Star Citizen: Organization!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =PVCS) Cpatton, Dec 30, 2014.

1. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

We don't know quite yet. Supposedly, should be very affordable, but they may use it as a form of revenue for the game, so who knows. It's certainly extremely cheap so far in real currency.

So based on conversation so far, I think it's important to point out that Star Citizen has a reputation trait. So you get good reputation for destroying bad ships and people, and you get a bad reputation for destroying innocent ships, stealing, taking over space stations etc. So there are strong ethics mechanics in game.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  2. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Inb4 most crews are actually dicks

3. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

Yes. It is.

The thing about Empires players is that most of you can be decent when you want to be. Most of you are destined, in real life, to go on to go good things, earn lots of money, accrue power even. Because none of you are dumb, most of you are quite intelligent, are highly educated, think in interesting ways, and are skilled.

But it's the way of the world right now to reward corruption, indecency, rudeness. So that's what gets adopted, especially with the anonymity of the online world.

The thing that really gets at me about the Empires community is that most of you are going to be pretty useful, even important, in the world. And yet what's displayed is that you will bow to pressure, you will adopt the negative side of this world, you will ultimately show that if given the chance you won't fail, but you'll fall.

And I'm not talking about banter and fun stuff like that. Testing 1.08 was full of fun feuds and drama and a lot of that was fine. Calling someone a cock and vowing to get them back is not being mean or spiteful, in fact it's more like camaraderie. But this other stuff, the yelling and screaming and constant swearing at people and telling them to die, and it's not like Empires is the worst. It's everywhere, and it's in your guys generation the most.

And the thing that gets me is that most if not all of you guys could be awesome.

With a little change in mindset, a small push, a bit more strength to not bow to this pressure, you could all just be the guys who go out and change this world. For the better, though, not for the worse. Not ultimately being sucked into the world of shit, or pressured into corruption, but instead standing tall. Through innovation, tech, art, thought, or just hard work, you could make the difference.

And the thing is, I'm sure you will. You will all be great. But when push comes to shove, you'll let yourself just be shoved and fade into that background as long as you get your gold and your rewards. As long as you feed your greed and are sated. You'll choose the low road, because you can. Because it rewards.

But this world isn't getting better. I'm not some old dude just doomsaying because I'm old and out of touch. It literally isn't getting better. It needs help, and you are the most suited people to help it. You don't even have to give up anything, you can get girls (or guys), fame, power, riches, everything you always wanted, and you can do it without stepping on anyone.

And I'm not saying this just because it kills me to see that. I'm not just going "oh but your potential blah blah". That's shit.

But when someone asks me why I don't think they're credible, or reliable, or trustworthy, that has to be my answer. It's because ultimately, you guys won't choose good if given the chance. Not even "good" or "bad", you guys will be harmful because that's all you feel like manifesting. And I'm sorry, but I think you're fucking better than that. So if you choose that route, I've got to believe it's by choice, not circumstance.

I know, I know. I'm always going on about how crap the community is. But that's not the fucking truth. When so many people who I've played together with like brothers suddenly choose to be a bunch of trolls and downright harmful fuckheads, the truth is I've got to believe that you are all bastards. Because believing you're shit and sometimes do great things is easier than knowing you're amazing but choose to be shit all the time.

And no one in this fucking community calls anyone on it. No one just fucking stands up and says no more of this shit. No one has enough authority to just say "let's cut all this shit out and get back to the best game that we've all ever played", because all of you have given that up.

That's the saddest fucking thing of all.

4. D.D.D. Destroyer

There is one person* for in-game matters, and that is Vicki, but she is just too nice (loving?) to allow serious punishments when people break the rules. I don't mean it as a diss or anything, just an observation.

For the forums it'd be Krenzo or Beerdude, but the former is far out of the loop (and has almost completely moved on to greener pastures) and the latter is too busy for dis shit.

*EPIC server is basically an autocracy already, but it's kept somewhat similar to VIPER

5. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well outside of the art forum, I can't do anything. So I'm not even bothering to open my mouth, because without actual punishment, people won't listen to you anyway.

