Personal CommandView

Discussion in 'Under Consideration' started by Tama, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Tama

Tama Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Imagine you're out in the field, and you absolutely need an armoury/barracks placed just right. Press F2 and you're hovering over your own position in a commandview. You click the building, place it where you want it, press "request" and all your commander has to do is "accept". The commander has a scrollable pane in the view that shows each request with: accept, decline, costs. Double-clicking that zooms to the position of the requested building.

No more "hey comm, can I get this ref already?" >"Oh, he has his sound off, you have to textchat him" or >"He's a noob, don't bother trying". We need to make comming easier, so that more people will be able to command. Otherwise, low population games will often encounter the problem of having just one decent commander in the group, which leads to one-sided games and people leaving.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

its on of the suggestions that are reliant on the new gui framework. its one of many trying to improve the comm player interaction and i hope not forgotten since the last time this was brought up is years back

3. complete_

complete_ lamer

pressing f2 changes your player model. you would disappear if you press f2 as an infantry

4. Tama

Is that a useful feature for customizing your look? Is this something that is used? I think the solution will be to move that keybinding, as I'm sure commandview is used more often than changing your model, and it needs to be the same key as infantry and as commander.

Another motivation for this suggestion is also that infantry will already get used to the interface a bit, so that they won't feel quite so lost when they start commanding.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I think he means part of going into command view changes your player model, so it isn't some optional component. It's just how command view works.

I would think it's possible to make it so if your on the ground your player model just shifts to looking at some laptop or something, but I have no idea how horribly entangled everything is code wise so you could be asking for something incredibly hard. A lot of suggestions in the past ended up like that in some way.

6. Tama

The reasoning is that the bottleneck on Empires' popularity is the difficulty of commanding. Only having to click "okay" would mean less effort for the commander. Also, infantry on the ground are often better equipped to know how exactly a turret should be placed. It cuts both ways, since the PCV would allow non-commanders to get used to the interface, and also allows a natural way for everyone to become familiar with the research tree; currently you have to look for it on the wiki outside the game or start your own server if you want to read it without people haranging you for doing nothing in the cv.

7. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

wow what did i read when i replied the first time? dafuq ... well at least the gui stuff isnt completely worng ^^

itd be a great feature indeed.

8. Tama

Just wanted to add that this could be another way to spend your wages; stuck somewhere? No problem! Place your own armory.

9. Xyaminou

Xyaminou Member

No, just no.