tutorial and quickstart guide

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by complete_, Feb 18, 2015.

1. complete_

complete_ lamer

first off, quickstart guide is still broken. im sure it can be fixed easily

emp_tutorial is in better shape, but it still has a few problems:
    -no link to it in main menu
    -having to choose your class and join a squad when launching the map (it used to just spawn you. it covers choosing class afterward, aswell)
    -missing audio cues

and to be nitpicky, the sandbox doesnt look that great. the snow texture on the ground and especially the cliffs is not that great looking, and it isn't snowing either. apcs are also not spawned

e: also are you guys sure theres no way to fix the bug with .cfg files not being updated through steampipe/works?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  2. 101010

101010 Member

With the map all they had to do was change the name.
    emp_tutorial to something like emp_tutorial_v2.62
    (New name = new cfg file)

3. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

There certainly are ways to fix the issue with the cfg file, but it wasn't deemed a priority at that time. The tutorial is most useful to new players and it oughta work well for them. Any outstanding issues will probably be addressed at a later date.

4. LordDz_2

LordDz_2 Strange things happens here

I gave you a link to it in steamchat. Commit it naow!

Yes I'm fully aware that there is no autospawn on the map, it's because before we had lua support which allowed us to select a class for people and forcespawning them.
    Candles said he was looking into making a select class code just for emp_tutorial, but I guess he's pretty busy doing other stuff.

Apcs should spawn if you press the button next to them, but they will not spawn at the start of the game as there is a trigger_teleport next to the first spawn point that teleports the player to tutorial part, if they spawn at mapstart, they would allow people to spawn in the apcs and not be teleported to the tutorial area as you can't teleport people who are inside a vehicle.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  5. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

101010 literally posted the solution, it could've been priority 999999 but it's still the easiest fix.

6. complete_

complete_ lamer

makes sense. i guess all that is left to do is put a link to it in the main menu

oh and theres some missing audio cues for "changing to engineer with grenades to kill turrets" and those building descriptions in the area before the sandbox. im almost sure keef did record those

7. LordDz_2

Fixed the .cfg issue by renaming everything to emp_tutorial_2015.
    The link to the menu should come up next patch.

8. wealthysoup

wealthysoup Lead Tester

I believe that cfg files can be force updated for players with current installs.

If I remember right I did it quite a while ago (2.5?) when updating the default keybinds for new players so that old players wouldn't give them incorrect information.

By defualt though cfg files for people with current installs won't be overwritten (but the newest version will be downloaded when a new player downloads the game)

9. complete_

complete_ lamer

please fix the quick start guide. its been broken forever

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

ok, now you can mark this as closed. (quick start is fixed and the tutorial thing is more of a suggestion and the force spawn was only possible with lua, i believe)

11. LordDz_2

Yeah forcespawn only works if you select the class for someone and I don't think it works with just .cfg files? (Please correct me, I want to be wrong).

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Either way, the tutorial still needs fixing as you have to select your class before being spawned in. If you select any class other than engineer, the beginning of it won't make too much sense.