6. D.D.D. Destroyer

What exactly does that 35 USD pack give me in terms of game hours? How much game time can I get for it?

7. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Full game time, you get a ship. You are buying the ship, and 3 months of insurance.

8. McGyver

McGyver Experimental Pedagogue

Ok, but without insurance if I loose a ship in combat it's totally gone? What's the difference between this and Eve? I guess it will be more arcadey in combat?

9. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

it's super hi-def in combat, um, watch any of the videos I linked in the OP? It's very different, there is a pilot level fidelity, boarding of ships, actual FPS combat, etc.

The insurance has been super cheap so far, I expect it will stay that way. So I don't expect it to be like Eve which has a $15 a month subscription fee or something.

10. D.D.D. Destroyer

I meant more like, how much is there to do before you've explored everything there is to offer. I am aware this arena mode thing also has a lot of livelihood since it's multiplayer.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Procedurally generated Universe, so no idea.

12. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

well, right now there is the Arena Commander module.

Then in 2 months the FPS module, which I assume will be somewhat like Counter Strike, but in space, and able to switch gravity on and off for ZeroG combat.

Then they will release the whole universe, which has something like 70 systems and growing.

The beta will be fully live then. then you get to play for however long you want until the end of Beta. I don't think the insurance timer starts until the Beta ends in 2016, so then you have 3 months after that.

Also, there is no wipe after the beta. Some time during the beta they will do a wipe, but then you keep whatever you get after that.

13. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

Fuck man. Depressing and true.

14. Ikalx

Ikalx Member

I wouldn't say it if I didn't think you guys were capable of rising above it. Don't settle for less. Be gods instead.

On a Star Citizen note, I was thinking if someone did invest in something insane like a Constellation class, it'd be a good idea to run with a couple of Hornets as guards. Since, well, that would be an awesome configuration.

Hornet love: http://vimeo.com/77480949 Folding wings! *drool*

I did think it'd be cool running with a Herald or something like that. Simply for the chase, 'cos you know you'd be targeted and be carrying some pretty expensive information. Escaping from a bandit crew would be awesome in that little thing.

15. D.D.D. Destroyer

This somehow hyped me up more than the inspirational talk.

16. ukgamer

ukgamer more like noob gamer

*cough*

17. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

So according to this, rkb won't randomly ban people from teamspeak, thor won't constantly peer pressure others, the environment wont be hostile and uncomfortable, and people are not demanded to be on teamspeak 24/7. Or did I get that completely wrong, because from what I remember you, mel and John were the only decent human beings I met in BSID.

Everyone else was a complete asshole and hated it when I was an asshole back to them.
    Especially RKB because he just banned me every-time I made him look like a idiot when he instigated bullshit.

I remember there was a situation where I stopped being coming on to teamspeak, and apparently I committed the worst sin ever because I didn't want to talk to people or do anything.

Are you personally guaranteeing none of this shit will happen again?

18. =PVCS) Cpatton

=PVCS) Cpatton Member

Teef, we can talk about your problems if you want, but I'd be much happier to talk in TS or something, this isn't Dr. Cpatton and friends (and Ikalx, since apparently we aren't friends) and I'd like to keep it that way. :P

Also yea, if you wanted to play Teef, I'd stick you in a group with others you got a long with. IE you wouldn't have to deal with Thor or RKB or anyone, you could interface with me if you like, but otherwise could be part of your own group with it's own set of objectives. Nothing ties you to having to deal with people you don't want to here.

-------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

My IRL friend has a Starfarer.

19. BigTeef

BigTeef Bootleg Headshot master

So you want to create a community where people form thier own groups under one title?
    Uhh, from my experience that only worked for people with over 100+.
    Are you sure you can build that into such a huge stock?

20. ukgamer

ukgamer more like noob gamer

I'm waiting for the Super Hornet and Reclaimer to be on sale.

[​IMG]