Empires 2.6.1 Released

Discussion in 'News' started by ImSpartacus, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I do think regen is something that works better at low hp now. At least if you keep the regen high. I know 4 hp a sec doesn't sound like a lot, but tank fights last longer than infantry fights so regen has more use in tanking.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its bullshit, it was only possible to kill heavies if they where stupid enough to lurk around forever AND by timing my shot with another gren so that the rockets hit so close after eachother that there isnt enough time to regen.

at the end i was all alone in sof be main, and a guy in a heavy came while i was typing. he ran over almost all of my mines had no armor at a side, but before i could land a hit he had one plate again. i needed to hit him 4 more times to finish him off but only because he found another mine by someone else the second my rocket impacted.

i call bullshit²

theres something quite obviously not working out in the calculation.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  3. Lazybum

Nf heavy tanks have 500 hull health. I tried shooting at a heavy tank, one with regen and one with compo just to check, but they where taking the number of hits I expected it to. I will say that compo can reduce damage by up to 33% or something, so it might have mitigated the damage by quite a bit when you think how the tank has 500 hp.

I was going to say that this isn't exactly fine, but then I remember that heavy tanks are suppose to be slow and strong, so it kinda makes sense it can eat twice the damage as an apc. Still moving a little too fast for me, acceleration wise.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  4. flasche

it had no armor then suddently armor again then no armor then suddently armor again. this would have gone on forever if i couldnt hit when he drove over a mine and had no armor for a millisecond. well eventually i would have no rockets left or the guy manges to run me over.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  5. Lazybum

Damage bleeds through armor. I couldn't say if it's 100% or if armor somehow cuts out a part of that but I know most of the damage gets through.

Was the armor bar completely green or was it orange? Orange bar is about 15-20 hp I think, which is about how long I'd expect the reload and next rpg to hit him take.

6. flasche

oh yes, thanks for reminding me i wanted to rage about that aswell. earlier on my compo afv i was stupid enough to let the enemy take off all plates on a side and they just grew back. i never had to retreat - until i tapped w too much when running over scrat and ended down at the trains on nf side where you cant get up anymore (at least my engine didnt cut it) and killed myself.

dont you want tanks to retreat anymore? how are you supposed to gain ground again?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

8. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I haven't played much. Actually any apart from trying out those guns, but what it sounds like you're describing is regen from 0 armour (which I actually like the idea of) but without an actual deadzone in the timing.

You can't just have it all regen at the same speed. There has to be like half a minute or so penalty when you get down to hull. At least that much. If you don't have that, I now see why people have been complaining about it recently.

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I have added a 5 second delay per side before regen kicks in if you lose all the armor from that side. I may kick it up to 10 seconds, even possibly 15 seconds as I see fit, but I highly doubt that'd I'd go past that.

10. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

You're right, my half minute was a bit long.

It takes about 3-4 seconds to reload the rpg. Might take a second or two to load or more to guide to a distant enemy.

At this point you need to think about what you want a lack of armour to do to a player in a tank. Do you want them to disregard it, back off, or rotate? If you have a 5 second penalty it's easy to disregard, if you have a 30 second penalty the enemy will likely retreat. If you have something in between that the enemy will rotate.

If you key the penalty to how damaged the tank hull is - e.g. from 10 seconds at green, to 15 at yellow and 20-25 at red, you'd get a more interesting dynamic again. Assuming it's possible to actually do that.

11. Candles

I don't want to have to force players to retreat; that encourages stalemating. But I certainly can sympathize with the pain of being a grenadier and it just being absolutely hopeless fighting against a heavy tank.

In my view, a highly skilled gren should be able to beat an unskilled driver, and I definitely defer to the FPS part of Empires in this case. One player should be able to beat another if the first one has the tools and vastly outskills the second. If a gren is really at the top of their game, 5 seconds is actually long enough if they use the mortar. Because it's per side, 10 seconds might be better, I'm open to that. But if you go past that, to 15 seconds or higher, then when you rotate your plates, you're not really going to have time for that side to regen, forcing a tank to retreat. I almost considered making it so that regen delay would be independent of the side and health and just trigger on the entire tank whenever it got hit, but I quickly realized that even a delay as long as 1 second would just cause players to retreat rather than rotate as much.

12. flasche

but forcing the player to retreat is all you can do out of a defensive situation. do you really expect a team to annihilate the enemy who managed to push them into this situation?)

13. Candles

I'm not talking about situations like one side being trapped in main in SoF or Cyclopean, but like when you have a tank fight happening in S-bend on Slaughtered. If you're trapped in main, no amount of tinkering with regen is going to save you.