Audiophile

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Space_Oddity, Aug 24, 2014.

?

Whatcha use?

1. Ear buds.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Gaming Headset.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Full sized, closed.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Full sized, open.

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Portable.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

I'm surprised that something with Gamer in its name actually delivers quality.

2. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

Well it's one of the earlier headsets, it came out before all this 20 SPEAKERS ALL IN YOUR EARS TO DELIVER PERFECT POSITIONING AND GIVE YOU THE ADVANTAGE shit. It's just a good quality stereo headset with a good quality mic, which does exactly what it says on the tin.

3. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I switched from that to a creative gaming headset, it has better sound quality.

4. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

that sentence is confusing ^^ :rolleyes:

5. D.D.D. Destroyer

From fatality to a creativ headset whose name I can't remember and it's not anywhere on the headset itself as far as I can tell.

6. -Mayama-

-Mayama- MANLY MAN BITCH

Those statements here that some 50 euro headphones sound as good as more expensive ones really irritate me. I know sound is subjective but I never personaly experienced a headphone of the low price range (50€) that sounds as good as a mid price range (150€) headphone. Ofcourse I assume that we talk about decent brands and not crappy consumer stuff with boosted bass which lures people into believing that they sound better than they are.

7. Jephir

Jephir ALL GLORY TO THE JEPHIR

[​IMG]

8. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Fatal1ty as in the Quake player? I never knew he had his name on headsets, only on those NUTS OF DESTRUCTION.

The confusing part was "it has better sound quality". Which one is "it", Fatal1ty or Creative?

9. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Surely we can do a thorough analysis of this sentence to remove the ambiguity of the pronoun "it". Out goal will be to define the antecedent that is referenced by the pronoun.

The first clue we have is the word "it" itself. It is common practice in the English language for all pronouns to refer to the most recent antecedent, when ambiguous. It is likely that "it", therefore, refers to the "creative gaming headset".

Our next clue relies on the tenses. He "switched" to a new headset, which means he currently is using it, and then says it "has" better quality. "it has" then refers to a property in the present tense, which "switched" implies belongs to what is currently in use. So from the tenses, "it" could refer to the "creative gaming headset".

Finally, we rely on some psychology to help build this deconstruction. If he were to say that the Fatal1ty headset was better, then it seems reasonable that he would, in turn, mention switching back to that headset. The lack of such a statement holds no ground on its own, but provides support to the idea that "it" refers to the "creative gaming headset".

Therefore, I postulate that "it" is in reference to the "creative gaming headset".

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

This is one of many reasons why we need Candles.

11. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

[​IMG]

12. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

Except, though it has been confirmed now that triple D was talking about Creative Gaming when referencing "it", it is still valid to say "Fatal1ty has better audio quality than Creative Gaming" even if one does not own the Fatal1ty headset before since the quality is attributed to all Fatal1ty headsets and not just the one, which is the discussion. If the discussion was solely about DDD's Fatal1ty headset, then had would be a correct term since it's a personal object that one used to own, but since the discussion was about all Fatal1ty headsets, whose quality is constant, and will never at any point sound better or worse than they already do in comparison to Creative Gaming headsets, then it is in fact still incredibly ambiguous when using "has". In my interpretation, the use of has is neutral and does not favour one or the other argument, so that's all I'm discrediting. The argument on "it" I will agree on.

13. Space_Oddity

Space_Oddity The Shitstorm

Shut the fuck up or talk about headphones.

14. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

But it's clear that D.D.D Destroyer is referring to a specific Fatal1ty headset that he had owned in the past. He did not switch from {the set of all Fatal1ty headsets} to a single Creative Gaming headset; he switched from a single Fatal1ty headset. The discussion was about Fatal1ty headsets in general, but his specific post was about a single headset that he had previously used.

15. w00kie

w00kie Mustachioed Mexican

I can't find the word "it" on the box.
    The only thing resembling "it" is "1T".

[​IMG]

16. Space_Oddity

I bought some Audio Technica headphones because payday and now I'm disgusted with the quality of my music library.

17. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Which ones? I have a set of the m50s, so much bass that highs and mids sound really muted. Cutting the bass with the equalizer helps that a lot though.

Great value for the 100$ though.

18. Space_Oddity

ATH-TAD400. Pretty much the same model but open backed. The lows aren't so boomy because of the open back but the highs are super crispy, yeah.

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

I've been listening to youtube forever because im too lazy to fix some of my songs.

20. Space_Oddity

File compression isn't the main problem on YT, it's the actual audio compression they force on every video.