scene for ik stuff, watch it, its just a big ass download ^^

7. Z100000M

I can only begin to get hyped for glitchy hands spazzing all over the place if this gets to beta.

8. flasche

9. Z100000M

... I was joking.

10. flasche

told you i would be immune to that :)

11. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Empires was more of WW2 era Germany vs Russia set in the future, and it's pretty clear that Germany had the best missile tech.

12. Z100000M

Id say oblivious is more like.

Anyway, another thing i wanted to ask, you wanted to go the warsaw pact feel, but do you intend to keep naming as it is or have stuff sound more eastern? Right now nf has the eastern feel, but everything is english.

13. flasche

have you ever considered it could be that you dont exaggerate enough and what you consider satire often is just cynical and/or insulting?
    im fairly sure you could say similar things about me, if you search you probably find worse things either, its not the point though.
    anyway, this isnt the place for satire nor to argue about posting styles. lets try to keep this thread civilized and productive. at least this one.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  14. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

Don't take him seriously, he doesn't have filter so just tune out any dumb shit he says and just reflect it.
    That is what I do.

When everyone is in the same room and gets a chance.
    Use this.

I often use this when im brain storming for writing, it works best when people are there to bounce ideas off one another.
    Kind of like some of the sessions me and beer had, and a few I had with fire minus the white board.

15. flasche

you make a realy interesting point here - survivability.

(ill exaggerate) will you die the instant you do something stupid or will you just run and gun taking tens of hits, dodge rockets and jump explosions until you eventually die? including, but not only tanks.
    im well aware that no matter how the decision goes it wont end up on either extreme.

my personal preference would be a rather deadly shooter with information reduced to the neccessary minimum - on the infantry side empires does that quite well, though the cameras 3d indicators could be less precise. i wouldnt need them at all, they just turn players into mindless computes following squares and neglecting everything else. it takes away so much suspense.
    anyway, what i would expect from that is that more defined frontlines could build up leading to better distribution of players throughout the map. a major gripe i always had with empires is that you barely get this epic battles involving 5 tanks and 20 supports each side. people are spread out everywhere on the map because you can just drive a spawnpoint (or barn that shits nukes) wherever you please - and those epic moments i know is what makes us play this game, im sure it was one of those empires moments that made each single one of you be here today. well it least was for me, maybe i shouldnt conclude from that. and while yes, sometimes its just map design that makes it not work out, suff not dying just intensifies the issue.

id also advise to reconsider the ticket system (for RTS) and find a mechanic for killspawning that isnt suicidal.

16. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I kinda want to do away with tickets. I think I'm going to add a scoring system based on resources earned and a timelimit to deal with draws.

17. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I can tell you guys aren't messing around with the project because damage has been broken for 2 weeks and nobody said anything

18. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

That reminds me, who's currently working on this project? So far it seems to be Kylegar, Firewarrior, Deif, and I think Grantrithor. Zenarion sounds like he'll pop in eventually, but I don't think you have anybody mapping yet. Is this correct?

19. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

Right now it's only me. Firewarrior is interested but he wants some hard requirements for art.

Deif is around but he hasn't done anything for a few weeks. Same with Grant. Zenarion wants to help but he is currently moving.

20. Fricken Hamster

Fricken Hamster Mr. Super Serious

If I wanted to do something what should I do?
    Make some of these blueprints?