Infantry Building

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Ikalx, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I had a strange idea and thought I might share it for discussion.

The idea is to have a large building with a slightly complicated interior, designed for infantry to traverse. It would be resistant to vehicle weapons and the main method of destroying it would be by infantry deconstruction. Or alternatively, if it could break in sections under vehicle fire instead of having one uniform health, that would be awesome.

The idea of this building is to create a small arena where infantry can fight and pass without too much vehicle interruption.

It would look like a sort of large bunker. Similar to the fare we have in many infantry maps - or actually closer to the very middle part of crossroads (though just one level). It would have maybe an outer and inner wall, a couple of broken divisions inside, and that's about it. Or maybe a lot of crates instead, so it might look like a bit like a warehouse. But nothing too complicated so people can't get lost in there. It's supposed to be go in to get past, just under cover.

The actual building wouldn't cost a great deal, and wouldn't impart any other benefit to the team. In purpose it'd be like a slightly complicated wall structure - just of aid to the people nearby.

The idea is to have a building that can provide cover. Let's face it, some maps are wide open, with no cover for infantry or anything else. Putting down a 36 length wall would waste valuable time, and often isn't worth the effort. The idea of this building is to effectively create an area for infantry without having to wall everything off. In an open plain, a commander could place one of these close to an objective, and effectively shelter them while they take it.

I want to stress that the enemy should be able to use it too, though. It should be easy for both teams - as infantry - to use, and provide protection for both.

I know there seem to be a few flaws with this, so I just want to have a little discussion about it. Whether it would be useful or not. It's a bit similar to the bunker idea, but instead of being a fortified defence for one team, it's useful for both and designed primarily as a passage covering you from A to B.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

I dig the idea of a comm-placed bunker type of structure, with or without the quirks you presented. It would cost a couple hundred resources for sure though.

3. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

I would love to see something like that cover a spawn flag on a map.

4. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I still think armories with no roofs and mounted HMGs would be hawt as fuck.

How do you become turrent? You build a mega armory and saddle up.

5. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

wait, you meant this as a com dropped building? Exactly how do you imagine it being usable by the enemy?

6. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

They enter the door on the one side, there the enemy is now using it.

7. Z100000M

And then the com recycles the whole thing and they drop half a meter from air right into plain view of everyone

8. D.D.D. Destroyer

....yes. How is it wrong?

9. Z100000M

"...."

You cant claim to have a building thats a doublesided edge if the enemy can just jesus it out of existence if you try to use it yourself.

10. ViroMan

I am sure its possible for the commander to drop a multi-sectional building that can be used by both teams with a tiny amount of codding. Think the two towers that can be built/captured on that one map.(coast?)

11. ImSpartacus

I think you're talking about Slaughtered.

I rarely use those, but I think they are flags once built and capturing the flag is how each team can get ammo and stuff in there. I don't know if it'd be easy to put capturable flags in an empires building and then transition the "ownership" from team to team as the flag gets captured and recaptured.

12. D.D.D. Destroyer

This seems unnecessarily complicated.

13. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

The whole "them using it" doesn't really apply because it's not a fort/bunker. It's just shelter moving for moving from one place to another, or outside of an objective point. The team that places it will typically not have a vehicle presence in the area, while the enemy would do - of it'd be fairly pointless.

If the enemy has no vehicle advantage, the troops would just walk in and then infantry combat would commence. No great bonuses for the defenders, just shelter from vehicular attack.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

im pretty sure underground bunkers were originally part of the design document (i remember reading something like it on the old website)

i would say think of the infantry tunnels on king, albeit i would prefer it a little bigger

15. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Good idea. That would be more along the lines maybe.

16. ImSpartacus

But you'd have to "carve" out the ground somehow. Is that easy in Source for a building to do?

17. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

18. ViroMan

answer is no. You can't carve a map after its running.

You CAN create little tunnels under the map after the fact but, the tunnel exit/entrance have to use teleporters and you can't see through the exit/entrance.

Another thing that can be done is Fill the ENTIRE lower level with blocks that can be deconed to create user made tunnels. <-- although I think you would run into entity or brush max.. duno which.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  19. ImSpartacus

Mmmm, didn't think of teleporters. I was wondering how you'd reliably get through the map.

It's still an unreasonable idea, but it's neat to think that it might be possible in a hacky way.

20. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I haven't paid King enough. I just think of random corridors, if I'm honest.

Nope, not helping my suggestion at all. Maybe if we could have roofed walls that would be cool.