I has a AFV

Discussion in 'Art' started by dizzyone, Mar 12, 2009.

1. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

but it doesnt look bad in a sense that it would have been executed badly. its certainly nonsensical in details (tubes for air filters and the airfilters themself are slapped onto the outside, single hit and gone. the assymetry probably complicates stuff more then you gain anything from it, the lights are a weakness in armor and so on ...) and i fully agree with you that IRL noone ever would build such tank design as it has blatant weaknesses ...

... but it looks very unique, distinct and is well executed. im am inclined to believe that the majoritys reaction to this tank is going to be "wow" rather then "but this and that doesnt make sense". i know empires is full of cynics and smartasses, including myself, its probably old players who complain long before you find a newbie saying "this very tank kept me from playing, it breaks my immersion".

(another issue is that real modern armor does look quite bland in shape/silhouette, theres only this much difference since design strictly follows function and stuff sticking out the surface is bad to begin with. 99% of details, save for the turret, would be nuts, bolts, plates and weldseams baked to textures)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I don't debate redskulls' proficiency as an artist. He is good and he did a great job. He even took the time to get to know how to get a vehicle model into the engine. (Which I as of yet couldn't be bothered to do.)
    What I debate is the design of the model in the first place. (Which you also already stated, I just wanted to make it clear.) I do believe, that you can add plenty of detail on a model and still have it make sense.

I just really think that the base design thought of the AFV is a lot more fitting to what I see in Empires rather than the new med tank. That tank would be a lot better fitting in pre-apocalyptic Fallout.

3. Redskull

Redskull Member

The way I see it is neither NF nor BE has a very defined art-style, which gives artists alot of creative freedom. Whether it "makes sense" or not is up to each individual, I just took my impressions of NF and changed it into something that I think looks much cooler.

4. 101010

101010 Member

Wasn't talking about size. More of detail and textures.
    Good example Compare Redskull's tank to any of the normal Empires tanks.
    Redskull's is great. But it's going to make all the flaws in the Empires models kind of stand out.
    // Thank you Redskull your tank is looking amazing.

Now with the afv if it was switched to the afv_scorpian. It would be great because then there is no confusion about is it a APC or AFV. But like I said when you add new models and new textures it will make the flaws in the older models stand out more.

Example of bad model - There is nothing holding the wheels on the NF CV. They just kind of float under it.

Maybe at least consider a re-texture of all models (Vehicles and buildings)
    To kind of give Empires a smoother look.

Also what modeling programs are people using ?
    I would help out with some modeling but source plugins are not compatible with new Maya 64bit and I hate having to take models threw 3 programs just to get them to load.

5. zenarion

zenarion Member

Maybe actual art direction from an actual art director. But hey, that means "remake everything".

This brings us to the topic of "Empires 2" on a new engine.

6. 101010

101010 Member

We have that..
    Empires 2.6.2
    And we are on a new engine - source "2013"

7. flasche

sorry we are not allowed to comment :P

8. zenarion

zenarion Member

Ok you win, you trolled me. :sick:

9. flasche

neither of those avfs in the OP fit NF in any shape or form, while redskulls med fits the light tank "like a fist on an eye" taking the freedom of directly translating from german. (in case its not obvious for everyone, it means perfect)
    but ofc dizzyones fits brenodi - except for the middle one, it looks too much like those ugly mercedes for my taste and, more important, a tad too futuristic.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  10. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

You do realize that all those picks of AFVs are all the same model, just in different stages of development, right? They are not different tanks.
    And what I meant is not the AFV fitting anything in NF. I meant it fits BE better than redskull's tank fits NF. But that's just me looking at the current models. I mean it's just the art direction I already see in the game.
    And since when is that new model for the light? I thought it was meant as a substitute for the med.

Anyway that's my rant over.
    TLDR: I like the technical work redskull did, I just don't like the aesthetic of it.

And Zenarion is right: What we need is someone actually coming up with art directions for the teams. By now it's pretty much decided that we will take redskull's tank, so that's that for NF. Every other new model for NF will now basically have to follow that style or it will look really weird. With that established, I'd really like to dedicate myself to finding something for BE, once I am done with a small contest I am partaking in on polycount, which is still running for this month. I already did some digging and found some nice inspiration for future models.

11. flasche

no they aint and i meant the shape of redskulls medium tank fits the NF light tank - at least way better then the "mark v"-ish tanks we have atm - not that it would replace it. the lt is the most awesome tank in empires, all you could do without upsetting a lot of players is recreating it at a higher level of detail. why did planet empires people think it would be smart to design tanks like 50s cars? dont ask me, its a fictional world.

"mercedes" tank, even though the grill looks like BMW it reminds me on a slk (i think - im not so good with cars)
    it was/is considered too high tech for an afv, the leopard tank has too many fans and our heavy looks heavier and also has many fans - so, what to replace?
    [​IMG]
    also similar sanity argument for some details that aint even detailed enough to tell what its supposed to be.
    could it be a tank in a fictional game like empires though? my answer would be yes, deffinately, if finished i can imagine it to look really cool (except for the mercedes part but thats my personal taste)
    could it even fit brenodi? maybe, but the above reasons speak against it.

the more serious suggested avf replacement - its a scorpion base like trickster pointed out. its real, so sanity is only defined by if there is a more modern, better applicable design available. its an easy way out though - it exists.
    [​IMG]
    does it fit brenodi? ofc they already have a real tank and the heavy is not that far off from real either (even though dual cannons are not very sane from a rl perspective, they just look awesome and imply a lot of firepower)
    the turret on the most advanced version is really nice though. has a bit of merkava flavor to me.

you we argue about taste - even though i talk much and say little, thats what im on about the whole time.

but in a way i agree, the blockyness and lack of detail of tank2 does fit empires better then redskulls tank. :P

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  12. Dubee

Dubee Grapehead

I will mowtar ur apc

13. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

If the recent resurgence of mortar haters will stay, no you wont.

Also hey

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Tbh, it's a Tron tank.

15. flasche

its just the wireframe though

[​IMG]

16. Z100000M

Whats that cannon attached to? Is that round this in the back the turret?

17. flasche

never seen original tron? get off the internet and infront your tv immediatly ^^

but to answer your question, yes, it is ...

[youtube]PQwKV7lCzEI[/youtube]
    starts at about 0:15

18. Z100000M

Only watched the sequel, but thanks for reminding me, im watching alot of old movies now.