Redesigning the Empires art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Redskull, Aug 15, 2014.

1. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Yes definitely, but I'd recommend only using them as masks in that case, not as a simple overlay.

2. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

not overlay, multiplication!

the diffuse texture is also just reflected light. if something is red, it means it reflects wavelength out of the red spectrum. brightness is a measurement of how much light is reflected - diffuse means that light is reflected in a completely unpredictable random fashion (no 2 rays are parallel).
    thats what the AO map does - its the shadows of this diffuse lighting. if you multiply by a b/w texture the outcome is a change in brightness. you dont need to do diff*AO, you can also do diff*0.5*AO - as much as seem fitting to you, its something you have to eyeball anyway ...

... but in general. that my opinion at least, exaggerated features often look a lot better in cgi.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Overlay or multiply just two different ways of layer combination in GIMP or Photoshop. And yes, usually you use multiply. But please NEVER just simply multiply a 100% AO with a diffuse. And only do that if you do not have a separate AO input for your shader.
    Source actually has one, I found out recently, but it's mostly only used for eyeballs and faces. But you could try it out for whole models, I am just not sure how costly it is.

For a non physical based shader multiplying the AO with the diffuse really is the closest you can get without a dedicated input.
    But as soon as you use PBR, there is a huge difference between a diffuse and a albedo/base color texture and a separate AO.

The problem you will get with multiplying an AO map with a diffuse is, that those shadows won't react to dynamic light at all and will look pretty weird in certain lighting conditions.

4. Redskull

Redskull Member

I finally have a bit of progress to show, don't have internet at my new apartment quite yet so I'm uploading this at my dad's place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So this is just kind of a first pass at the textures, they don't even have specular or gloss maps yet and the scene lights are kinda screwed up. Other that that though I think it's coming along pretty nicely, still need to make the tank treads but that won't take long.

5. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The sexy is strong with this one.

[​IMG]

6. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

There are some things on this I don't really like. The pre baked AO is way too strong and therefore the whole texture is really dark and static shadow are really dominant. Also some elements seem to be darker on the right side. (front light, rear bumper, the chain link on the front bumper)
    The turret ring also seems to be missing.

Apart from that, I really like the red in the texture. That color looks a lot better for NF than the light salmon red we have right now.

7. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

This is looking incredible. I'm sure you've got a lot more you want to do but it's coming along really nicely. And I'll reiterate Firewarrior's point regarding the colour, this kind of red is a lot nicer than the salmon-red we have at the moment. It's a shame that it'll stick out from the other models, but there's not a great deal we can do about that if we want to actually progress the art style.

8. Redskull

Redskull Member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Regarding some elements being lighter on one side, that's just due to the position of a light in the scene. There is a turret ring but it's not visible since the turret is so tight to the body, but I might be able to scale it up a bit.
    I will hopefully have internet by the end of next week and post the finished product by then!

9. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

Barrels in the back make it look like a russian style MAA

10. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

words cant express how impressed I am with the progress. It is a bit... dark though.

11. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

If this was big, I'd be scared it was a demolisher tank.

Either way, it's awesome :)

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

it looks insanely sick. i dont give a damn if the color is different than the others because this looks better and is probably more fun to drive than the old one

although i do prefer the usual nf color scheme of orange rust/white

@trickster: you can still modernize the look while changing the old textures. look at the nf apc for example

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  13. Redskull

Redskull Member

Well!

I finally have internet so I can keep you guys updated more often, the lights in the scene are kinda messed up, but at least it has tracks now.

[​IMG]

14. ImSpartacus

That's pretty hot. I like the asymmetry of the turret.

15. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Can you post an unlit shot?

16. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

I don't know why, but I keep wondering if that tube on the side will bounce around as you drive. I know jiggle bones are a thing since the orangebox, but I don't think anything in empires uses them.

In any case it's great.

17. ImSpartacus

That would be incredible.

18. Redskull

Redskull Member

The BE heavy does have jigglebones on the antennas but that's the only model I think. Unfortunately the tube isn't "whole", as in, I've removed all pieces of it's geometry that isn't visible in order to maximize texture space and minimize the polycount. Something to keep in mind for future models, though!

fire: I'm not sure what you mean by unlit shot, it just makes it darker.

19. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

he means only the diffuse pass

20. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

... add jiggles to the two chains in the front... DO IT!