Sexy bullet impacts

Discussion in 'General' started by Empty, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Empty

Empty Member

Tired of sources ugly bullet impacts? Tired of 50cal rounds hitting the ground and causing a piece of dust to fall off? Tired of not getting excited EVERY time you shoot a piece of metal?

Most of all, are you tired of having all these extra frames per second? Then look no further!

http://a.pomf.se/vwnfot.webm
    http://a.pomf.se/hntgbc.webm
    http://a.pomf.se/rasqvk.webm

Installation instructions:
    1) Download: http://a.pomf.se/amvbdb.rar
    2) Extract files to empires/particles
    3) Add to autoexec.cfg (empires/cfg) the line: cl_new_impact_effects 1

You can disable the particles again by removing that line from the autoexec.cfg

FAQ
    They make my FPS drop!
    That's not a question. They make your FPS drop because they're overdesigned as fuck to look as ridiculously over the top and pretty as possible, if you can't run them smoothly turn them off.

Why do they block vision?
    I was inspired by FEARs bullet impacts, which after a gunfight settles down leave the area full of smoke for almost a minute. The impacts are also really fucking big just because it's cooler that way, they look awesome.

Why are you releasing these now?
    These cause the game to crash. Okay now I've got your attention, they used to cause the game to crash, as soon as the map changed they would cause your empires to die, for some reason they aren't doing it any more, my money is on Candles. Anyway, as far as I know they are stable in the current version of empires, but if you notice your game crashing shitloads, then you might want to disable these.

2. ImSpartacus

ImSpartacus nerf spec plz

The shotgun's smoke sticks around about 1-2s too long, but other than that, why the fuck aren't these in the game? Fuck performance. I'd rather have people going for high performance shit-particles to enable their potatos to play empires than vice versa.

3. Grantrithor

Grantrithor Member

They look cool and all, but is there any way to make the particles come out in the direction of momentum without any code support?

4. Empty

Empty Member

All guns use the same impacts, a 5mm bullet will cause as much smoke as 50cal.
    They aren't in because they're way over the top, if I was going to actually make custom impacts they'd be similar in size to default particles.

Metal reflects sparks realistically, smoke however does not. I did this because smoke looks a lot better if it comes out at 90 degrees to the surface. Much more visible and cool looking. Most bullets hit the ground close to parallel with the surface so they dust just kinda ends up flat on the floor and it looks bad, also you actually can't see the particles if they reflect in that manner and I feel the shooter should have the best experience.

5. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Empty, they have improved my empires experience by 402%:D

6. Empty

Empty Member

These have been added to SVN and will eventually go into the next release of empires where you will be able to use the console command to enable them.
    I might eventually go back and tweak them more but dont bet on it.

7. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

I split the difference; they're committed to the SVN but not enabled by default, so it doesn't ruin the people who's processing chip is a Dorito.

8. Lazybum

Lazybum :D Staff Member Moderator

Can you add on a option the multiplayer tab in settings to enable sexy particles? I'd rather it in the graphic tab, but it doesn't look easy to modify that tab. Just so people don't have look in random thread for info on how to enable something.

Also I really want to thank empty for this thread, I finally found out why my game kept starting with developer set to 1. Was bothering me since summer.

9. Angry

Angry Junior Member

Can we get pretty Company of Heroes esqe shell impacts now too?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Kylegar

Kylegar Specstax Rule

I feel like those would be freaking awesome if the smoke didn't hang out forever.

Looks good though.

11. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I honestly think if you could just try and make the smoke project in the direction the bouncing bullet would take, it would look almost as cool and wouldn't block vision as much.

12. Empty

Empty Member

You're entitled to your opinion but I've spent hours making and looking at these particles from all directions. I've literally sat in gmod with god mode on, spawned 20 turrets and just made them shoot at me to get an idea of what it's like to get shot at. I've fired thousands, tens of thousands of bullets and shells just at the ground, to get an idea for how they look.

So you can trust me when I say they look better as they are.

13. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

Well in that case. Would still be awesome, if we could have low performance versions of them and actually force people to use them. That way they could run on slower machines, but would give no advantage to those who use the low quality ones.

14. Empty

Empty Member

Nah.
    It's not a feature, just a nice 'mod'

15. flasche

flasche Member Staff Member Moderator

i still think the old new nukes were fucking awesome :)

[​IMG]

16. D.D.D. Destroyer

D.D.D. Destroyer Member Staff Member Moderator

1. Implement sv_pure through black magic and witchcraft
    2. Implement the new particles
    3. Implement low-quality, even more obscuring particles because they have rough edges
    4. ???
    5. PROFIT

17. ViroMan

ViroMan Black Hole (*sniff*) Bully

put the minecraft particles in that empty made a few years ago and marvel at how awesome things look. He had to one up me when I put out a pack of lower res particles that gave more fps this his FPS eating smoking creations. No, I do mean smoking there was so much smoke you couldn't see what you were shooting at after the 2nd shot. It did look great though. God that artillery and its 5 second smoke though.

18. f1r3w4rr10r

f1r3w4rr10r Modeler

I still remember those.

19. FN198

FN198 Member

Empty, I really like these a lot. Perhaps you could nudge the detail down a bit to non-ridiculous levels and put them in the game? I haven't tested them yet but from the webms they look like they should be committed to the production version.

20. Candles

Candles CAPTAIN CANDLES, DUN DUN DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUN.

They'll be in the next version, just disabled by default. You'll be able to enable them simply by using the console command.