emp_glycencity feedback

Discussion in 'Mapping' started by complete_, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Smithy

Smithy Developer Staff Member Administrator

I wasn't able to play last night. :(
    How did it play then anyway, any issues?

2. complete_

complete_ lamer

the one time i played it 2 day ago was something like a 8v8 game and it ran pretty nice (nf seemed to have the same amount of trouble be has capping the flag after middle). the server crashed before it ended though and one game isnt really indicative of gameplay anyways

and then it was played just before and i missed it. 5v5 stack, it seems (looked in the console). spartacus messaged me saying be won glycen in under 4 minutes

3. Empty

Empty Member

Low pop didn't really work out very well, I was on BE.

I spawned I think maybe 3 or 4 seconds late into the match, NF was already capping mid, then BE came through with an APC and took mid then rushed second to last. I mopped up after the APC and cleaned up the stragglers (stopped NF retaking mid, which is why it was over in 5 minutes, if I hadn't killed their second dude at mid then NF could have made a comeback)

Anyway, the map is wayyy too big for 5v5 so it's unsurprising it didn't work, there was no way to form a fighting line. It was a bit stacked (from what I could tell BE was probably 3 or 4 vets and NF had 2)

The only issue was NF had nooooo fucking chance of retaking their final flag once BE was inside, there's no way to get in there with the two automatic doors. Once that door opens you instantly eat a mortar, 2 rifleman clips and a grenade or two.

Overall, not enough players, a slight stack and just NF got unlucky that I decided to play rearguard and clear out stragglers instead of rushing forward with the APC.

4. Krenzo

Krenzo Administrator

Duke made Glycen City as a sequel to his BF1942 map Glycen Pipeline. He also made District. I also did a lot of work on them to optimize them since he didn't know how to do that part.

5. blizzerd

blizzerd Member

yes, duke is in fact the person i was thinking of, sorry i mixed them up.

6. Z100000M

Z100000M Vithered Weteran

while being in mid, game randomly gets all gray and shit

7. complete_

complete_ lamer

got the same thing. i don't know what causes it, and i thought silk had fixed it last version. you'll have to ask him, since its beyond my comprehension of hammer

on the gameplay side.... fun now right? (i know i enjoyed it. and it felt less of a stomp for nf)

e: spartacus mentioned the fences being able to be shot through. and i was going to fix it, but its always been like that so i'm not that bothered by it (theres tons of empires models that look like they can be shot through but cant)

8. Trickster

Trickster Retired Developer

I think it's a colour correction issue.

9. Z100000M

I was just thinking about one thing that always bothered me, the fact that the side path on the nf side is so concealed. Unless someone showed you, you wouldnt even know its there, which lead to be just waltzing in and screwing shit hard while most nf remains oblivious.
    Itd be nice if there was something making it obvious that its an actual route.

10. complete_

complete_ lamer

is it really a problem though? you dont want to draw too much attention so that its a noob trap. and it acts as a sort of counterbalance to the small road compared to the be side. ive seen plenty of battles inside that building as well
    think of it as the equivalent of taking the shortcut on the be side.

11. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

I thought we had a deal.

I un-awesome the shotgun and you make the chain link fence operate like an actual chain link fence. The shotgun is literally a double damage shotty pistol now. What more do you want?

12. complete_

complete_ lamer

i already changed that specific part of the fence to the BE model fence thing in the next version. but then i noticed theres a fence on the other side aswell. and i know what the fence is meant to do, and its definitely not to let bullets through. the gameplay comes first

besides that, i still need a reason to justify releasing a new version (maybe change tickets to eastborough-style)?

e: and nobody has pointed out the horribly make-shift metal thing by the fence, which has upset me greatly

13. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

Fuck reasons. Iterate or die. Ship dat sheet.

14. complete_

complete_ lamer

also how the hell did i manage to be in charge of a model acting like its supposed to when i only know basic hammer functions

15. Z100000M

I dont know, how did pubbers get to be in charge of balance?

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

Pubbers are all remaining players, every clan is deeeeead.

17. complete_

complete_ lamer

jpl most active clan 2k14

anyways heres changes im making for the next version:
    lowering tickets
    making only the middle flag bleed
    capturing the second to last flag will add tickets (to encourage pushing)
    the "empty" rooms where the opposing team spawns will now have ammo in them (to encourage pushing)

thoughts on the changes or the map at whole?

18. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

how does it encourage pushing? its a perfect method to prolong the game till the outgunned team reaches -1 while the other ranks up ticket after ticket.

i mean i get your idea - but im sure you get mine.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  19. complete_

complete_ lamer

well if they capture the flag, it doesn't prolong the game at all. not unless the outgunned team manages to push back from their last flag, which is hard enough to do. usually once you get that second to last flag its easy to win.
    its meant to prevent people from holing up in the middle until they win by...doing exactly what you mentioned. making the better team want to humiliate the other team by racking up ticket after ticket.

the ticket bleed/increase isnt like 1/sec, if thats what you're worried about